PDA

View Full Version : When everything goes against you, it's time to take a break (again)

AA suited
08-20-2005, 01:06 AM
Sigh..

it's that time again where everybody except me catches their 2 and 3 outers; where my steals run into premium hands; where they will always catch runner-runner.

This week:
-20 buy ins at $55
-20 buy ins at $109 with 12 OTM

Going to be sitting at Starbucks and replaying hh from this week's games. Also, going to have paper/pencil and taking notes.

Last time i tried to do this, it took about 1/2 an hr per game. Unfortunately, i stopped after 2 days and 20 games.

This time I'm going to try for EVERY game this week. Looks like i'm going to be at Starbucks for a while.

See you all next month...

(Unless someone can suggest a better/more productive way for me to figure out what's wrong in my game?)

johnnybeef
08-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Dude,

Suck it out, welcome to variance. I myself am in the middle of a 1100 sng break even stretch at the 55s and 33s.

Johnny

Hendricks433
08-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Well you wont hit 2 or 3 outers all that often cause you get your money in with the best of it most of the time. You dont get a ton of chances to hit those cause you dont play and call with crap. Theres also those times you inevitably get in against an over pair or what not but anyways. Good Luck and wish ya the best.

08-20-2005, 01:19 AM
It might make things a little easier to review if you use the new converter. (Makes your actions turn blue, too! Easier to see /images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Check it out.

BETA SNG Hand History Converter (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3190610&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

SlackerMcFly
08-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Both of you need to switch games for a couple of days. Play a few Omaha Hi/Lo or Stud games (single table them). Load up a few Limit or Pot limit tourneys and work on your game.

Mix it up fellas! Learn to play post-flop all over again. Invigorate your mind with a new game or experience.

Here's to better cards and quality fun! Shalacka

AA suited
08-20-2005, 01:24 AM
oh, i know all too well about variance. but i'm pretty sure some of those loses were due to questionable plays.

when i was in the middle of my 650game breakeven streak, i reviewed my games, but quit after a short while because i couldnt concentrate. then i went on a heater. but i'm pretty sure my leaks are still there.

freemoney
08-20-2005, 01:46 AM
lol thats not variance, i can predict from very few hands or comments on lines taken with hands who will experience "bad variance". its such a lame excuse, you are much more likely break even over 1100 b/c of your own average play then variance.

citanul
08-20-2005, 03:15 AM
AA,

I mean this in the nicest possible way:

You are simply the whiniest person I've ever seen. You seem to post about every mild to semi-serious downswing you ever experience. Further, you don't do it in any constructive fashion, you just go "Oh no, I'm down x buyins again, those guys keep sucking out, bad variance." This is all well and good to put in your IMs to your friends or whatever, but for god's sake, we really don't need to hear about it every 3 days.

If you have to write about every downswing, get a blog or something, I dunno.

If you must post about it here, at least try to figure out an angle by which anyone else might care. Write about what you think changed, write about what you think you were doing wrong all the time, etc. Don't just say "I got 2 outed for a week," because well, we've all had that happen. The losing players and the winning players. You however seem to have what's verging on quite a large sample size of losing or break even poker. You should consider that you might need to actually rethink things you're doing on a more fundamental level, instead of just chalking it up to variance.

I wish you all the best and hope you come back from your studies re-energized and on a tear, but I also hope not to see much more of this silliness out of you in the future.

citanul