PDA

View Full Version : any1 making money at stars?

dan123
08-19-2005, 11:44 PM
ive played 30sngs at the 10 1 level and have won $1. im not a break even player. is any1 making money at the PS sngs or did they rig it so good players only break even. im a little worried that the us government has forced online poker sites to only let formely winning players break even. maybe im just being paranoid, but id like to hear from people who are actually making money at PS sngs over the long haul.

jdl22
08-19-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im a little worried that the us government has forced online poker sites to only let formely winning players break even.

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

edit:
to answer your question, I don't play on Stars but 30 is way too small a sample to be worried. You could be solidly a winning player and be down a fair bit after only 30 SNGs. If you are a winning player just keep at it.

Mr_J
08-19-2005, 11:51 PM
If you think 30 sngs is a sample then maybe you're not a winner.

"im a little worried that the us government has forced online poker sites to only let formely winning players break even"

ok...

There are definately winners at stars sngs (posting here).

raptor517
08-19-2005, 11:53 PM
i played a 20 dollar heads up tournament and won. i guess they didnt block me from winning.. then again.. i may not be a winner, so i win. savvy? holla

dan123
08-19-2005, 11:59 PM
what does savvy and holla mean? i m just wondering how people are doing this month at the ps sngs. please quell my paranoia. holla, (whatever the expletive that means)

wiggs73
08-20-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ive played 30sngs at the 10 1 level

[/ QUOTE ]
Does he have a large enough sample size? Check.

[ QUOTE ]
and have won $1. im not a break even player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there an anomoly in his statistics? Well... could a winning player possibly break even over 30 sng's? NO!!!!! So check.

[ QUOTE ]
is any1 making money at the PS sngs

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, now that I think of it... I don't think I've seen any postings of good Stars stats lately. Hm.... what's going on here? I don't get it, what gives?

[ QUOTE ]
or did they rig it so good players only break even. im a little worried that the us government has forced online poker sites to only let formely winning players break even.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh. This makes sense. Perfect sense. It's all coming together now...

In all seriousness, this might be the most ridiculous thing that I've ever read. I would have assumed you were kidding, only it's blatantly obvious that you aren't. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

Oluwafemi
08-20-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what does savvy and holla mean? i m just wondering how people are doing this month at the ps sngs. please quell my paranoia. holla, (whatever the expletive that means)

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sucking up carbon monoxide this month on PS. it's been a slow, agonizing torture. with the exception of about a three week period leading up to July 4th, the last three months or so have been poisonous. with as many river beats that i've suffered over that time frame, [paranoia] is definitely one word that would describe it along with UN- F#..KNG REAL! ok, that's two words. -funny how i've never had the same equivalent good luck that i've had with bad that i hear so many people talk about-

Oluwafemi
08-20-2005, 12:24 AM
...and my sample is definitely way larger than yours. hope this does'nt give you more bad luck.

pearljam
08-20-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im not a break even player.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got that right brother.

yvesaint
08-20-2005, 12:36 AM
no ones making money at stars

in fact, no ones ever played for 'the long haul'. you've done it dan123, you've played 30 SnGs. that's 'the long haul'. your sample size is huge, it seems the site is rigged.

dan123
08-20-2005, 12:45 AM
i appreciate all the wise comments, but still no one has really answered my question. maybe in the next few weeks you will see me as i truly am. A VISIONARY! my prediction is that no one has been able to make money in the sngs during august at ps. no one has sadi they have so far so well i dont think anyone has then. so thats that. whatevr cant wait to play you dankoys.

ps. i have a mood disorder and am very sensitive please try not to be a sarcastic monket totter.

peace, dan

Oluwafemi
08-20-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i appreciate all the wise comments, but still no one has really answered my question. maybe in the next few weeks you will see me as i truly am. A VISIONARY! my prediction is that no one has been able to make money in the sngs during august at ps. no one has sadi they have so far so well i dont think anyone has then. so thats that. whatevr cant wait to play you dankoys.

ps. i have a mood disorder and am very sensitive please try not to be a sarcastic monket totter.

peace, dan

[/ QUOTE ]

i have'nt, i've lost money. it's pretty much came by way of what i described in my original post. my pattern has been:

do so-so
lose buy-ins
make buy-ins back +
lose buy-ins
do so-so [breakeven]
make some buy-ins back
lose some
lose some more
do so-so
when some back
a lil more
lose some
lose some more
lose
lose
lose
lose
lose in every imaginable way, especially on the river to the worse hand.

Hendricks433
08-20-2005, 01:00 AM
I dont make a ton of money at stars. Im playing the $5.50's and the $6.50 turbos, I have some leaks in my bubble play that Im trying to plug and overcome. The players are absolutley horrible there and its tough when they get lucky on you. Like All in PF agaisnt QQ and AJ and guy rivers a 2nd jack. Play some more tourneys and see how it goes. Just cause you think your not a Breakeven player doesnt mean your a winning player. Post some hands and let some people give you advice.

Newt_Buggs
08-20-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im not a break even player.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got that right brother.

[/ QUOTE ]
nh

citanul
08-20-2005, 03:23 AM
<font color="white">OOh, this one's going to be fun:</font>

In fact very few people are making money off stars. There's a large people who have the "jinxed" accounts, like you, that are doomed to lose everything they put into the site. The rest of us have bought into stars at the beginning and became "elite" members. We invested in the site at the beginning and now are gauranteed to win in the long run. The only way to become and Elite member now is to purchase the status from someone who got it at the beginning, usually at a hefty markup.

If you would like more information about Elite member status, PM the Yugoslavian.

citanul

The Yugoslavian
08-20-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you would like more information about Elite member status, PM the Yugoslavian.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....if I can just have them stop me from playing ridiculously drunk and from playign 3 HU games at once (1 vs. Irieguy) then I'm not sure I'll ever lose.

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yugoslav

jon462
08-20-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="white">OOh, this one's going to be fun:</font>

In fact very few people are making money off stars. There's a large people who have the "jinxed" accounts, like you, that are doomed to lose everything they put into the site. The rest of us have bought into stars at the beginning and became "elite" members. We invested in the site at the beginning and now are gauranteed to win in the long run. The only way to become and Elite member now is to purchase the status from someone who got it at the beginning, usually at a hefty markup.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought poker champs was the only pyramid poker site, damn.

Burno
08-20-2005, 05:57 AM
Since you asked, I'm running well at stars SNG's this month, and I've played over 250 them so far.

Plus, you're retarded.

vabogee
08-20-2005, 06:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since you asked, I'm running well at stars SNG's this month, and I've played over 250 them so far.

Plus, you're retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like I'm now retarded after reading this thread.

45suited
08-20-2005, 07:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm sucking up carbon monoxide this month on PS. it's been a slow, agonizing torture. with the exception of about a three week period leading up to July 4th, the last three months or so have been poisonous. with as many river beats that i've suffered over that time frame, [paranoia] is definitely one word that would describe it along with UN- F#..KNG REAL! ok, that's two words. -funny how i've never had the same equivalent good luck that i've had with bad that i hear so many people talk about-

[/ QUOTE ]

How did I know that you would be the one poster to respond to this post with a heartfelt, "I feel your pain" reply? It's nice to see that you've found a friend. Maybe you guys should write to 2+2 about setting up a bad beats forum. You could even be the moderator.

Keep playing poker. You guys are obviously very good players who have been flagged by the poker software to have bad beats. But I'm sure that eventually the glitch in the programs will be fixed and you can begin to experience the success that you deserve.

<font color="white"> And please start playing on PartyPoker. I want to buy a bigscreen tv for football season. <font color="white"> </font>

lastchance
08-20-2005, 07:14 AM
Seriously, the problem is that in poker, you are going to lose if you are the best player at the table. It's very, very easy to lose 10 buy-ins over 30 SNG's, even if you are completely crushing the field to a 30% ROI.

One of the best things about poker is that you have to realize that you are going to lose, often. It doesn't matter how well you play. If you don't catch cards, suck out, hit flops, make your draws, or have your AQ/66 hands hold up, it's not going to matter how well you play, you have to expect to lose.

That is one of the biggest reasons you should keep playing poker, IMHO. The luck factor is something every person needs to deal with, and not just as a poker player.

I think I'm a lot better person because of it.

kasey2004
08-20-2005, 07:23 AM
people play poker to actually win money ?

I thought it was expensive entertainment /images/graemlins/blush.gif

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

AlcateL
08-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Poker sites have nothing to do with the US because of your governments attitude to gambling. what the hell makes you think the US government can force them to do anything.

this is so ridiculous, just because its the largest economy dosen't mean it can force a company in another country to do what it says lol, i hate these ignorant americans (which are actually very few and far between on 2+2) but you sir are one. Theres no way PS could do this don't you understand? They'd basically be stealing money if they're making people break even players when they claim to be having a fair site.

play 500 sngs and if you lose money in the long run its the governments fault.

Or maybe you're not such a winning player and your second sample of 30 tournies at a +1 profit (0.3%Roi) is more accurate than your previous "long haul" sample of one tourny (+34 profit, 309% ROI)

PrayingMantis
08-20-2005, 08:21 AM
You are dead on with everything you say, except one thing: it's not the US government but the Sri Lankan government that is responsible for this.

08-20-2005, 09:02 AM
I played (and won) a SNG at PokerStars last night. After the first couple of rounds, everything seemed to go my way. I won 6 of 7 showdowns, seemed to get more than my share of pocket pairs, played 74o from the big blind, flopped a straight while my single opponent flopped two pair and bet significantly at every opportunity. (That's the good luck everyone really wants -- seems more lucrative than the river winners/losers.)

Two nights ago, I was down to 165 chips in a three table SNG (with two tables in play at the time) at PokerStars and finished ITM after building my stack to &gt;7000 at one point.

08-20-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my prediction is that no one has been able to make money in the sngs during august at ps. no one has sadi they have so far so well i dont think anyone has then.

[/ QUOTE ]I've made money in August at PokerStars in the $5 and $10 SNGs. Small sample and small winnings

DrPhysic
08-20-2005, 09:20 AM
lovit! (Huge cheshire cat grin)

Doc

DrPhysic
08-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Not another "Waaaaaaaa, I looked at the results of my ubertiny sample and the world must be fixed!" post.

It's not the US government, it's the Cicilian Mafia. NO, it's the Mexican Mafia. No, wait. It's POKERGOD, who hates just YOU!

Btw, call back in a year.

Doc

Freudian
08-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Did you know that Pokerstars is an anagram for "Trek Ass Pro".

Uppercut
08-20-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'd like to hear from people who are actually making money at PS sngs over the long haul.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Pokerstars stats:

$5.5 ITM=61% ROI=87%
$11 ITM=56% ROI=31%

But then again, I am part of the conspiracy. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Phill S
08-20-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ive played 30sngs at the 10 1 level and have won $1. im not a break even player. is any1 making money at the PS sngs or did they rig it so good players only break even. im a little worried that the us government has forced online poker sites to only let formely winning players break even. maybe im just being paranoid, but id like to hear from people who are actually making money at PS sngs over the long haul.

[/ QUOTE ]

If i told you i rolled a die twice, and both times it came up evens, would you assume the die is fixed by the company that made it?

If i told you that it came up 6 both times, would you assume it was a weighted die?

What if i told you that instead of rolling the dice, i was merely dropping it with the 6 on the top, is it fixed?

What if i rolled a fair straight and true die and i rolled it fairly, but only did so once and it came up a 3. Will all rolls thereafter be 3s?

Is it less likely that the next roll is a 3 because the last one was a 3?

Go read about basic statistics, with a concentration on sample size.

Phill
ps, for the record, break even long term puts you in the top 10% or less category - winning, and big winning players are a lot fewer and far between than most simply assume.

08-20-2005, 01:05 PM
FWIW yes i have made money at stars playing the 55 and 109 turbos but the games are better at party. If u are a breakeven player at stars u might be a winning player at party.

It's amazing the number of fairly intelligent people that are willing to believe in some type of conspiracy if they suffer a few bad beats. Good luck

Havok
08-20-2005, 01:17 PM
"FWIW yes i have made money at stars playing the 55 and 109 turbos but the games are better at party. If u are a breakeven player at stars u might be a winning player at party."

Do people really believe some sites are generally harder to beat than others? If so why would poker stars and part poker be so much different since they both get so much publicity. I don't believe that theory. Does anyone here find one site to be easier than another, or just think its the luck factor?

citanul
08-20-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"FWIW yes i have made money at stars playing the 55 and 109 turbos but the games are better at party. If u are a breakeven player at stars u might be a winning player at party."

Do people really believe some sites are generally harder to beat than others? If so why would poker stars and part poker be so much different since they both get so much publicity. I don't believe that theory. Does anyone here find one site to be easier than another, or just think its the luck factor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Havok,

The games are different. Like, structure wise, they are not the same game. The reason that some sites can have harder games than others is because your casual player doesn't give a damn, they just want to go and play some poker. They don't comparison shop.

citanul

08-20-2005, 02:35 PM
I think most serious players would agree that some sites have softer games than others. It is pretty interesting to me that this is the case. In part because of the enormous ad campaign that party runs along with being connected to 4 or 5 other sites they seem to attract the most, and the most novice, players.
A lot of players may acknowledge this to be true but still choose to play elsewhere many times because of better customer service or interface.

Oluwafemi
08-20-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not another "Waaaaaaaa, I looked at the results of my ubertiny sample and the world must be fixed!" post.

It's not the US government, it's the Cicilian Mafia. NO, it's the Mexican Mafia. No, wait. It's POKERGOD, who hates just YOU!

Btw, call back in a year.

Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you mean.... Sicilian Mafia.

Oluwafemi
08-20-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'd like to hear from people who are actually making money at PS sngs over the long haul.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Pokerstars stats:

$5.5 ITM=61% ROI=87%
$11 ITM=56% ROI=31%

But then again, I am part of the conspiracy. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i've been fighting water pollution like you on my river banks all month.

jedi
08-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Come up to the $50 tournaments and play there. PLayers don't suck out on you as often. Also, start playing everything. Stars will rig the SW for you once they see you're playing more hands (generates more rake, even in SnGs. It's a little secret). BTW, what's your Stars username?