PDA

View Full Version : Pair of Aces and I'm Not Happy

Moozh
08-19-2005, 02:14 AM
I had two of these hands play out just now. Almost exact in betting texture and results. I didn't like the way I played either of them. Here is the 2nd.

I feel I define my hand very clearly on the flop. When he continues to bet into me, I have no confidence at all that I'm ahead even a remote amount of time. Yet at the same time, folding seems impossibly weak. Also, if I am ahead I'm not getting any value out of my pair of aces. Is there a better way to go other than to call down?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.16 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB

New001
08-19-2005, 02:19 AM
This is fishy two-pair more often than not. I like how you played it. If I've seen him do something like this before, and know that I'm most likely ahead, I wouldn't mind a river raise.

Moozh
08-19-2005, 05:42 PM
I know the calldown looks standard on the surface, but the more I thought about it, the more I feel I should be folding either on the turn or the river.

Look at this from our opponent's perspective. I raised from UTG before the flop. The flop comes ace-high and I raise. Now given that most 3/6 players out there aren't all that great at poker, you have to give the average player at least some credit for basic hand-reading. When I raise before the flop and then raise an ace-high flop, they can be pretty damn sure I have the ace or some other good hand. When they continue to bet into me on the big streets, we know they're not bluffing. There's just no reason to bluff at a pre-flop raiser who has shown he isn't scared of an ace. He's either sure he has me beat anyway, or he's worried about giving me a free card (which signifies that he already has a made hand).

I know there's a chance he has a worse ace and is worried about the free card, but what are the odds? I'm getting 2.5:1 to call down from the turn. He's got to be making a play at me or I have to be ahead nearly 30% of the time for this calldown to show a profit.

witeknite
08-19-2005, 05:49 PM
How often to you see people raise this flop with JJ-KK?

WiteKnite

Moozh
08-19-2005, 06:48 PM
But if he thought I might have KK-JJ, wouldn't you expect him to call down?