PDA

View Full Version : $109s - Questionable Push?

Unarmed
08-19-2005, 09:56 PM
I dump ATo here. I dump ATs if the blinds weren't going up next hand. Its still borderline I think. Neither of the blinds are sherrifs.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t3265)
Hero (t935)
MP (t2650)
Button (t1320)
SB (t1830)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and pushes.

ChoicestHops
08-19-2005, 10:00 PM
UTG, no. If you were button I would push and I think ICM would agree with me.

08-19-2005, 10:03 PM
I think if you are going to play the A10s, then a push is in order. Just know that if you are called you are going to be beat virtually everytime. But because you have the advantage of being 1st in, and your stack is still formidable, I think that this is a decent move to pull, IMHO.

octaveshift
08-19-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dump ATo here. I dump ATs if the blinds weren't going up next hand. Its still borderline I think. Neither of the blinds are sherrifs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's bad at all. With 4 other players, chances are fairly low that you are dominated.

My thinking here, and please tell me if I am wrong, is this: With a single A, you are never worse than around a 2:1 dog unless you are up against AA. So if you get called, you are being laid the correct odds. If everyone folds, you are picking up the blinds, so... sweet.

Ergo, I think it's +EV.

Edit: Would you actually be getting 1:1 odds if someone called? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

J-Lo
08-19-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

With a single A, you are never worse than around a 2:1 dog unless you are up against AA. So if you get called, you are being laid the correct odds . If everyone folds, you are picking up the blinds, so... sweet.

Ergo, I think it's +EV.

Edit: Would you actually be getting 1:1 odds if someone called? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, u are gettin 1.15:1 if one of the non-blinds calls, and about 1:1 if one of the blinds calls. don't know what you've been smokin', but where can i get some?

ChuckNorris
08-19-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Would you actually be getting 1:1 odds if someone called?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. 1:1 + blinds, depending on the callers position. If you push from the SB for 800 and BB calls for 800, its 800:800 = 1:1.

And to OP: I always thought ATo/KQo should be good enough here by intuition. I think I'd dump A9 pretty easily though.

It's strange how one can develop this kind of "instinct" just by playing a couple of thousand SNG's (and reading curtains' posts). I have never calculated these kind of situations nor do I own SNGPT.

Oluwafemi
08-19-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is UTG with T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Questionable push?

no.

Irieguy
08-19-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My thinking here, and please tell me if I am wrong, is this: With a single A, you are never worse than around a 2:1 dog unless you are up against AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very wrong. In fact, it is precisely because you are so frequently significantly worse than a 2:1 dog with a weak ace that makes those hands such poor calling hands against a pusher.

But this hand isn't dealing with a weak ace, and it's not dealing with calling. There's no question about this push.

Irieguy

octaveshift
08-19-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My thinking here, and please tell me if I am wrong, is this: With a single A, you are never worse than around a 2:1 dog unless you are up against AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very wrong. In fact, it is precisely because you are so frequently significantly worse than a 2:1 dog with a weak ace that makes those hands such poor calling hands against a pusher.

But this hand isn't dealing with a weak ace, and it's not dealing with calling. There's no question about this push.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm. WTF was Mike Sexton prattling on about calling with any A when getting 2:1 pot odds, because the only hand you are really worried about is AA? I have it Tivo'd. I'll try to watch it tomorrow and report back. I though Sexton was pretty much always spot on.

Regardless, please forget I ever spoke in this thread. My brain isn't working.

Thank God I leave for vacation on Sunday. One week of total relaxation. (Except for the annual report I will be working on.)

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

octaveshift
08-19-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
don't know what you've been smokin', but where can i get some?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little something I like to call "mental burnout."

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

1C5
08-19-2005, 11:15 PM
I always push here also.