PDA

View Full Version : Folding into the money

08-20-2005, 03:32 AM
How loose must a game be before you try this?

bennies
08-20-2005, 03:50 AM
Thats what everyone does around here, hadn't you noticed?

When we find out it didn't work (again) we start stealing - usually at level 5 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

08-20-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

When we find out it didn't work (again) we start stealing - usually at level 5 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean a more extreme version... ie ignore your cards.

I just played a game that got down to 5 with two stacks < 500 at lvl 3. Hadn't played a hand and then picked up AK in the BB with a limper and SB, and didn't know how to play.

Scuba Chuck
08-20-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just played a game that got down to 5 with two stacks < 500 at lvl 3. Hadn't played a hand and then picked up AK in the BB with a limper and SB, and didn't know how to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to poker.

Pepsquad
08-20-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there two stacks under ~500. Let's assume that when they go all-in and are called, it'll be a coin-flip situation. Granted, that's probably not the case but it keeps the math simple. Chances that BOTH of the shorties lose their coin flip and you fold into the money is 25%. If one of them doubles up, you're then the shortie that's looking for a hand to push. If you can't push with AK here, then you're in trouble.
An "ignore your cards" situation should be extremely rare, and the situation you're describing isn't even close to a good example.

08-20-2005, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there two stacks under ~500. Let's assume that when they go all-in and are called, it'll be a coin-flip situation. Granted, that's probably not the case but it keeps the math simple. Chances that BOTH of the shorties lose their coin flip and you fold into the money is 25%. If one of them doubles up, you're then the shortie that's looking for a hand to push. If you can't push with AK here, then you're in trouble.
An "ignore your cards" situation should be extremely rare, and the situation you're describing isn't even close to a good example.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had almost a full stack, it's bodog so that's about 900 in a 15/30.

GrekeHaus
08-20-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had almost a full stack, it's bodog so that's about 900 in a 15/30.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you fold AK here, you're pretty much conceding the fact that you're not going to get 1st or 2nd and are willing to take third. A nice thought, but as written above, one of the two shorties is likely to double up and then all of a sudden you're in a situation where you can't really fold into the money unless someone else goes bust.

You need to play this hand here. Stop being such a puss. I'm not sure how bodog works exactly, but I can still assure you that you're passing on a ton of EV by sitting on your ass.

The only time you should consider folding into the money is when it's on the bubble and there's a shorty who's really short. Usually, this means he'll be forced all in the next time it's his BB.

45suited
08-20-2005, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I hate waking up with a strong hand after multiple players have limped into my blind.

Why are you even thinking about folding ITM at this point?

??????/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif ?????

Pepsquad
08-20-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I hate waking up with a strong hand after multiple players have limped into my blind.

Why are you even thinking about folding ITM at this point?

??????/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif ?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely. You're looking for a reason to fold one of the best starting hands in holdem in a situation where I'm sometimes pushing any 2 - if I read the limper and SB as weak.