PDA

View Full Version : I REQUIRE CELL PHONE ADVICE

adamstewart
08-20-2005, 12:49 AM
I'm looking to get a new cell phone (and plan) this weekend.

I was in a store today and was very impressed by the MOTOROLA RAZR V3. Very, very, thin phone - a little pricey, though, but whatever.

Anyone have any experience, advice, or reviews for this phone???

Also, any have an input regarding the Samsong a740, a860, or P207??

Thanks!

Adam

MrMon
08-20-2005, 01:19 AM
Cool yes. But do you really need to pay $200 for a phone when you can get one for free? Or say $50?

Did here one guy say the only problem with the Razr is they are a bit delicate. The can't handle rough treatment at all.

adamstewart
08-20-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool yes. But do you really need to pay $200 for a phone when you can get one for free? Or say $50?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I need to? No.

Can I? Yes.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the tip, though. I've read several reviews on the internet. Most seem to really like the phone. Some even say it's the best one available. However, I've read the phonebook is a little primitive.

Anyone else?

Adam

ZBTHorton
08-20-2005, 01:52 AM
The Razr is a tight phone. Nokia has some much cooler phones that you can't get in the US yet...

At BBUY this weekend you can get a Razr for 89$ after rebates with new activation. Sounds like a rad deal to me.

DarkForceRising
08-20-2005, 01:59 AM
http://students.washington.edu/hmattiam/mystuff/icons/nokia_1260.gif

adamstewart
08-20-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Razr is a tight phone. Nokia has some much cooler phones that you can't get in the US yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

These Nokia phones.... you say they are better than the RAZR? Do you have any links to them? When will they be coming to North America (I'm in Canada).?

[ QUOTE ]
At BBUY this weekend you can get a Razr for 89$ after rebates with new activation. Sounds like a rad deal to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know if this applies to Canadian stores too (similar rebate, i mean)?

Adam

siccjay
08-20-2005, 02:04 AM
I just got the Black Razr and I love it so far. I don't have anything bad to say about it.

ZBTHorton
08-20-2005, 02:04 AM
Check BBUY.com

I have a Nokia 6260. It works in the US but can't be bought without a contract. The new 8800 series is pretty cool as well. I like the new Nokia N90 as well(2 megapixel camera)

James Boston
08-20-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Avoid Samsung at all costs.

ZBTHorton
08-20-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

adamstewart
08-20-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

REALLY?

I heard they were pretty good. A lot of my friends have them and have no complaints...

Please go on... i'm interested to hear.

Adam

adamstewart
08-20-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got the Black Razr and I love it so far. I don't have anything bad to say about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How's the:

- battery life?

- phonebook?

- reception?

- any other comments?

Adam

ucfryan
08-20-2005, 02:13 AM
I'd go with the new black Razr/Cingular.

ZBTHorton
08-20-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How's the:

- battery life? Depends on how much time you spend doing stupid random crap on your phone not related to talking.

- phonebook? Not horrible. Motorola's have very simple phone books though

- reception? It's a GSM phone. Always good.

- any other comments? Black is better. Don't drop it.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Mat Sklansky
08-20-2005, 02:17 AM
No phone advice, but my t-mobile plan has treated me very well for about 4 years.

James Boston
08-20-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

REALLY?

I heard they were pretty good. A lot of my friends have them and have no complaints...

Please go on... i'm interested to hear.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Samsung phone. I cracked the plastic screen that protects the LCD display. I wanted to fix it to protect the crack from leading to damgage of the LCD screen. At most, this plastic piece costs 10 cents. Samsung required that I give them my phone for a month, and pay them $60 for the repair, after the Verizon guy said he would fix it for free if I could get the replacement part. Bottom line, they refuse to sell parts so they can jack up the price on repairs, and keep your phone an unesessary amount of time. Other companies may do this, but this is the first time I've encountered it, and I won't buy their product again.

adamstewart
08-20-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd go with the new black Razr/Cingular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the black one actually have new features/hardware? or is it simply more visually appealling?

iMsoLucky0
08-20-2005, 02:21 AM
You should definitely go with the Sony swivel phone (i don't remember the specific model number but you should be able to figure out which one it is).

The Razr is supposed to have a pretty slow response time, is dainty/lightweight, and isnt set up that well.

The sony is sturdy, fast, and has the best camera on any phone, period. It also comes with several other accessories that the Razr doesn't. It comes with headphones, a memory stick, and an adaptor to hook up your memory stick to the computer. It even holds MP3s if you want it to.

Trust me, get the sony. (Unless you just like the smaller razr, thats the only reason I can see to get it.)

ZBTHorton
08-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Coming from someone who's worked for Cingular & T-mobile. I will never, ever, buy a Sony Ericsson phone. We had SO many problems with them. Software issues out the...wazoo.

As the training staff, we had access to anything we wanted...and even though Sony had some super cool stuff, we never used them.

ZBTHorton
08-20-2005, 02:24 AM
It does have the best camera though(next to the Nokia N90)

fluxrad
08-20-2005, 03:55 AM
I own a Razr (have for about 3 months). Here's the deal:

1. Phonebook: sucks. Nokia has the best, Motorola's interface is just kind of shitty.
2. Reception: Slightly better than average. Again, Nokia wins here, but my reception is about the same as the last phone I owned (A Nokia 6800). Then again, reception kind of sucks for Cingular anyway.
3. Battery - OK. I get about 3 days of slightly less-than-average use out of mine. I don't use bluetooth yet, which will seriously drain the battery.
4. Accessories. Terrible. Because the Razr has a USB interface, pretty much every accessory is particular to the Razr. If you need any accessory such as a car charger, headset, or whatever, you'll need to buy it for this phone, and this phone only.

All in all, the Razr is a vanity phone. Don't let anyone else tell you differently. If you're looking for a good all around phone, I'd suggest a Nokia of some sort. Ericsson makes some good phones as well although I'm not very impressed with the recption. But if you're looking for a phone that other people will be jealous of, the Razr is just about the only choice. Well, that or a Treo 650 (drool).

Maulik
08-20-2005, 04:21 AM
Samsung phones are great.

I've had Verizon now and the battery life on my Motorola sucks.

Willluck
08-20-2005, 04:29 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/wireless/B000A1329U/glance/qid=1124526483/br=1-2/ref=br_lf_wr_2/002-7088065-8702462

may not be the best phone, but it's free after you sign a plan.

MelchyBeau
08-20-2005, 04:39 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007NP8PW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I own this one and love it

Melch

oneeye13
08-20-2005, 05:46 AM
do you live in san diego? if so, make sure to also get a striped shirt and check it frequently in bars.

oneeye13
08-20-2005, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you live in san diego? if so, make sure to also get a striped shirt and check it frequently in bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

do people these dudes to be douches in other cities?

MrTrik
08-20-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

do people these dudes to be douches in other cities?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you expect people to understand that?