PDA

View Full Version : Who likes Stephen A. Smith?

flatline
08-19-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't get it. This guy was bad enough as an analyst; now they give him his own show? His latest promo has him saying that Phil Jackson will make the lakers a better team but he will not guarantee them a championship. Way to go out on a limb there buddy. To me this guy just seems like an idiot. Can someone explain to me his appeal?

CollinEstes
08-19-2005, 12:01 PM
I don't mind it if he sticks to basketball but nobody wants to hear his opinion's on any other sport.

kerssens
08-19-2005, 12:02 PM
He just likes to hear himself talk. I hate the little dance he's doing at the end of the promo.

unlucky513
08-19-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He just likes to hear himself talk. I hate the little dance he's doing at the end of the promo.

[/ QUOTE ]

that one gets me everytime. heh

trevorwc
08-19-2005, 12:48 PM
I absolutely can't stand that guy. I liked his very first promo where he was talking about how the "Patriots are the ultimate TEAM". Wow, where does this guy come up with such unique material?

istewart
08-19-2005, 01:01 PM
His opinions are not very educated but I like listening to him. Amusing, IMO.

Boris
08-19-2005, 01:05 PM
the people in the creativity department (or whatever you call it) are flushing ESPN's brand equity down the toilet. The stephen a. smith show is just the latest proof.

trying2learn
08-19-2005, 01:15 PM
i'm not a stephen a fan - BUT - his interview with A.I. was very good.

Boris
08-19-2005, 01:20 PM
maybe he is a great interviewer but otherwise sucks. Howard Stern is like that. I think his interviews are great but the radion show in general is pretty lame.

irishpint
08-19-2005, 01:23 PM
he really blows

flopking
08-19-2005, 01:40 PM
http://www.thephatphree.com/features.asp?StoryID=1111&SectionID=1&LayoutType=1 &StoryMonth=8&StoryYear=2005

Top 50 People Who Need a Vicious Beating...

#25. Steven A. Smith

Does this guy ever NOT yell about the topic he is discussing? He’s like, “I tried to get a box of Tag-A-Longs from a girl scout the utha day….and she was ALL OUT! Clearly, this is not a case of her not havin’ any Tag-A-Longs….it was obviously a matta of her not wanting to sell her Tag-A-Longs to a BLACK MAN! Okay? I promise you ‘dat!”

JayLear
08-19-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe he is a great interviewer but otherwise sucks. Howard Stern is like that. I think his interviews are great but the radion show in general is pretty lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

HOW DARE YOU!

JayLear
08-19-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His opinions are not very educated but I like listening to him. Amusing, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite Frankly...that's all you need.

trying2learn
08-19-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HOW DARE YOU!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this could be a thread hi-jack, but anyone who thinks Stern's radio show is great has only been listening for a couple years tops. This is the same show he's been doing for AT LEAST 15 years, and it was better before the novelty wore off.

It's amazing when you first hear it...and then (to use a horrible peachy word) meh after that.

JayLear
08-19-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess this could be a thread hi-jack, but anyone who thinks Stern's radio show is great has only been listening for a couple years tops. This is the same show he's been doing for AT LEAST 15 years, and it was better before the novelty wore off.

It's amazing when you first hear it...and then (to use a horrible peachy word) meh after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hijack away...this thread is lame anyway.

I'm a Stern fan, and I've been listening for at least 10 years. The current situation with the FCC has him a bit sterilized compared with the way he used to do the show, but I still enjoy it. I'll be following to satellite.

flatline
08-19-2005, 02:21 PM
So when Stern goes to satellite, is it going to be no-holds barred? If it will be, I may have to get satellite, or at least get it off the net.

SossMan
08-19-2005, 02:23 PM
I think he's gonna have a great year. People forgot about him after his leg injury last year and Mushin Muhammad's stellar performance, but the Panthers tend to chuck the ball downfield a lot so you should expect Smith to have lofty numbers this year. He's falling way too far in most drafts, so you should be able to get him 50-75 picks into a draft easily.
Quite frankly, he will be a stud #2 WR this year.

shakingspear
08-19-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. What's the deal with that shimmy-shake?

JayLear
08-19-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So when Stern goes to satellite, is it going to be no-holds barred? If it will be, I may have to get satellite, or at least get it off the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no regulations on satellite. He has said that he's not going to swear just to swear, but if it has comedic value there will be no repercussions.

Phoenix1010
08-19-2005, 02:26 PM
He can be very annoying. In fact, he's usually very annoying. But I really like sportscasters who don't sugarcoat their opinions, no matter how harsh they may be. I remember really thinking highly of him during the finals when he completely railed on some of the Pistons players for how horribly they played; I knew that no one else covering the game would say what needed to be said. It's always refreshing when someone tells it like it is. Barkely is a million times better though.

Oh and in regards to the Iverson interview, I thought it was awesome of course, but I didn't really think it had much to do with Stephen A's interviewing skills. The interview rocked because Iverson basically went wherever he wanted with it, and he's such a compelling character that as long as he got to say what he wanted, it couldn't be bad. I didn't think Smith kept the interview very focused, it kind of skipped around a bit.

Sluss
08-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Stephen A. Smith is a jackass. But he likes it that way. For some reason (I blame Fox, but that's a whole other rant)the gods that give us sports talk, either on TV, radio or print have decided that everyone has to be angry. No one can ever say anything positive or ever give any quality analysis. This way everyone can hate them. I guess this makes good TV.

IMHO Stern was better before the divorce and it has nothing to do with losing Jackie. When he was a loser guy drooling over women, but couldn't have them because he was married, he was relatable. Now he is a loser guy drooling over women with a hot model girlfriend and he can really do any of these women. Not so relatable. Thus, not as funny.

youtalkfunny
08-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Big Pussy from The Sopranos has a weekly show on Sirius.

Radio with profanity is 10x funnier than without.

"Is this mike on?"

"What the f*** are you talking about? Of COURSE the mike is on!"

"I can't hear a f***ing thing. I'm f***ing sick of this bulls**t. Every f***ing week, something gets f***ed up! And YOU gotta be an a**hole about it!"

"I'm an a**hole?"

I recently had to make a two-day drive. Thank heavens one of those days was a Wednesday, so I could catch "The Wiseguys Show" in its entirety.

I usually work all night, and sleep all day--but when Howard gets to Sirius, I'm taking the hardware out of my car, and bringing in the house. And setting the alarm clock.

billyjex
08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha his dance is hilarious. i almost posted about it because it makes me want to gag everytime i see it.

JayLear
08-19-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When he was a loser guy drooling over women, but couldn't have them because he was married, he was relatable. Now he is a loser guy drooling over women with a hot model girlfriend and he can really do any of these women. Not so relatable. Thus, not as funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to find something funny, you have to be able to relate to it? That's sad.

MarkL444
08-19-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he really blows

[/ QUOTE ]

Sluss
08-19-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In order to find something funny, you have to be able to relate to it? That's sad.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say that.

I said it was funny when he was a horny married guy, I myself am a horny married guy. This is funny and relatable.

A guy talking about what he would like to do to a women when he can and then doesn't do it is just pathetic. Not funny.

JayLear
08-19-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say that.

I said it was funny when he was a horny married guy, I myself am a horny married guy. This is funny and relatable.

A guy talking about what he would like to do to a women when he can and then doesn't do it is just pathetic. Not funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a horny married guy, but I think he's funny. Huh...weird.

08-19-2005, 05:05 PM
He's worse than an idiot. He's an idiot who is so consumed with himself that he's oblivious to the fact that he's an idiot.

The best was when the geniuses at ESPN had him doing in-studio for the NFL playoffs, and he screamed that San Diego (I think it was SD) should have gone for a FG on 3rd down because if they missed it they could try again on 4th down. Dude ... you're an NBA guy. You have no business doing football commentary. Particularly if you don't know the basic rules.

Idiot.

Sluss
08-19-2005, 05:16 PM
I still find Stern funny some of the time. He just isn't as much of a must listen for me. Used to be I would listen to Stern for four or five hours a day. He is most of the reason why I am in radio right now.

Now if I catch an hour it's a miracle. I think Artie is really funny. Maybe it is just the FCC like he says. The show could be really good on satellite and maybe if he feels more invigorated he will be better.

Right now when I listen I just don't have that goofy smile on my face I used to.

JayLear
08-19-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I still find Stern funny some of the time. He just isn't as much of a must listen for me. Used to be I would listen to Stern for four or five hours a day. He is most of the reason why I am in radio right now.

Now if I catch an hour it's a miracle. I think Artie is really funny. Maybe it is just the FCC like he says. The show could be really good on satellite and maybe if he feels more invigorated he will be better.

Right now when I listen I just don't have that goofy smile on my face I used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds reasonable -- I agree that Artie is a huge improvement to the show.

wayabvpar
08-19-2005, 07:18 PM
I am stunned that the first post wasn't a picture of crickets. I [censored] hate SAS.

Voltron87
08-19-2005, 08:33 PM
the only redeeming parts of his show will be the interviews. and thats not saying much. if you sit AI down with my cat it would be an awesome interview.

masse75
08-20-2005, 09:28 AM
SAS is a continuation of the problem ESPN has created: the reporters are beginning to think their schtick is more important that the story itself. How and when did reporters ever get this celebrity status?

Can you imagine Dick Schaap saying, "Quite frankly, that's all you need." With a shimmy...

Don't get me started about Stu Scott.

Toro
08-20-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate the little dance he's doing at the end of the promo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of debunks the stereotype of all Black people having rhythm and being good dancers.

ClaytonN
08-20-2005, 04:51 PM
They should have taken the show Roy Firestone used to do (forgot the name) and had a show like that with Stephen A. Smith.

I refuse to watch his show on ESPN because it has a studio audience. Flat out retarded.

imported_anacardo
08-20-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's worse than an idiot. He's an idiot who is so consumed with himself that he's oblivious to the fact that he's an idiot.

The best was when the geniuses at ESPN had him doing in-studio for the NFL playoffs, and he screamed that San Diego (I think it was SD) should have gone for a FG on 3rd down because if they missed it they could try again on 4th down. Dude ... you're an NBA guy. You have no business doing football commentary. Particularly if you don't know the basic rules.

Idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a legitimate tactic, but only in the case of a block & recovery or some kind of problem with the snap or hold. Whether he's aware enough to know that or not, I'unno.

LargeCents
08-21-2005, 07:23 AM
He's the biggest racist in the media right now.

McGahee
08-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Sorry if somebody mentioned this, but nobody DOES like him. The ratings for his show are abysmal.

Kevmath
08-24-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if somebody mentioned this, but nobody DOES like him. The ratings for his show are abysmal.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the 8/24 Sports TV column at USA Today:

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever one might think of two new much-hyped ESPN2 shows —Stephen A. Smith's Quite Frankly talk show and ESPN Hollywood, a sort of Access Hollywood for sports — you'd never guess they're actually lowering ratings for their time slots, which used to show a hodgepodge of sports.

Frankly is averaging 0.22% of cable TV households, down 21%, and Hollywood is averaging 0.15%, down 35%. [ QUOTE ]

Josh W
08-24-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who likes Stephen A. Smith?

[/ QUOTE ]

His mother. Kind of.

TheRover
08-24-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

From the 8/24 Sports TV column at USA Today:

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever one might think of two new much-hyped ESPN2 shows —Stephen A. Smith's Quite Frankly talk show and ESPN Hollywood, a sort of Access Hollywood for sports — you'd never guess they're actually lowering ratings for their time slots, which used to show a hodgepodge of sports.

Frankly is averaging 0.22% of cable TV households, down 21%, and Hollywood is averaging 0.15%, down 35%.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for putting a smile on my face. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif