PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with very LAGy tables...

08-20-2005, 02:32 AM
I just started playing the .25/.50 tables on Bodog Poker (I've heard that there were a LOT of fish there) and I've noticed an unusual amount of of LAGiness for this limit level (I'm used to .25/.50 over at Stars).

With 1-2 raises preflop, how do you usually play these tables? When I go by my normal standards, I rarely see a flop, because the only hands worth cold calling 2 raises with come so infrequently. Granted, I should be happy that there are so many LAG fish playing with me, but I need a little advice on how to adjust my strategy (if at all). Thanks.

- thing85 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

ArturiusX
08-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Value bet like a fucker. Exploit your positional advantage to fold others out and get heads up.

Isolate often. If there's two lines you're thinking of, take the one that goes the cheap showdown.

Greg J
08-20-2005, 02:51 AM
Apparently Bodog has been advertising to rednecks (wrasslin', preseason football mags), so it would make sense that they have a lot of dumbasses there. I have been meaning to check them out. I wonder what' thier 2/4 game is like...?

Oha yeah -- Raise more preflop to isolate. Try to keep the bad players, esp laggies, to yr right, and 3 bet thier ass with ATo.

08-20-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oha yeah -- Raise more preflop to isolate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think probably every attempt to do that has just caused a bunch of cold callers to follow (I'm not sure I've seen many folds - this is great for the rake though). It's very hard to isolate anyone. It's nice at times of course, because when you hit your hand, you always have a decent sized pot waiting for you. Also, they have an unlimited 20% bonus on ANY deposit (not just the initial deposit), but it's a bitch to get the raked hands at the micro limits.

08-20-2005, 04:01 AM
There are two ways you can adjust here, one involves bigger swings and the other involves far less hands played.

When there's only one raise to you, play it by the book
When there's two or more raises to you-

Bigger Swings: Re-raise with 99-AA, AKs-ATs, KQs, AK-AJ
Lesser Swings: Re-raise with QQ-AA and AKs. FOLD THE REST

What I'd prefer to do is switch tables. If not possible, I'd rather go with the lesser variance route. Even though it's only 2% VP$IP, it's a near sure winner against these maniacs!

In a 10-max table, every 10 hands you lose .75 BB ($0.75 in .5/1). If you only played 2% of your hands, you'd be playing 1 out of 50 hands - which means you'd lose 3.75 BB folding all those times. Then you pick up QQ-AA or AKs and join the ride. You have SUCH a huge advantage against the maniacs you should be able to make up for the lost blinds easy. I'm not saying you're going to win with these hands every time you play them, but over the course of say 300 hands, you should have scooped up at least one or two HUGE pots.

08-20-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are two ways you can adjust here, one involves bigger swings and the other involves far less hands played.

When there's only one raise to you, play it by the book
When there's two or more raises to you-

Bigger Swings: Re-raise with 99-AA, AKs-ATs, KQs, AK-AJ
Lesser Swings: Re-raise with QQ-AA and AKs. FOLD THE REST

What I'd prefer to do is switch tables. If not possible, I'd rather go with the lesser variance route. Even though it's only 2% VP$IP, it's a near sure winner against these maniacs!

In a 10-max table, every 10 hands you lose .75 BB ($0.75 in .5/1). If you only played 2% of your hands, you'd be playing 1 out of 50 hands - which means you'd lose 3.75 BB folding all those times. Then you pick up QQ-AA or AKs and join the ride. You have SUCH a huge advantage against the maniacs you should be able to make up for the lost blinds easy. I'm not saying you're going to win with these hands every time you play them, but over the course of say 300 hands, you should have scooped up at least one or two HUGE pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good reply; I like your thinking on that. Unfortunately, Bodog doesn't have many tables at the lower limits (usually only 1 at .25/.50 and sometimes not even that) so I'm stuck there if that's the limit I'm going to play at. I'll take what you said into consideration and adjust my play. My only fear was that I'd loosen up to the point where my play would be -EV. It helps to hear from someone else and confirm what I know is right.

Thanks.

08-20-2005, 04:48 AM
I've been thinking a little more about the potential wins in those pots when you have QQ-AA or AKs. Since it was probably capped PF and I imagine there are at least two other players sticking around for all 4 PF bets, that's 6 BB in the pot already. That alone makes up for your lost blinds.

And with your hands being so strong, you're more than likely to win much more in these pots against two (or more) other players.

How many players typically are coming along for the 3-bet or more ride? And what's the post-flop action like afterwards? Those also could factor into your decisions. Against many loose-passive (post-flop passive) players, you can probably add a few more hands profitably, like AXs and many more pocket pairs.

grjr
08-20-2005, 06:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently Bodog has been advertising to rednecks (wrasslin', preseason football mags), so it would make sense that they have a lot of dumbasses there. I have been meaning to check them out. I wonder what' thier 2/4 game is like...?

Oha yeah -- Raise more preflop to isolate. Try to keep the bad players, esp laggies, to yr right, and 3 bet thier ass with ATo.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, the .50/1 and 1/2 limit games at Bodog SUCK. I hate playing there but I've got a bitchin bonus I'm working off. Problem is, all the other bonuswhores are working off a bonus too. Don't know about the 2/4 game. Also, there's a lot more NL games so that's probably where the fish are.