PDA

View Full Version : Is Luck your enemy?

Rich P.
04-02-2003, 08:50 PM
I posted this a few days ago on the Psychology forum but got little response. I think that's because most everyone agrees. I,however, am posting it here to see if there's more of a response.

I had an insight yesterday about the truth of the statement that "Luck is your enemy." I would like to share it with you and get some responses.

First, luck is your enemy, because you want skill to be the determining factor not luck. Presumably, you are better than your opponents, so luck helps your opponents more than it helps you.

Second, the sooner you realize that "Luck is your enemy" the sooner you will stop waiting for cards and the sooner you will start playing poker. John Voruhas' (sp) book "Killer Poker" helped me to have this realization. The truth is that you can't expect to get lucky. In fact, you can expect to get unlucky. So you need to play the best poker you can.

Combine this with his other maxum, "Go Big or Go Home," and what it translates into is a much more agressive game with more opening bets and raises combined with a superior ability to fold when your are beat.

Mason Malmuth
04-03-2003, 03:40 AM
Hi Rich:

I've written on many occasions that luck is the hook that keeps the bad players playing. So in that sense, it is certainly your friend.

Best wishes,
Mason

rigoletto
04-03-2003, 05:30 AM
I guess it depends on the perspective. Whenever I hit my hand on the river I allways think that I was lucky. Then I think again and realize that this was the hand I played for /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif , which leads me to believe in the saying: Luck favors the prepared mind!

TobDog
04-05-2003, 09:29 PM
I think, like Mason said, that luck is the hook that keeps the poor players coming back, because if they never won, they would never play, and only the best players would play against each other, no new "blood" would enter the games, the house would eat up everyones bankroll, and everyone would have to get a job(very bad thing). On the surface though, I would guess that luck in the short term is bad for a better players consistancy and good for a bad players ego. But for the long term, the "luck" will even out, or at least close to it. Therefore the better players will win in the long run, they just need to know that they are going to get run down on their way to fame and fortune, and adjust their brain accordingly. Anyone else see it that way?

tobdog

Easy E
04-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Without it, you'd earn a lot less.... because of who you'd be playing against on a regular basis.

Embrace a new word- "variance". Let the Tao of fluctuation sink to your core...

SittingBull
04-06-2003, 08:39 PM
I would be a CONSISTENT LOSER over time because the weak/bad players would no longer play.
Hence,in the long run,"LUCK" is MY friend- /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif -in the short run,"LUCK" is TEMPORARILY UNfriendly to me. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
Hence,I do want LUCK to remain at my table /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif --EVEN if I do become frustrated with him ONCE IN AWHILE! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
Happy pokering, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif