PDA

View Full Version : Session Review #1 Hand #45

raisins
08-20-2005, 05:13 AM
Party Poker Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
5 folds, Button raises, Hero 3-bets, 1 folds, Button calls.

Flop: (7.00 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)
Hero bets, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)
Hero bets, Button calls.

River: (6.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)
Hero bets, Button calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB.

Are you betting the river to collect a bet from an 8 and because you would call a river bet in case he is bluffing with something like A9 no spade? A Queen is pretty unlikely with the calls on the flop and turn. His most likely hand is an 8 and if he had a flush draw with it he may have raised the turn. The 8s without a draw check behind so your ratio of hands on the river that give action is worse with the check call line than the bet fold. Is this the logic behind the river action?

If so, I'm thinking it's also somewhat opponent dependent. A tricky aggressive opponent who raises the river with 2nd or 3rd nut flush and also bluff raises would be a better fit for a check call.

Not necessarily criticizing the hand I just want to make sure I undersatnd the action beyond, "Oh, Clarkmeister's Theorem".

regards,

raisins

oreogod
08-20-2005, 06:59 AM
curious, does anyone have the link to the original thread in which the Theorem was presented.

brazilio
08-20-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm putting thought into a check/fold on the river, I think this is a bad place for Clarkmeister's, as there are essentially no worse hands that will call, and few better hands that will fold, aside from perhaps a naked non-spaded Q.

08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Bump, because I'm curious on the answer, too.