PDA

View Full Version : 2 monitors + TV tuner??

Back In Black
08-20-2005, 12:34 AM
I've been searching a bit but can't find any reccomendations for setting up 2 monitors and having a TV tuner. I have a 2005fpw and a 2001fp and need to get them set up on my desktop. I would prefer dual DVI outputs but cannot find a single card that will do this w/ a TV tuner. Can I get 2 cards, one with single DVI & TV tuner, and another single DVI? Are there any complications with using 2 video cards as opposed to 1? Should I just ditch the TV tuner idea if I want 2 DVI's? I have found some cards that have DVI + VGA + TV tuner. Should I just pony up the $300 and get one of these? Thanks in advance for the help. As you can tell I am completely lost.

BTW - I have AGP, not PCI.

Guthrie
08-20-2005, 02:03 AM
Just buy a TV and set it beside your PC. I've never understood why people want to spend so much money and go to so much trouble to turn their PC into a TV.

handsome
08-20-2005, 02:31 AM
A basic TV tuner card ($20) acts as an input device while a dual DVI card ($150) acts as an output. Simple, cheap and very practical.

MyMindIsGoing
08-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Bacuse you can record, timeshift and do other things? Besides a tv card is far less expencive.

MyMindIsGoing
08-20-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A basic TV tuner card ($20) acts as an input device while a dual DVI card ($150) acts as an output. Simple, cheap and very practical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, this is the best solution.

Back In Black
08-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks a ton. I didn't know this was an option. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Guthrie
08-20-2005, 10:52 PM
That's called a video recorder. Still best to keep it off your PC, especially the one you use for poker. Why bog down the box that makes you money?

08-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Don't set your TV besides your computer monitor. You will ruin both of them. Electromagnetic interference or something like that. I ruined my TV doing that and learned my lesson.

As for turning your PC into a TV. You need the All-in-Wonder ATI Radeon card. I think that is the brand name. I know it's called All-in-Wonder , though. Do a search for it.

MyMindIsGoing
08-21-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's called a video recorder. Still best to keep it off your PC, especially the one you use for poker. Why bog down the box that makes you money?

[/ QUOTE ]

So I should get a video recorder and a tv instead of my $10 tv capture card? What makes it better to have it off my PC? Please explain. LOL, and what do you med bog down, the tv card uses hardly no cpu at all. I don't know what you guys do to your computers to make them run as bad as they do apperently....

Back In Black
08-22-2005, 07:37 PM
It sounds to me like you guys are confusing the issue. I just ordered this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815100129) and this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131304) . Will this do it MyMindIsGoing?

BBill
08-23-2005, 01:57 PM
just an FYI you'll get better quality, less choppy viewing if you get a tuner card that has hardware encoding which I don't think the kworld has.

If your on a budget its fine but if you want a tuner card with excellent quality for 75.00 I'd get the 550 Pro (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815117601#DetailSpecs)
A nice "video" card like your getting deserves a quality tuner card IMO

the included software with the 550 PRO is lously but you can download quality tuner software for free

MyMindIsGoing
08-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I see no problem why not. You do have PCI-express though and not AGP?

"BTW - I have AGP, not PCI."

One of the cards was a PCI-express, it will not fit in a normal PCI slot. If you have a AGP port (they are called ports since there is only one) it will not work.

Back In Black
08-23-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see no problem why not. You do have PCI-express though and not AGP?

"BTW - I have AGP, not PCI."

One of the cards was a PCI-express, it will not fit in a normal PCI slot. If you have a AGP port (they are called ports since there is only one) it will not work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for noticing this, but since my original post I realized my comp is a POS and picked up a new one so I now have PCI-express. Thanks again guys. Big help.