PDA

View Full Version : Tournament play vs Cash games (why I suck)

dizzle
08-19-2005, 04:14 AM
Hey guys,

I need some advice here, I am an excellent sit'n'go player, whether single table or multi-table, I am extremely +EV, even up to high stakes sit'n'gos of $100, $200 etc.

However for the life of me, I absolutely SUCK at cash games, I can't even beat a $10 NL buy'in cash game.

Usually I go well until I make one boneheaded play that costs my entire stack, and it happens nearly every time I play. My mentally seems to be totally different.

Is it that you need to be less aggresive in a CASH game than in a tournmanent? or do you need to get better reads on players in a cash game? Whatever it is I need to adjust.

Does anyone else have this problem? or maybe vice versa, good at cash games but suck at tournaments, probably not.

Just looking for how to improve my cash game skill.

dizzle

goofball
08-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Well, how do you avoid those types of mistakes in tournaments?

jb9
08-19-2005, 08:41 AM
I think the 3 biggest (or at least 3 of the biggest) adjustments when going from NL HE tournaments to NL HE cash games are:

1. It is neither very necessary nor very valuable to steal the blinds in NL cash games.

2. You should be much more patient in cash games because the blinds will not increase.

3. When you lose your stack in cash games, you can rebuy (and you have to be willing to lose your stack and rebuy).

Cash games are less about big preflop raises and more about trapping people who have top pair or two pair when you have flopped a set or straight.

Just my opinions... Hopefully someone will correct them if they are wrong.

FWIW, I usually play limit cash games because I like stealing blinds, I'm too impatient for NL, and I hate losing my stack...

08-19-2005, 09:25 AM
cash games are more about post flop play. and patience is key in cash games.