PDA

View Full Version : K9 Spades SB

all_aces
04-02-2003, 08:59 PM
I'm playing 5/10 online shorthanded. The game is very passive for a short game. Anyway, here's the hand...

I'm SB with K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif UTG limps, MP folds, button raises, I call, BB folds, UTG calls. 3 of us see the flop:

7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I check, UTG checks, button bets, I raise, UTG folds, button reraises, I just call.

Turn is A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif I bet out. Button calls.

River is A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif I check, button checks, and my flush is good.

Comments?

Ed Miller
04-02-2003, 10:23 PM
I'm playing 5/10 online shorthanded. The game is very passive for a short game.

I don't like your play on this hand. Preflop, I would fold K9s. Your small blind in the 5-10 game is only $2, and the raiser is marked with a strong hand in a passive game. I like your turn play, because the flop play marks your opponent with a big pair (most likely) or perhaps AJ. The Ace is likely to be a scare card for him, so you need to bet your hand. On the river, I think you need to value bet. Your opponent most likely has a hand like QQ or KK here. Your opponent will call, but he will almost certainly not bet for you. If he raises, I think you can probably fold.

elysium
04-02-2003, 11:35 PM
hi all
you must fold here pre-flop. you have a UTG limper and a button raiser with the BB to act. your position is lousey and you can get into a lot of trouble with this holding. now that you're in, you must bet out. you have the button reading you weak, and he will call all the way. lots of danger here all. you cannot play hands like this and win all. they look good, but you can really get trapped.

all_aces
04-03-2003, 12:46 AM
Yeah... I won the hand but it still felt wrong somehow, that's why I posted it here. Your points about folding this hand preflop are well taken, and once I was in, a value bet on the river was definitely called for.

Thanks for the responses guys.

cpk
04-03-2003, 03:57 AM
There are a lot of otherwise passive players who sometimes will bluff if checked to on the river. I find this to be common online. You can check here to draw a bluff. It will also discourage bluffs from more competent players.