View Full Version : Bubble small stack AKs in small blind

fannar
08-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Ultimatebet $10 + 1. Blinds 100/200.

UTG T1800
Villain T5800
Hero T1600
Button T5800

Fold to hero who is dealt Ad Kd. Hero goes all in, Villain calls with As 5d. Given Hero's and Villain's cards, the ICM gives $EV = 17.6 to pushing/getting called with the hand Villain had, $EV = 16.8 to a successful blind "steal", and $EV = 14.8 to folding. So seems like an OK turn of events to me (please tell me if you disagree).

My question is: Should I be trying to get more value for my big slick, or is it ok to be pushing? Many players at that level seem to take pushing in this position as weakness (so that it is quite likely to be called with the type of junk it was called with) in which case would you prefer to make a smaller raise and pushing the flop (Stop'n'go)? Or something completely different . . .

P.s. first post. Pls be gentle

jedinite
08-19-2005, 01:23 PM
push here every time at $10+1.

Like you say, you're likely to get called by a lot weaker hands including those you dominate (weak ace) who assume you're just on a steal. Works that much better if you've already stolen a few from the button or SB (which at this point, you certainly should have). There's no better way to get more value from your hand than pushing PF and getting called. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ixnert
08-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Pushing here is good. You want your pure steals and your legitimate hands to look the same, and just taking down the blinds here is a decent outcome anyway. No need to get fancy as the smallest stack.