PDA

View Full Version : 33 in SB--- Blind Steal? (plus bonus story)

all_aces
04-01-2003, 04:30 PM
5/10 online shorthanded, folded to me in SB with 33. I know nothing about the BB, and I raise. He calls, I miss the flop completely and he bets, I fold. He then lays into me about 'don't ever try to steal my blinds', 'I am your worst nightmare', 'you will regret it', etcetera... I tell him what I had, and that I thought it was a legit raise in that position, and he says 'it's a steal if I say it's a steal'. So now I think this guy's a dick.

Anyways, my question for you is: do you think it was a blind steal or should I have limped or should I have folded and given it to him?

BONUS STORY!

Same guy, about ten hands later. I'm in SB again with him in BB, and I have 33 again. Please don't comment on my play here... this story is for entertainment purposes only. One limper to me, I limp, and dick checks the option.

Flop comes K 9 Q rainbow, suits don't matter. I check, BB (dick) bets out, limper folds, I call hoping to spike a 3 on the turn.

Turn is a J [K 9 Q]. I check, dick bets, and I... raise. I was either pissed cause I think he's a dick, or I was trying to represent the str8 and steal it, or both. He calls, unfortunately.

River is a 3 [J K 9 Q]. LOL. I bet, he calls and I take it down with my trip 3s. He shows JQ for 2 pair, and the entire table absolutely loses it. I've never seen so many LOLs, LMAOs, OMGs, etc... I say 'Damn those 3s again, goes around comes around I guess....' and I am killing myself laughing. He is obviously upset, goes on tilt, loses some money, and leaves.

But he was a dick, so I don't feel too bad.

Homer
04-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Okay...in the first hand I would either raise or call from the SB and bet into almost any flop. I definitely wouldn't raise preflop, then check-fold.

He obviously put you on tilt, which was what he wanted to do with those comments. Don't go on tilt, don't let him win. Just sit back, be patient, and quietly take his money.

-- Homer

Buckshot
04-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Nice story. I like the play on the turn.

I would raise pocket Three's heads up 99.9% of the time.

~stephen

all_aces
04-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Sry my bad... I did bet the flop on the first hand then folded to his raise. I'd never raise preflop and then limp on the flop regardless of what it is.

As for the second hand... I thought I said no comments on my play!!! Lol just kidding. Point taken tho... I don't think I was on tilt, but if I was I may not have known it. I was up a lot at the table, I know that's no excuse for poor play but it does afford me the opportunity to do something wacky every two hundred hands or so. Thanks for the response.

elysium
04-01-2003, 05:01 PM
hi all
this opponent sounds pretty much on the loose side. you can steal out of the small with 33 although you would prefer something like A 10 or KQ. it's close though.

you don't have to hit your trips to win here, which is why you prefer the tight type of player who may fold for a bet on the turn. sometimes they will fire again on the turn, unimproved. note this because you still likely are ahead.

you want a tight passive, however, if you plan on folding to a bet on the turn unimproved. this is where you also would stay out unless you have some reasonable expetation of getting a fold pre-flop. the player you chose combined with your bringing up the topic of a set actually puts you a little behind. you don't fold here if you don't hit. you must be prepared to see the river here.

eMarkM
04-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Totally a legit raise. You have a made hand, afterall. Ok, not much of a hand, but you're a favorite (slight) against overcards. You don't need to make a set to win here and often, in a S/H game, you go to the river with a pocker pair, HU. YMMV depending on your opponent. I would not have folded this in the manner you did.

all_aces
04-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks el and e... you raise points I had not given that much thought towards. I've gone to the river with similiar hands and won, but only when there are no big cards on the board... Example pkt pr 66 bets and wins on a ten high board. In this case however, I don't remember the flop but I remember it was scary. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif