PDA

View Full Version : Weeds

BottlesOf
08-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I watched the series premier of this show last night on demand and found it to be fantastic. Weeds is a satirical look at contemporary upper-middle class suburbia and it features Kevin Nealon as a weed head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, Showtime finally figures out an original series that can hold its own against any series on HBO, and if you read my oot posts, you know I'm a huge fan of the HBO original series.

I'm not quite ready to put Weeds in a pantheon with Curb Your Enthusiasm, but next to that, this is the funniest show out there, IMO. Check it out.

CollinEstes
08-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Isn't it alot like Desperate Housewives?

And Dead Like Me was an excellent show.

mlh2e
08-19-2005, 10:04 AM
I enjoyed it also. I went in with low expectations, but it turned out to be very, very funny.

young nut
08-19-2005, 10:16 AM
I thought it was a pretty decent/funny show, I saw the making of it as well. The creator lady is extremely ugly, but thats besides the point.

I fear that it is trying to model desperate housewives a little much though, as in some of the characters seem to be carbon copies. But we will have to keep watching and see how original it really is.

SpicyF
08-19-2005, 10:22 AM
I find this show moderately funny. But I see no future for this show. There will be one season only. I am super fan of HBO original series, and this is not even close to that quality!

jackdaniels
08-19-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find this show moderately funny. But I see no future for this show. There will be one season only. I am super fan of HBO original series, and this is not even close to that quality!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of what is said above (except the one season only - not sure about that).

The show isn't bad as a concept but really lacks in the "reality" department (and it IS trying to be realistic). I kind of got the same feeling watching this that I got after I (mistakenly) watched an episode of "The OC"... Dialog and situations were not very believable.

That said, Kevin was GREAT - his lines were funny and well delivered. If they got rid of her kids (or at least gave them less to say) as well as the "rival" gay (WTF???) weed dealer while adding more of Kevin and the black people (they were funny as well). It would prolly be a better show. Mind you all I watched was the season premierre, so it is very possible that they will "smooth" out the rough areas in subsequent shows.

I give this show a solid 7 (nines and tens are reserved for Entourage, Lost, Sopranos caliber shows) with the potential to move to a solid 8 (but never match the 9's and 10's with the current writers).

BottlesOf
08-19-2005, 11:22 AM
I didn't find the dialogue too unrealistic at all. I know people like this.... Maybe it just appeals to me for that reason...

Indiana
08-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Weeds is a good show but it deals too much with the main character's family problems and doesn't really show enough about dealing weed. I wanna see her in the act of crime and see what the world of drug dealing is about. I'm not so interested in her personal issues and her missing the hubby.

Indy

jackdaniels
08-19-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wanna see her in the act of crime and see what the world of drug dealing is about.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is excatly what is missing form this show. There are plenty of shows out there depicting drug dealing (hard drugs) in ghettos and or very affluent areas. This was supposed to show that regular joe-schmoes both deal and use the ganja (soccer dads toking up in the parking lot is a good example, soccer moms doing the dealing is even better). But it does not depict these events in a realistic way. What happens on the show is not (mostly) how it "goes down". Maybe that is what people (who neither deal nor smoke the weed) perceive it to be like, but from my experience - it is quite a bit different.

Indiana
08-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Yah I agree. Kinda like how the sopranos doesn't show much crime, just the daily life...But there they do it well, here it can get boring.

Indy

kitaristi0
08-19-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"B****, I can eyeball an ounce from outerspace with my glasses cracked."

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely classic. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Soul Daddy
08-19-2005, 01:28 PM
JBB, are you saying it's better than Entourage? Because I thought you were like the biggest Entourage fan in the world.

dabluebery
08-19-2005, 02:50 PM
This thread disappointed me. While it was loading, I had already built up a ton of rage about the weeds and vines at my house that I spend my entire life pulling, burning, poisoning, etc. And someone else agreed with me......

Then it's about this show that I've never heard of. Sad.

BottlesOf
08-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Ah, I forgot about Entourage.

It's different. No, I'd say this along with Curb and Entourage are the three funniest shows on TV. I've also only seen one episode of Weeds, so it's really too early to place it just yet.

Weeds is definitely what I'd call a "smart" or "intelligent" comedy, whereas Entourage gives you immediate gratification.

This point can even be seen in the two show's openings. Entourage has just a cool rock sound you can just rock out to, whereas Weeds has a folksy kind of song that shows carbon copies of people all engaging in the same activity, making a statement about the homogenous nature of the suburbs.

In short I very much enjoy all 3. (I wouldn't say I'm the biggest Entourag fan out there by any means though)

Soul Daddy
08-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I was half-kidding. Thanks for the review. I'll try to find a torrent in the next week.

But I'm not kidding about this: I absolutely despise the theme to Entourage.

jackdaniels
08-19-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was half-kidding. Thanks for the review. I'll try to find a torrent in the next week.

But I'm not kidding about this: I absolutely despise the theme to Entourage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to ask you for your AIM or MSN account and transfer the episode to ya (save you the hassle of dl'ing it) - but after what you said about Entourage I have decided you weren't worthy.

<font color="white"> Kidding of course. PM me with your AIM or MSN and I will be happy to transfer it over if it'll save you some time/hassle. </font>

Soul Daddy
08-19-2005, 03:21 PM
haha... Just the theme song. I love the show.
done and done. Thanks.

Slow Play Ray
08-19-2005, 03:25 PM
i'll have to have tivo grab this for me, never seen it.

tivo is supposed to know me and my viewing habits by now. how can it not know i would like a show called weeds? stupid technology. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

SpicyF
08-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Only thing Weeds has got going for it, is that it might be the next Seinfeld over it. Weeds really has no content, a show about nothing imo. But still worthy of watching of course.

Soul Daddy
08-20-2005, 12:50 AM
I enjoyed that very much. Thanks again to jackdaniels for the file.

"I just sold him shake."

JaBlue
08-20-2005, 01:06 AM
awesome avatar

Kyo Souma II
08-20-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it alot like Desperate Housewives?

And Dead Like Me was an excellent show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to grade school w/ Ellen Muth for a year.

-kyo

astroglide
08-22-2005, 12:01 PM
i tried watching an episode. woman confronted another woman with whom her husband was cheating on a tennis court. they had some pretty bad dialogue as a setup, then went to a bar. then the girl says it was strictly sex, and then says something like, "he went down on me for days!" with an excited expression. i deleted the show immediately and i have no plans of watching the show again. that was honestly some of the worst crap i've ever seen. putting a car and a wedding ring up as collateral for low hundreds worth of weed, etc. everything about it was just ridiculously unrealistic, which is fine for me in some contexts but not in this show.

BottlesOf
08-22-2005, 01:45 PM
This epsiode was not nearly as good as the first episode. Some of the problems you had with it I had also. After such a strong premier, I'm hoping it will pick up.

thatpfunk
08-22-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i tried watching an episode. woman confronted another woman with whom her husband was cheating on a tennis court. they had some pretty bad dialogue as a setup, then went to a bar. then the girl says it was strictly sex, and then says something like, "he went down on me for days!" with an excited expression. i deleted the show immediately and i have no plans of watching the show again. that was honestly some of the worst crap i've ever seen. putting a car and a wedding ring up as collateral for low hundreds worth of weed, etc. everything about it was just ridiculously unrealistic, which is fine for me in some contexts but not in this show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god for astro, I thought I was taking crazy pills. The first show was moderately amusing while reeking of being completely unrealistic. The dialogue was bad. The black charaters? Realisitic? If by realistic you meant shameless stereotypes, then you're 100% right.

astroglide
08-22-2005, 06:02 PM
i was watching the show with my gf and she about sprang up from the couch and said "jesus [censored] christ..." with her hands in the air as i simultaneously reached for the remote. she was already having difficulty watching it by that point, and i was in the, "ok i don't like it either but let's not give up yet" camp but it definitely sealed the deal. straight to zero with that one line.

B Dids
08-24-2005, 04:10 PM
I just watched all three epps on on demand.

A- I have a crush on the lead acctress forever and this is only making it stronger.

B- any subplot involving the other family is horrible, especially the scene that astro mentioned.

C- It's OK, but it's not up to par with HBO's better offerings.

IndieMatty
08-31-2005, 11:08 AM
bump, I watched all of these the other day. I liked it a lot.