PDA

View Full Version : Lack of More Advanced PLO Discussion

BluffTHIS!
08-19-2005, 06:10 PM
I received a PM from a poster lamenting the "deterioration" of this forum and inviting me to join in intermediate/advanced plo discussion on google groups. I wrote out a response only to discover that this user does not accepts PMs but only sends them. This is Stpd.as.Fk. However I decided to share my response with the rest of you.

I realize that many of you are probably frustrated with a lot of the plo threads that are just the same newb type of questions/situations over and over, and would like to see discussion of plo played at the highest levels. But now I am going to be honest with you. To my knowledge, there are only a couple regular posters who regularly play in 1K or above games, myself and Big Dave, and maybe occasionally, Acesover8s and Rolf. I only play plo and no limit and the pool of players at higher levels of plo is much smaller compared to that in nl. So I am just unwilling to make replies to even certain newb posts regarding what I consider advanced plays and ways of thinking because for one thing they won't be of use at lower levels, and also because I am unwilling to educate all the lurkers who do play high but never contribute.

I will tell you that from a very detailed reading of C&R's PL&NL Poker you can learn a lot of these things if you think deeply about small parts of it at a time. However there is a class of plays, each of which doesn't come up that often, but which as a whole can add significantly to your long term results. I learned these from hard experience and lots of thinking about hands I played and watched, and like I said, I am not willing to share when so many others won't either.

I realize this is especially frustrating because party, where the majority of plo action takes place, has basically burned out all the games between 400 and 2K and also greatly diminished the 100/200 action, making it extremely difficult to slowly build your roll and climb the ladder in only plo.

My advice to you regarding building a roll and working up if that is your goal, is to learn nl well and work up from that since there are lots of tables available on all sites at each level. Then when you have a roll, go play high plo, maybe only buying in real short until you feel comfortable, although a real short stack can never protect a hand and can't be the type of favorite allin that many better holdem hands can be.

I don't claim to be the best all-around plo player by any means, but I am good and win lots of money regularly at it, and it just doesn't pay for me to share certain things regarding higher play. I don't feel this way about nl because there are more correct playing approaches there and because lots of donkeys just won't take your advice anyway. Plus I feel that I still have a lot more to learn about nl than plo. Therefore, I would not care to post about plo in other venues.

However, I will give you a suggestion for each of you to help improve your play at any level. Every week, pick out the hands in your hand histories in which you played big pots, whether you won or lost. Also, log on and just watch the next level or two higher than you normally play and see if you can see some big pots played, then copy those hand histories. Then when you have a bunch of both those you played as well as observed, take the hand of each player that played til showdown, and ask yourself if that player could have played it better, either to win more or lose less money. Key points to factor in are pots odds, outs and the possibility of other players in the hand drawing with another player for a split. If you do this, especially in conjunction with rereading Ciaffone & Reuben's PL&NL Poker, then I guarantee you it will advance your play.

Also I would strongly encourage all of you who are new to these forums to use the goldmine that can be found in the archives. Although the plo forum itself is relatively newer compared to other forums, there are still tons of threads to be read on the archive server. Click on the link "Older Archives" on left, then at the top of that page you will see "Recent Archives", and then click on "here". There are also digests of early years when the plo forum did not exist but you can open a month under a subject and then use your browser's search function to search for "plo" or omaha. So spend some time in the archives as well as reading current and more recent threads here, and you will be able to learn even more.

beset7
08-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post this Bluff. I've been datamining just about every PLO online above 3/6 for quite some time and I can tell you review big pots and thinking of the hand from all perspectives is a wonderful exercise.

edit: don't ask me for my database I don't trade them.

PorscheNGuns
08-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I agree that the BR progression got seriously messed up in online PLO, thanks in part to 6max and 2k tables. Right now I can comfortably play the 100's but really have nothing to look forward to until I have about a 40k bankroll and can play in the 2000's, and I cant see this happening any time in the near future.

-Matt

joewatch
08-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Damn, I wish you would give me a clue about the "class of plays" thing. I will reread Ciaffone's NL/PL book, but I have no idea what you are talking about!

BluffTHIS!
08-20-2005, 01:08 AM
Well it's not in C&R. When I say class of plays, I mean how you sometimes play certain hands in big pots. Many different hands, but the way you play them in a big pot situation to extract the maximum or lose the minimum. And the reason I say in big pots, is that you shouldn't let your opponents see those moves in small pots and know you are capable of them so that it will be less likely for them to read you correctly when a big pot gets played and it means more. One instance would be the well-known naked ace play when a flush comes. If you have been seen before to do such things when it didn't cost them as much in dollar terms to look you up, then they won't be as likely to give you credit for it when you do make that move in a big pot.

Spellmen
08-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Welcome back to the world of NL Texas Hold'em /images/graemlins/frown.gif I haven't played much PLO lately as I've been playing Hold'em to build my bankroll and tring out O8 for awhile

PorscheNGuns
08-20-2005, 02:48 AM
Funny you put it that way, because my play so far has been geared towards mixing it up a lot in the small pots that dont mean anything, and showing each time, giving off the loose fishy image, and then pounding away with the nuts, which stand far better chances to get paid off to the max at that point. (We're talking 25/50/100 PLO here though)

-Matt

BluffTHIS!
08-20-2005, 02:50 AM
I agree and you do want to be seen mixing it and even occasionally losing with a bluff to increase your chances of getting paid off. What I mean is if you are habitually seen to do anything in a certain situation.

LA_Price
08-20-2005, 03:13 AM
BluffThis,

Excellent post. I was also contacted about posting on this newsgroup. I usually don't post that much because i'm traveling or playing and don't have access to a computer all the time so as with here my contributions would be limited.

I usually play 1/2-5/10(if the game ever goes). I have been playing for a bit in the new 6-max games and find them to be great. Every 2+2'er should be learning how to play in them or should be praying for the table your at to become short because it gives you countless more oppurtunites to exploit weak opponents.

I think the difference between the low limit games and higher limit games is capitalizing on the different mistakes each player will make. In low limit games people call too much but as you move up they start to do the opposite and fold too much. There are so many scare cards/boards that you can push around opponents that are too tight very easily through semi bluffs/naked ace type plays. So basically it becomes a people game versus just a straight up card game.

Later,
LA_Price

Big Dave D
08-20-2005, 06:39 AM
Hi Bluff

I agreee with most of what you say. What I would caution is that the play as you go up in stakes is often "different" and not "better". If you do not adapt your natural style to this, as I failed to do in the 10-20, then you will get hurt. For those of u who want to see Bluff and I kick this around in a frank way, its on my blog here (http://internetpokerpro.blogspot.com/2005/06/training-montage.html)

I don't necessarily agree about the sharing high level moves thing. If you look back through the archives there was some pretty good discussion around some advanced plays - here (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=949058&page=104&view=coll apsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1#949058) and here (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=962572&page=104&view=coll apsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1#962572) were just two examples that I was involved in and had a lot of value. The trouble is, this needs to involve several players who are happy to engage in this way, and that time has long since gone. FWIW, I've already said my reasons for this.

gl

Dave

autobet
08-20-2005, 01:37 PM
I created the PLO forum on Google primarily to attempt to get Bugstud and Aces back, as it seemed they were done with this board. They were two of the most valuable posters IMO. I almost exclusively play 10-20 PLO these days, and am hoping to continue to improve my game...

Acesover8s
08-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Autobet,

I'm still reading this forum. Although half the posts I read I never get a chance to respond to as I'm too busy cleaning the vomit off my shirt.

I checked out your forum, and while I commend your idea, it will have the same problems as any other forum on this subject would have. Either too few posters or too many.

In the past, the problem here was that not enough hands were posted, now the same damn 3 hands keep getting posted over and over and over again.

Where are the tough decisions? Where are the discussions of implied odds and reads? Has anyone else here ever even played this game live?

I think I became fed up with the ideas here when I posted a hand between Raymer and myself and received the comment "you should work on your game selection" heh.

acesover8s

Acesover8s
08-20-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well it's not in C&R. When I say class of plays, I mean how you sometimes play certain hands in big pots. Many different hands, but the way you play them in a big pot situation to extract the maximum or lose the minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a very fundamental poker error here.

It is the small pots where you should be worried about extracting the maximum and losing the minimum. When the pot is already large, your chief goal should be WINNING THE POT.

Big Dave D
08-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Well I know it says this in TOP but that is the only mathematical justification for it. In fact I remember some limit holdem posts way back saying this was junk, as theories go. It certainly doesnt have any foundation based in anything, as far as I can see. I'm not saying that I disagree, just that I'm not hugely fond of referring to this principle. I think its better to say I want to play more EFFECTIVELY in big pots, or make better decisions. That isnt tosay that I want to make bad decisions in small pots, but if someone wants to bluff out my weak AA in an unraised pot...fine. But once the pot gets big, then I want most of my decisions to be "right".

gl

dd

Big Dave D
08-20-2005, 09:36 PM
This is a double heh, cause if you had played Raymer on Stars in PLO, both pre and post bracelet, then you knew you had performed good game selection just by sitting down.

gl

dd

BluffTHIS!
08-21-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well it's not in C&R. When I say class of plays, I mean how you sometimes play certain hands in big pots. Many different hands, but the way you play them in a big pot situation to extract the maximum or lose the minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a very fundamental poker error here.

It is the small pots where you should be worried about extracting the maximum and losing the minimum. When the pot is already large, your chief goal should be WINNING THE POT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree aces, that you want to win the big pots, but how you play them often determines whether you do, especially in multiway pots. If you let your regular opponents get too accurate a read on your entire arsenal of plays in the small pots, you make it much easier for them to put you on a hand in the big pots when you are betting or raising without the mortal nuts to in fact try to take it down right there.

BluffTHIS!
08-21-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I created the PLO forum on Google primarily to attempt to get Bugstud and Aces back, as it seemed they were done with this board. They were two of the most valuable posters IMO. I almost exclusively play 10-20 PLO these days, and am hoping to continue to improve my game...

[/ QUOTE ]

OK autobet, since you have identified yourself as the sender of the PMs on this, then pray tell us why you would send PMs to other posters but have your account block PMs others try to send you?

autobet
08-21-2005, 01:05 AM
I made that selection 4-5 months ago, so I forgot to change it...

TheRempel
08-21-2005, 01:09 AM
I am still building my bankroll at the $100 games on stars, but one of the reasons I typically don't post hands on anything more than very basic strategy is that many of the people that post on this board are my opponents. I really need to create a new account on Stars.