PDA

View Full Version : Flopped sets / monsters HU, bet the flop?

odawg09090
08-19-2005, 07:22 AM
I'm wondering if I could have/ can extract more value out of these monsters that I'm flopping. These heads up monsters seem to meet the criteria for slowplaying with the small pot. While a flop check after a raise preflop might be suspicious, it might also induce a bluff sometimes or let them turn a 2nd place hand other times. So bet the flop? The first hand definitely looked suspicious, the second hand happens sometimes on a blind steal too and looks a little less suspicious. Assume it's readless.

Hand 1
PartyPoker - $5/$10 Texas - 6 players (Converter: PGC (http://client.pokergrader.com))

Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

PreFlop
<font color="red">Hero RAISES</font>, <font color="blue">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="green">CO Calls</font>, <font color="blue">Button folds</font>
<font color="blue">SB folds</font>, <font color="blue">BB folds</font>

(2 players) FLOP: J/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ( Pot Size: 2.7 BB )
<font color="green">Hero checks</font>, <font color="green">CO checks</font>

(2 players) TURN: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif ( Pot Size: 2.7 BB )
<font color="red">Hero BETS</font>, <font color="blue">CO folds</font>

Final Pot:3.7 BB

Hand 2-- On a button steal-- 3 rags flop. I jacked the hand from cdxx's post earlier.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.20 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.20 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 12.20 BB

Would you check for a rainbow flop? How about a flush draw (and only a flush draw) on the flop? How about a straight/flush draw like 4d 5d Jc.

I'm assuming we bet a very drawy board, right?

odawg09090
08-19-2005, 07:37 AM
One more hand. I don't really have a read on the BB. Seems to be a solid tag. Do I call and check raise the turn. I figured that check raising the flop would make the most if he had a King (or maybe even a PP that he'd call down with). But as you can see... it made the least.

PartyPoker - $5/$10 Texas - 4 players (Converter: PGC (http://client.pokergrader.com))

BB is N/A

Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif

PreFlop
<font color="blue">UTG folds</font>, <font color="blue">Button folds</font>
<font color="red">Hero RAISES</font>, <font color="red">BB RAISES</font>
<font color="green">Hero Calls</font>

(2 players) FLOP: 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif ( Pot Size: 3 BB )
<font color="green">Hero checks</font>, <font color="red">BB BETS</font>
<font color="red">Hero RAISES</font>, <font color="blue">BB folds</font>

Final Pot:4.5 BB

Petteri
08-19-2005, 08:10 AM
If you are aggressive player who bets flop most of the time after pre-flop raise you should not generally slowplay these hands against decent opponents. Check from aggressive player is very suspicious.

I think standard flop bet is usually better option. When you generally bet good hands your semi-bluffs and continuation bets work better as well.

oreogod
08-19-2005, 08:27 AM
So many ppl love this line when they flop a monster its crazy.

Its so unnatural. It disturbs the flow of a hand ot the point, even the tards (well half the tards) notice it. I dont mind when they do it to me, sweet...get to see the turn for free. Most of the time you are just costing yourself bets and your check will actually put ppl on the defensive...all but the most retarded that is.

Noodles
08-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Remember all the times you bet your JK on a AAx flop and someone calls down with rubbish?

Just bet the flop,

Haupt_234
08-19-2005, 09:40 AM
I bet all of these flops without thinking twice. Checking is simply counterintiutive.

The better players will notice it and check through and the very bad players will continue their passive ways and check through. But by betting, you keep the better players on their toes and charge the passive ones for their bogus draw.

Haupt_234