PDA

View Full Version : Hands

Homer
04-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Hand 1

I'm dealt cowboys in the SB. Two limpers to me, I raise, BB and limpers call. Four to the flop.

Flop - 5d 2h 7s

I bet, BB calls.

Turn - Ah

I bet, BB raises, I fold.

Hand 2

I'm dealt a black 9 and a red 9 UTG. I limp, SB calls, BB raises. SB and I call. Three to the flop.

Flop - Td 7d 7h

BB bets, I raise, BB calls.

Turn - 5d

BB checks, I bet, BB calls.

River - 2d

Check, check.

Hand 3

Im dealt AKo UTG. I raise, BB calls. Two to the flop.

Flop - 9h Th 9s

BB checks, I bet, BB calls.

Turn - 7s

BB bets, I fold.

Hand 4

I'm dealt two black Aces in the CO. Two limpers to me, I fold...err raise, limpers call. Three to the flop.

Flop - 8c Kd Ks

Checked to me, I bet, both call.

Turn - 7s

L1 bets, L2 folds, I call.

River - Kc

L1 bets, I think about it and call.

Hand 5

I'm dealt Q3h in the SB. Button limps, I call, SB checks. Three to the flop.

Flop - 2d Ah 5c

I think about stealing but realize that I've never seen anyone fold to a flop bet and check. It gets checked through.

Turn - Kh

I bet, both call with powerhouse hands.

River - 5h

I bet, BB calls.

Hand 6 (Have fun with this one)

I'm dealt Q2h in the BB (hand right before 5). UTG and MP limps, SB calls, I check. Four to the flop.

Flop - 5d Ts Qd

I bet, UTG raises, MP and SB coldcall, I call.

Turn - 2d

Woohoo, I mean doh! Checked to MP, who bets, SB calls, I call, UTG folds.

River - 7s

Checked around.

Hand 7

I'm dealt KK (again) in the CO. One limper to me, I raise, BB and limper call. Three to the flop.

Flop - Jc Jh 4d

Checked to me, I bet, BB calls.

Turn - 2c

Check, check.

River - 5d

BB checks, I bet, BB folds.

Hand 8

I open-raise from UTG+2 with AJo. Loose-passive BB calls. Heads-up on the flop.

Flop - 4c 7h Qh

Check, bet, call.

Turn - 6c

Check, bet, call.

River - 9s

Check, check.

Hand 9

For some reason, I limp from three off the button with KJo . The cutoff raises, BB and I call. Three to the flop.

Flop - 9s 5c Js

I bet, both call.

Turn - 3c

I bet, both call.

River - 5h

I bet, both fold.

-- Homer

J.R.
04-01-2003, 08:49 PM
hand #1- No semi-bluff possible?

hand #2- Bet the river unless the BB is passive with overpairs when tested.

hand #3- BB forgot to give you a free card. OK fold.

hand #4- You made the decision to call the river by calling the turn

hand #5- I am suspicious about button open-limps unless the player is an uber-fishie. I usually fold here in the 1/2 blind structure.

hand #6 I either try to check-raise or bet and fold to a flop raise, but you are getting 11-1 so you should probably call. You have to call it down on the turn for one bet and fold to a raise. I check the river too.

hand #7 Don't check the turn unless BB is very aggressive and will bluff the river when you the check the turn and "announce" you just have overcards and/or is capable of bluff check-raising. If BB is a fish than just bet and don't try to assign him a reasonable hand. BB could have a medium pocket pair and be going to the river unless a big overcard falls.

hand #8 I check the river too, but maybe I play bad.

hand #9 Well played post-flop.

Homer
04-01-2003, 09:01 PM
"hand #1- No semi-bluff possible?"

I don't think it was a semi-bluff. I raised preflop after many limpers from the SB. He should know there is a great chance that the Ace on the turn helped, making a semi-bluff less likely. Would you fold here or call it down, generally speaking?

"hand #2- Bet the river unless the BB is passive with overpairs when tested."

I should have noted that my red card was a heart, not a diamond.

I assume that my reason for betting would be to make BB fold an overpair that doesn't contain a diamond? If so, this won't work with most Party players. They will call with their overpair. I figured this was a situation where better hands will call and worse hands (basically overcards without a diamond) will fold.

"hand #4- You made the decision to call the river by calling the turn"

Of course. What I was contemplating on the river was whether or not to raise. The only thing that beats me is quad Kings. I thought his bet on the turn was a semi-bluff, and also the K on the river makes it less likely that he has one in his hand, but even with these thoughts I still wussed out and inexplicably only called.

"hand #7 Don't check the turn unless BB is very aggressive and will bluff the river when you the check the turn and "announce" you just have overcards and/or is capable of bluff check-raising. If BB is a fish than just bet and don't try to assign him a reasonable hand. BB could have a medium pocket pair and be going to the river unless a big overcard falls."

BB was a reasonable player, but was fairly aggressive and tricky. I figured he was calling with either a pocket pair, overcards, or a J. If he had a pocket pair or overcards, he might fold to my turn bet, and if he had a J, he would checkraise me. I figured that by checking I would get an extra bet (possibly) out of a pocket pair and overcards, and lose less to trip Jacks. I wouldn't always use this play, but I think this was a good time for it.

-- Homer

BB King's
04-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Hand 9: For some reason, I limp from three off the button with KJo. What reason was that ? This is clearly a raise-or-fold-situation !?! Post-flop is straight-forward.

In the other hands there are a few debateble plays but I don't see any big mistakes.

cosmo kramer
04-01-2003, 11:22 PM

Homer
04-01-2003, 11:55 PM

cosmo kramer
04-02-2003, 12:02 AM
The game seems tight to me. Most hands are 2 or 3 handed. I'm use to looser games where it's more than me fighting it out with the blinds.

J.R.
04-02-2003, 12:16 AM
Hand #1- I would fold then. Just pointing out that there may be opponents who I would so readily fold against, but I make this fold against most opponents.

Hand #2- I didn't realize you had the flush, and saw the decision on the river being dependent on whether you were betting into a passively played overpair that beat you, or whether your opponent had overcards and would be nuts enough to call you down. I didn't think a better hand would fold after taking the heat the whole way in the absence of your flush.

Being that you made the flush, I can't see the BB trying to check-raise if he was drawing with a big diamond, but an passively played overpair that was scared of a 7 on the flop will call, and who knows, maybe some nut will call with overcards (I see this at Party more than I expected at 2-4).

#4 My bad, I guess I thought about either raising the turn or just calling it down being your two options, but calling and raising the river may be better because 1) you can safely fold to a three-bet and 2) you gain an extra bet (or two if real lucky) on the river. That being said, do sane opponents bluff twice into pre-flop raisers on this board when the PFR has shown nothing but strength? That last idea is what had me possibly leaning towards just calling it down under the way-ahead-way-behind theory. I like calling the turn and raising the river versus and aggressive opponent and calling versus a more straightforward one.

#7 Well played, straight out of the inducing bluffs chapter in HPFAP (page like 86 or so I believe).

JTG51
04-02-2003, 04:16 AM
Hand 4: I'd interested in your reasoning for not raising the river. I'm sure you have a good reason, I can't think of one though. Were you really scared of quads?

Hand 7: The only way I'd check the turn is if I'm against a tricky opponent who could check raise me without a J. Against a straight forward player I'd bet. In other words, the more confident I am that I could correctly fold to a check raise, the more likely I would be to bet.

JTG51
04-02-2003, 04:20 AM
I guess I should read the whole thread and stop asking questions that you've already answered. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

JTG51
04-02-2003, 04:25 AM
...but calling and raising the river may be better because 1) you can safely fold to a three-bet...

I couldn't disagree more. Folding to a river 3-bet when the only hand that beats you is quads is anything but a safe play.

...and 2) you gain an extra bet (or two if real lucky) on the river.

How can you collect an extra two bets on the river if you are going to fold to a 3-bet? I guess you were just kidding about that safely folding thing. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

PokerPrince
04-02-2003, 04:27 AM
1.I'de probably call him down if he's in any way tricky. If straight forward a fold is good.

2.Judging by the rest of your posted hands this table doesn't seem over loose. I would raise the 9's in EP on the table over limping. A case can be made for limp reraising once the BB pumps it up with just the three of you in. Many players will raise from the blinds if there is only one limper with such hands as AJ,KQ,AT,77,etc. You also have the added bonus of best position.

3.Tight table man, find a better one. Played fine.

4.Raise the turn. You can fold to a 3-bet. It's possible a draw was picked up and a semi-bluff attempted. If you just call the turn than raise that nice river for sure. It's unlikely he has quads.

5.Bet the flop, fold to a raise. It's worth taking a stab at.

6.MP & SB's coldcalls on the flop sure were freaky. Considering the flush card on the turn and these coldcalls I think you played fine.

7.Please bet the turn next time. Was this one of those "way ahead or way behind" bluff inductions?

8.Played fine.

9.Open raise with this.

PokerPrince

PokerPrince
04-02-2003, 04:30 AM
I agree. Althought the table can be exploited through sheer aggression you didn't seem to be much exploiting. In these games raise with 9's UTG and never open call with something(KJ in LP). Find a looser game that you're more accustomed to.

PokerPrince

Homer
04-02-2003, 11:27 AM
2 - I thought about three-betting the BB, but just called instead because it would feel weird to limp-reraise with 99. Basically, I didn't adjust to the situation that developed. My thinking was too rigid.

4 - I agree with both comments.

5 - I really did think about this, but I was almost certain that betting had no chance to take down the pot. It was a strange game...fairly tight preflop, but very loose postflop.

7 - Yes, that's what I was doing. I think I use this move too much, but I felt this was one instance in which it was suitable. Do you have any kind of guidelines for when to use this move and when to bet?

9 - Yeah, I suck.

-- Homer

J.R.
04-02-2003, 01:16 PM
I have trouble seeing someone bluff three-bet here (but I would probably make a crying call. Maybe this wouldn't be a "safe" fold but I can't see anyone bluffing/semi-bluffing the turn, bluffing the river and bluff re-rasing the pre-flop raiser on the river on this board). Homer is the PFR who has shown strength, especially given a river raise, trying to move him here is kamakizee.

The extra bet was in relation to the turn decision, in that if he raises, his opponent may fold, and by just calling the turn he may entice his opponent to bet the river (one extra bet) and then possibly, if lucky, get his opponent to call a river raise (two extra bets).

mrbaseball
04-02-2003, 01:51 PM
You don't play online do you? Most games are just like this with only 2 to 4 seeing the flop. But even more importantly 2 to 4 seeing the river. These games generally have low %'s of people seeing the flop but its in for a penny in for a pound and they will pay you off all the way all day. I prefer playing against 2 guys I know I have beat that will call me down and pay me off rather than 6 preflop callers who will either suck me out or give no action post flop.