PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Card Games in Movies

12-21-2001, 01:44 PM
#5) The poker game in Cool Hand Luke ("Sometimes nothing's a real cool hand.")

#4) The "big hand" in A Big Hand for the Little Lady (Paul Ford steals the movie, not easy to do with that great cast.)

#3) The final hand in The Cincinnati Kid (Lancey Howard posts here sometimes.)

#2) Paul Newman getting the better of Robert Shaw on the train in The Sting ("What could I do, accuse him of being a better cheat than I am?")

#1) Judy Holliday driving Broderick Crawford crazy playing gin in what I think is possibly the funniest scene ever in movies in Born Yesterday.

(Holliday won the Best Actress Oscar, beating out, unbelievably, Bette Davis in All About Eve and Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard.)

12-21-2001, 02:49 PM
Grifter Barbara Stanwyck re-cheating dad Charles Coburn to rescue, for love, the rube he's fleecing in the same game (Henry Fonda).

"The Lady Eve," 1941 (Preston Sturges, dir.).

12-21-2001, 03:16 PM
What about John Candy in Stripes teaching that other guy how to play poker...all the while cleaning him out... "I'm a gambling man by nature...Go on, bluff me....that's right...I'm in too" (then he showed his full house against the guys no pair (or whatever))

Or Booger teaching the Korean(?) guy in Revenge of the Nerds... "You have too many kings here...let's replace these with 4 fresh cards"

Korean(?) guy: "I fink I have a frush"

Booger: "What the f*ck is a frush?!"

Sorry..I haven't seen either movie in a while, so character names and exact quotes escape me...but at the time both were funny as hell.

12-21-2001, 05:20 PM
How about WC Fields cutting hi card. The victim draws a king, Fields cuts one, says "Ace," and puts it back in the deck. Victim says he didn't see it. Fields fans through the deck, pulls out an ace and says "here it is" lol!

Dino.

12-21-2001, 07:43 PM
"Give me ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS dollars worth of chips." The look on his face when they give him one chip is priceless.

12-21-2001, 08:42 PM
Losing a poker hand means dire circumstances for James and Mandy Patinkin in The Music of Chance, based on Paul Auster's novel. Great performances from M. Emmett Walsh, Charles Durning, and Joel Grey, too.

John

12-21-2001, 09:56 PM
in the "careful what you wish for department"... how about the hand that wins decaprio and his buddy tickets to their doom in the beginning of the movie "Titanic"

12-22-2001, 01:08 AM
The poker game in The Odd Couple. Someone goes to the bathroom and one of the players says, "Good, it's the first time I'll know what he has in his hand all night."

12-22-2001, 02:10 AM
That wasn't from the Odd Couple. That happened in real life (I think George S. Kaufman said it while playing bridge).

12-22-2001, 12:28 PM
I've been thinking "Odd Couple" this whole thread.

Speed, to Vinny, who's spent the last few minutes deciding whether or not to call:

"This your first time on the riverboat, Mr. Maverick?"

I'm so glad no one's mentioned "Rounders" yet.

Bobby

12-23-2001, 12:06 AM
One of the worst novels I have ever read. Yet to see the film though.

KJS

12-24-2001, 01:30 PM
You mean you haven't read Love Story?

John

12-25-2001, 11:19 PM
Well, the card scenes are fairly typical but I thought Maverick was a hilarious movie.

Hey, it's on HBOS right now! I think I'll watch.

12-26-2001, 02:43 AM

12-26-2001, 02:45 AM
I like the scene from Cool Hand Luke the best. There's also a good scene from Cheers. I don't remember it well but I think Harry Anderson and the Coach pull one other on a card shark.

MD

12-26-2001, 08:15 PM
COACH: Did you see that, Harry?

HARRY: Yeah, Coach.

C: I scratched my nose.

H: Yeah, I saw that, Coach.

C: I scratched it because it itched.

H: Yeah, I thought that was why.

MARK: Fascinating conversation!

(LATER)

H: Coach, WHY did you scratch your nose???

C: I told you it was itchy!

Bobby

01-02-2002, 07:30 PM
tombstone, where wyatt earp turns out the faro dealer by grabbing him and leading him away by the ear. the guy actually thinks about drawing his gun and wyatt says something about how he better not 'skin that smokewagon'... great movie, awesome one-liners. doc holliday plays a bit of poker in it as well, but no real interesting hands.

also, in Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels, there is a game of 3-card brag with some pretty coll camera tricks and cheating methods. a cool card scene. (its a movie by the same director who made last year's Snatch )