PDA

View Full Version : Starting hands, basic strategy, the fall of beating the 10+1, harring.

PokerAmateur4
08-19-2005, 07:44 PM
I've been playing somewhat near the "Beating the 10+1 Part 2". Citanul just informed me that this guide is archaic and that the author says it's filled with poor advice.

What is good and what is bad about this guide?

Can anyone reccomend a better basic strategy for the 10+1s?

How do you like the Harrington Basic Strategy chapter in Hoh1 and the strategy in both volumes in use for 10+1s?

Cheers,
-PA

Freudian
08-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Basically it misses tonnes of opportunities to gain chips but tries to keep the player out of possible trouble.

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone reccomend a better basic strategy for the 10+1s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this forum. Play a lot. Think a lot. You will not be able to squeeze even close to maximum winnings by following a printed A4 of advice.

derdo
08-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Aleomangus' guide has been an excellent starting point for me and I guess for many other beginners. But, I think going beyond it and improving your game requires some more work than reading a single post. And I am glad it is this way...

gildwulf
08-19-2005, 10:52 PM
It's too weak tight on the bubble. And too tight at levels 4-6

08-19-2005, 10:55 PM
didnt adanthar make a post about beating the 11s?

Freudian
08-19-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Add levels 1-3 as being too tight also. Safe, but way too tight.

cow_phunk
08-19-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i highly disagree w/ opening up any more than advised in 1-3. all that does is lead to trouble with a full table of $11 players. let em shoot it out and come up w/ a slightly shorter stack later. those chips will still be there for the taking.

08-19-2005, 11:08 PM
agreed that basic strategy is a neccesary thing to learn, but actual practice of said strategy doesn't always work because you have people who will not cooperate with your strategy. Play a lot, always try to make it to the money 1st, and review your game. Try out lots of moves and strategies, especially on a 10+1 level, as at these stakes you could play a lot of games for a mere 100 or 200 dollar investment. There is also the matter of learning your own style with which you are comfortable with...some people are just born loose and aggressive...
I know this sounds like every other book advice you read, but it is totally true. There is a feel for the game and recognition of situations that can only be learned by playing the game and being in certain situations...the more you encounter a situation, the more experience you have to draw upon when in the same situation again. This is especially important for online play where a decision must be made within 60 seconds or less. Think of it as practice, but if you play well (or sometimes not so well) then you receive money with which to practice again. Do this for a LOT of SNGs, constantly read, post and discuss and I am sure your skills will improve.
I have been playing competitive poker online now for almost 2 years, and I feel that I am just now starting to really come alive with my game (I sucked, trust me). Keep trying!

Freudian
08-19-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i highly disagree w/ opening up any more than advised in 1-3. all that does is lead to trouble with a full table of $11 players. let em shoot it out and come up w/ a slightly shorter stack later. those chips will still be there for the taking.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are uncomfortable with postflop play, sure.

If not, all you are doing is giving up a lot of opportunities to gain chips.

The biggest adjustments to my game since I somewhat got the hang of being a pushbot is in level 1-3.