PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious email from ebay

Fabian
08-19-2005, 01:44 AM
I just got this email from eBay:

"Dear eBay Member

We were unable to process your most recent payment. Did you recently change your bank, phone number or credit card?.
To ensure that your service is not interrupted, please update your billing information today by clicking here.

Or contact eBay Member Services Team. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you have recently updated your billing information, please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Regards,
eBay Member Services Team"

The only time I've used eBay is maybe 4 years ago, when I bought a few things. I have never sold anything and I haven't recieved an email from them in the past 4 years. What does this mean?

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-19-2005, 01:46 AM
It's not actually from eBay.

jokerthief
This is some scammer phishing for your identity.

fluxrad
><>

Fabian
Awesome. Thanks.

STLantny
08-19-2005, 01:47 AM
It means that the link, really isnt to ebay, and someone in nigeria is trying to get your information. I would email/login into ebay, not the link provided to you....actually go to the site ebay.com, and figure things out from there.

touchfaith
08-19-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
please update your billing information today by clicking here

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on...you really need to ask if this is a scam?

If so, consider deleting your email account.

whiskeytown
08-19-2005, 01:59 AM
I get 20 of these a week - first time anyone's actually ever asked if it was real or not -

seeing as how I never use Ebay, I knew it was bogus - LOL - the paypal account I did use a couple times though, and they try to hit me with that a few times a week also -

RB

craig r
08-19-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I get 20 of these a week - first time anyone's actually ever asked if it was real or not -

seeing as how I never use Ebay, I knew it was bogus - LOL - the paypal account I did use a couple times though, and they try to hit me with that a few times a week also -

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

EliteNinja
08-19-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It means that the link, really isnt to ebay, and someone in nigeria is trying to get your information. I would email/login into ebay, not the link provided to you....actually go to the site ebay.com, and figure things out from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, please do this. Just log onto the real ebay and see check if everything is in order.

100% of the time, this is a scam from Nigeria. ESPECIALLY IF THEY PROVIDE A LINK TO A PAGE TO ENTER YOUR PERSONAL INFO!!!

BiffMan
08-19-2005, 10:50 AM
And you can also hover the mouse over the link to see what address it's going to try to direct you to. 99% of the time it's going to be something starting with a dotted address... Danger Will Robinson, Danger!!

Slow Play Ray
08-19-2005, 10:51 AM
w/o even reading your post, it's a scam. report it to eBay and delete it. and don't ever fall for anything like it.

asofel
08-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Don't listen to anyone else, you're fine. And while you're at it, let me introduce myself. My name is Ben Ahore and I work for the Nigerian National Petroleum Company.

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company has recently concluded a large number of contracts for oil exploration in the sub-Sahara region. The contracts have immediately produced moneys equalling US$40,000,000. The Nigerian National Petroleum Company is desirous of oil exploration in other parts of the world, however, because of certain regulations of the Nigerian Government, it is unable to move these funds to another region.

You assistance is requested as a non-Nigerian citizen to assist the Nigerian National Petroleum Company, and also the Central Bank of Nigeria, in moving these funds out of Nigeria. If the funds can be transferred to your name, in your United States account, then you can forward the funds as directed by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company. In exchange for your accomodating services, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company would agree to allow you to retain 10%, or US$4 million of this amount.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience!

bwana devil
08-19-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

contact ManyBeers and the two of you march down to the bank and demand to know why they are attempting to commit bank fraud.

FouTight
08-19-2005, 12:47 PM
you know, I always thought to myself, "who in the word falls for this [censored]"...

Then in the last couple of weeks, I realize that there ARE people that are this dense, it's amazing. I hope this is a joke.

Russ McGinley
08-19-2005, 12:54 PM
http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert2005018313812.gif

08-19-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got this email from eBay:

"Dear eBay Member

We were unable to process your most recent payment. Did you recently change your bank, phone number or credit card?.
To ensure that your service is not interrupted, please update your billing information today by clicking here.

Or contact eBay Member Services Team. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you have recently updated your billing information, please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Regards,
eBay Member Services Team"

The only time I've used eBay is maybe 4 years ago, when I bought a few things. I have never sold anything and I haven't recieved an email from them in the past 4 years. What does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I advise you to contact them immediately with your updated billing information.

MrTrik
08-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Great Dilbert!

2+2 wannabe
08-19-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Great Dilbert!

[/ QUOTE ]

dilbert is still one of my favourites