PDA

View Full Version : I've decided to be the biggest wuss in poker.

EnderFFX
08-20-2005, 12:51 AM
I have a bankroll of $800 and I'm not leaving the $11 till i have $1100. I'm 8 tabling the $11, till I hit the $1100 mark and then i'm going to slowly move into 8 tabling the $22. Fun stuff!

I've played the $22's and actually have a higher ROI and ITM then i do in the $11's. I just don't think I can mentally handle a huge dip in my BR with a bad losing streak.

Big wuss or smart management?

I'm leaning toward big wuss.

08-20-2005, 12:56 AM
I think your a wuss. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

EnderFFX
08-20-2005, 01:01 AM
I should have made this a poll, but it would kill my fragile ego to see 100% of the board thinks i'm a wuss.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hendricks433
08-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Panzy! but better safe than sorry. If you think you cant handle a big downswing than just take it easy. No need to be in a huge hurry.

SlackerMcFly
08-20-2005, 01:10 AM
FWIW - I have single-tabled the $11, $22 and $33's, cashed out (at your current BR) a few times in the past 6 months.

If your goal is to make another $300 and you are any good at all, 8-tabling the $11's should get you there in about 1/2 a day.

Maybe you should try 4-tabling (or less) at the $22's until you have better skills and real money. Then you'll have a roll and the balls that might help you get through the downswings when you decide to move it on up.

SlackerMcNoob

EnderFFX
08-20-2005, 01:12 AM
I started with a roll of $500 and went through a horrible downswing. When my BR dipped below $300 I started to worry, went through my hand histories, talked to some friends and realized a couple of important errors I was making.

When I dipped I didn't worry about the BR I worried about how I was finishing and why I was exiting tournaments the way I was. It was nice not to have BR as the first worry on my mind.

EnderFFX
08-20-2005, 01:16 AM
That was suggested to me by a very good player on the 2+2 forums. I have definitly been considering going that route. I guess the next question is (And I know it's been asked a million times) i there a significant skill different between the $11 and the $22. From what i've heard. $6,$11,$22,$33 are about the same with each level a bit harder then the last. $55 is a jump, $109 is a big jump, and $215 is a significant jump. My goal is to 8 table the $33.

From the 200 or so tournaments I've played at the $22, beginning and end game felt a little bit tighter. Everything else felt about the same. I have 1000+ tourneys at the $11 so I have a pretty good feel for them.

starvs
08-20-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That was suggested to me by a very good player on the 2+2 forums. I have definitly been considering going that route. I guess the next question is (And I know it's been asked a million times) i there a significant skill different between the $11 and the $22. From what i've heard. $6,$11,$22,$33 are about the same with each level a bit harder then the last. $55 is a jump, $109 is a big jump, and $215 is a significant jump. My goal is to 8 table the $33.

From the 200 or so tournaments I've played at the $22, beginning and end game felt a little bit tighter. Everything else felt about the same. I have 1000+ tourneys at the $11 so I have a pretty good feel for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just made the jump from the 11s to the 22s. If you can beat the 11s there is no possible way you cannot beat the 22s. They are the exact same thing.

SlackerMcFly
08-20-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My goal is to 8 table the $33.

[/ QUOTE ]
And what steps are you taking to accomplish that goal?

The $22's might actually be a bit easier to beat because the players tend to be a bit more predictable (read: slightly fewer donks sucking out). The percentage is minimal, it's still a mine-field.

Good luck! Slacker

EnderFFX
08-20-2005, 03:12 AM
"And what steps are you taking to accomplish that goal?"

To me, the first step was seeing if i could 8 table the $11's. I wanted to see if i could handle the amount of information coming in as well as be able to react appropriately. I feel very comfortable 8 tabling the 11's. The best thing I did was I slowed down. I stopped making myself feel like I was rushed, and took the extra 3-5 seconds to make a correct decision instead of a hasty decision. This is obviously very important during bubble time. I've worked on my end game, read a lot, played even more. I got HoH 1 & 2 and have read throught them a couple of times, mainly focusing on the heads up and the short handed situations.

My next goal is to go step by step to 8 table 22's. I figured I would start with 1 22 and work my way up. If I don't feel any differences between the games (from what I heard I shouldn't) after a couple hundred tourneys I will jump to 8 tabling.

I've always felt more comfortable playing the 22's then the 11's, don't know why.

Isura
08-20-2005, 05:57 AM
Dude, don't be a wuss.

I remember you were one hell of a lag at stars 2/4 6-max.

45suited
08-20-2005, 06:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If your goal is to make another $300 and you are any good at all, 8-tabling the $11's should get you there in about 1/2 a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to do the math on this before making a comment like this.

So, let's just say for simplicity sake that he's putting $88 into play per hour, allowing him to take a break, eat, take a leak, whatever.

What is half a day in your world? Say he does this for 8 hours (a FULL workday of 8 tabling, which I think is more than what you were getting at). For him to make $300, he would have to have an ROI of 42.6%, 8 tabling for 8 hours.

Now you say that if he wants to make $300, all he has to do is 8 table the 11s for half a day "if he's any good at all".

If you could 8 table the 11s for 42.6%, 8 hours a day long term, you would make $109,500 in a year.

Imagine what someone could do if they were better than "any good at all".

I'm the first to say that the 11s and 22s are soft as a baby's bottom, but statements like this are pretty ridiculous.

skipperbob
08-20-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to do the math on this before making a comment like this.

So, let's just say for simplicity sake that he's putting $88 into play per hour, allowing him to take a break, eat, take a leak, whatever.

What is half a day in your world? Say he does this for 8 hours (a FULL workday of 8 tabling, which I think is more than what you were getting at). For him to make $300, he would have to have an ROI of 42.6%, 8 tabling for 8 hours.

Now you say that if he wants to make $300, all he has to do is 8 table the 11s for half a day "if he's any good at all".

If you could 8 table the 11s for 42.6%, 8 hours a day long term, you would make $109,500 in a year.

Imagine what someone could do if they were better than "any good at all".

I'm the first to say that the 11s and 22s are soft as a baby's bottom, but statements like this are pretty ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Dude: Don't you be calling SLACKERMcDUFUS out on a math mistake....I'm Slacker's bodyguard.....He makes plenty of mistakes that are more atrocious and injury-prone than this one....Just wait until he tries to do a hand-analysis; then, after the laughter subsides, you can join in the SLACKER-BASHING /images/graemlins/blush.gif

EnderFFX
08-20-2005, 10:50 AM
I loved playing the 2/4 6 player at PStars, and yeah I played like a maniac. I have no idea how I managed to squeeze out any profit but I did.

I have financial goals when it comes to poker, but at the same time, I want to have fun playing. I enjoy the $11 sng for some reason, and i enjoy the $22 as well. I've been playing between 24-40 tourneys a day and I am amazingly (to me) not burning out.

I'm sure the 20's are easy.
I'm sure I can have a positive ROI when playing them.
I'm sure my BR can handle it.

But for some reason I have a worst-case scenario mindset when it comes to my BR.

Freudian
08-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Kiddie pool stuff. I'm playing the 22s with a roll of over $13k.

Every time I decide to move up I hit a downswing and find stuff I want to fix with my game.

One of my main problems every time I move up is that it takes a long time to accept a buy-in as a unit. I tend to think of it in monetary terms. And dropping $400 in a day was very hard to get used to. If I was to mentally treat a buyin at the 33s the same way I treat a buyin at the 11s and the 22s I would already be up there.

aleph_won
08-20-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm in near the same boat you are.
I 4-table ~3 hours a day on the $22 at Stars. Moving up next week (I hope) when I hit 50 buy-ins for $33. Or else buying another monitor, and 8-tabling.
I think the worry with downswings is very reasonable, because I have the same worry myself. I wouldn't want to see a run of 12 games not ITM with $800 on $22s.

SlackerMcFly
08-20-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was simply a method to illustrate how easy it can be to profit $300 over any given period of time. My point in the post wasn't to stab a dude, but to help him understand that making the $300 is part of the process, not THE process.

Besides, I openly admitted that I'm no good at math in my very first post to this forum. Read this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2450665&page=8&view=c ollapsed&sb=7&o=31&fpart=1) for a deeper understanding of my ineptitude.......

SkipperBob really isn't all that tough, BTW. Stop by a Mini-mart and get him some wine. That'll get you back on his good side. Moohaahaa!

SlackaMcMathDork

45suited
08-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Fair enough, Slacker.

I see that someone mentioned my name in a post about ridiculous ROI claims. Just so everyone knows, this was the post that I made - I was stating that a claim that 8 tabling the 11s at 42% ROI would be absurd.

For the record, I do agree with Lorinda that if one were to 1 or 2 table the 11s, a 40% ROI would be possible for the very top players at that level.

However, obviously, most would move up in limits if they were near this level. For me, I think that I'm crushing the 11s, and my ROI is under 40%. I also have never 8 tabled. Most of my games are done 2 tabling. The main reason is that I try to read the HH as the game is running and work on reads (like Gigabet suggested in one of his posts). I have been able to keep an ROI over 30% on the 11s this way, but to claim an ROI of +40% 8 tabling would be unbelievable.

I look over HHs of struggling 11s players on occassion, and when people say that a player "who's any good" could 8 table them for 42% (not what you said, but implied) it really makes them discouraged.

No harm though... take care.

NiR
08-20-2005, 03:22 PM
nothing wrong with starting with a better br. if u start with 600 in the 22's then 1 bad swing and you are -200. i started 22's after hitting $1000. but my br in the other 4 tables was 200 lol. well anyway 22's are exact same thing as 11's.

EnderFFX
08-20-2005, 06:30 PM
"One of my main problems every time I move up is that it takes a long time to accept a buy-in as a unit. I tend to think of it in monetary terms."

That is exactly my problem. When I drop 20 buyins I don't see it as statistical variance, I see it as dropping $220.