PDA

View Full Version : bad preflop call, nice flop.

iluzion
08-20-2005, 02:18 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 ($59.95)
CO ($32.70)
Button ($22.25)
SB ($15.85)
BB ($19.57)
UTG ($31.10)
Hero ($29.55)
MP1 ($24)
MP2 ($26.35)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.35) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, Hero..?

No reads. Very new to this no-limit ring game stuff, is this a place to slow play or do I go ahead and raise?

JihadOnTheRiver
08-20-2005, 02:21 AM
1. This was not a bad preflop call.

2. Raise the flop. $4.

imported_anacardo
08-20-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 ($59.95)
CO ($32.70)
Button ($22.25)
SB ($15.85)
BB ($19.57)
UTG ($31.10)
Hero ($29.55)
MP1 ($24)
MP2 ($26.35)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.35) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, Hero..?

No reads. Very new to this no-limit ring game stuff, is this a place to slow play or do I go ahead and raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think you played the flop incorrectly? Looks perfect. G'head and pot-raise the flop, start trying to build a big one.

iluzion
08-20-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What makes you think you played the flop incorrectly? Looks perfect. G'head and pot-raise the flop, start trying to build a big one.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you meant preflop, I didn't think calling a raise with a pair like taht was good, but then again as I said I'm new to this. As for the flop, I raised to $3, he folded. Had he called the raise, how much do I make the turn bet for?

imported_anacardo
08-20-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you meant preflop, I didn't think calling a raise with a pair like taht was good, but then again as I said I'm new to this. As for the flop, I raised to $3, he folded. Had he called the raise, how much do I make the turn bet for?

[/ QUOTE ]

By cold-calling that raise in early position with tens you're essentially playing them as a speculative hand for set value, which is perfectly reasonable. Flop comes, you've made your set, so let's start building as big a pot as we can against the raiser.

In the event of a call:
Pot the turn if checked to, regardless of what comes. If he comes out betting if an A or K hits the turn, fantastic. Pot-reraise and try to get it all in, as you're paying off quad Ks or a turned set of aces here, as it's mathematically far more likely that Villain imagines his top two pair or trip kings to be good. Only in the event of a confident bet or check-raise with a turn Q or J would I worry at all about set over set, but, truth be told, I wouldn't be all that worried. Getting stacked with a beaten middle set is pretty much automatic at $25NL with only one buyin behind you.

Obviously, if the turn shows no paint, you're golden, and should continue betting with the intent of getting as much in the middle as possible.

imported_anacardo
08-20-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By cold-calling that raise in early position with tens you're essentially playing them as a speculative hand for set value, which is perfectly reasonable. Flop comes, you've made your set, so let's start building as big a pot as we can against the raiser.

In the event of a call:
Pot the turn if checked to, regardless of what comes. If he comes out betting if an A or K hits the turn, fantastic. Pot-reraise and try to get it all in, as you're paying off quad Ks or a turned set of aces here, as it's mathematically far more likely that Villain imagines his top two pair or trip kings to be good. Only in the event of a confident bet or check-raise with a turn Q or J would I worry at all about set over set or a Broadway straight, but, truth be told, I wouldn't be all that worried. Getting stacked with a beaten middle set is pretty much automatic at $25NL with only one buyin behind you.

Obviously, if the turn shows no paint, you're golden, and should continue betting with the intent of getting as much in the middle as possible.

Malachii
08-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Why is this a bad preflop call? Pot is his ass on the flop. Bet the pot on the turn. Repeat on river.

Edit: Just read the other posts. Anyways, I have nothing of value to add to this thread that Anacardo hasn't already said, so listen to him. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif