PDA

View Full Version : Pocket AA

08-19-2005, 02:59 PM
I was wondering if i had made the right move, or if I could have gotten away from this hand late in a NL SNG $55 turbo on Stars...

Button+1 - ~2100
Button - ~4000
SB - ~4500
BB (ME) - ~2900

Blinds are 100/200 w/25 ante

I have literally stolen the last 3 hands by going all in and the table is tight.
The SB (chip leader) has been unaggressive but comes in with decent hands usually.

On my BB after 3 steals i get dealt pocket AA. Button+1 and button fold. SB completes the blind (we usually play for the blinds passively). I double the blinds as I don't think he has much, and he hasn't been gambling. He calls of course.
Flop comes 10c 5d 5c
he checks to me, I bet out 600 he raises to 1200.
At this point the pot is 2700 and I have to put in 600 which would leave me 1300.
I am fearing the worst, but I feel like I am going to convince myself out of a trap that I had set by putting him exactly on a 5 or pocket 1010 (he would have raised with 1010) so I go all in...he turns over K5 hearts, I lose.

Could anyone else tell me they honestly could get away from this hand???? Its driving me nuts (lost 4 tourneys in the last 2 days over hands very very similar to this one...each time i say, "does he really have that low ass card in his hand? And they do *sigh*). Remember that I am not playing for the money spot, I wanted 1st. Besides the short stack was entering only with good hands, and none of the chip leaders were going to gamble with him...i needed chips, and I JUST GOT POCKET AA on that flop! Am i just wrong here for going all in?? should i have called him down instead? That doesn't seem right because of our chips counts and the size of the blinds as well as the short table.
THe only thing I could think of to get away from this hand was the fact that the SB was pretty much unaggressive towards me, but now all of a sudden raised me. I guess it could be argued that he set me up for this fall by passively playing me from the blinds since the beginning of the tourney, but if our cards were turned over, he would've folded that K5 so fast...
Should I have raised more preflop? Should I have been scared of the pair on the board? Was my trap a bad play (sort of blinding I must admit, but looking super aggressive and then pulling AA on that board!?)? Does anyone think my bets beg for action? Even so, with just the positions we were in and the flop that came out, could anyone else have done something different? I would like to hear all points of view, whether or not they might be "right" please...PLEASE HELP!

Ixnert
08-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Raise bigger preflop. If he still calls with K5o and hits his miracle flop, so be it, you're not likely getting away from it at that point.

08-19-2005, 03:14 PM
If you fear getting drawn out on just go all in preflop. Otherwise u played the hand fine.

Jdogg
08-19-2005, 03:19 PM
A bigger PF raise would've obiviously have been key in not letting this happen, but I feel I would've fallen for the same trap.

Justin

silencee
08-19-2005, 03:35 PM
after push-stealing consistently, i like pushing with my big hands as well.

you get paid off plenty by frustrated kids with their q2 offsuits. (well i do, and i'm in the $33s.)

HonestIago15
08-19-2005, 03:41 PM
This is the PERFECT situation to be pushing with AA. You've been repeatedly stealing from everybody, and someone is going to get fed up soon and spite call you. That's part of what's great about the "all-in or fold" strategy near the end of a STT - noone can tell what you have in your hand.

Ixnert
08-19-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key.

Stealing doesn't work if your opponents know you don't do it with big hands. It may be giving low buy-in opponents too much credit to think they're paying attention, but they know when you've been pushing on their blinds every time. Conversely, they know that you showed them AA last time they called you down, and that's what's going to stick, because people remember big hands.

08-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Yep...I push here and show when they fold.

Hendricks433
08-19-2005, 03:48 PM
what about bb spite calling a push with 10,9o and sucking out. Happens too often when I push. But Id push the AA preflop.

yabastid
08-19-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

you get paid off plenty by frustrated kids with their q2 offsuits. (well i do, and i'm in the $33s.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking. If you pushed the last 3 hands push this,. You miniraised cause you wanted action and you got it- it sucks he hit that flop. Nothing you can do.

08-19-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the PERFECT situation to be pushing with AA. You've been repeatedly stealing from everybody, and someone is going to get fed up soon and spite call you. That's part of what's great about the "all-in or fold" strategy near the end of a STT - noone can tell what you have in your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in total agreement with this, and i normally would do this, however, this certain situation had me in the BB after 3 steals, and the SB just called...my thought process was that I should try and suck him out for some more money with a very powerful hand heads up...there was no opportunity to steal here! Are people suggesting that I still go all in with AA after a simple call from the SB here? Is this move simply to prevent draw outs, as well as to show the AA?
If I push, the SB will fold without a very good hand, which his call simply does not suggest. I figured he would not fold for double the blinds after completing the SB (I also did not think he had a pair, as he would have raised)and my bet on the flop will not get called anyway unless he hits, in which case it will *probably* be worse than my Aces (unless you hold K5)...does anyone think that trying to suck out some more money with the AA is a bad play here in this spot? Would *everyone* push their stack here???
I really appreciate all the comments, and thanks for sharing all of your ideas and thoughts. Hope to be posting a lot more...

psyduck
08-19-2005, 11:09 PM
No, SB will call with a good % of hands because you've been pushing so often. He's not "going to fold without a very good hand" because of the amount of pushing you've demonstrated so far.

This is a clear-cut push. SB might even have been trying to "trap" you with a hand like AQ.

Flop onwards is fine. You can't get away from AA here, sorry.

08-19-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, SB will call with a good % of hands because you've been pushing so often. He's not "going to fold without a very good hand" because of the amount of pushing you've demonstrated so far.

This is a clear-cut push. SB might even have been trying to "trap" you with a hand like AQ.

Flop onwards is fine. You can't get away from AA here, sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply...was reeling when I first posted the hand, and I think I needed someone to seriously let me know to push this hand...the AQ "trap" comment is interesting, but I still raised to allow him to reraise, which he didn't...the push move or at least a larger raise sounds very correct. Good to hear my flop play wasn't retarded either...Thanks all!!