PDA

View Full Version : Once again a bad riverplay?!

King_J
04-01-2003, 04:17 PM
5handed max 4-8 online

I raise on cutoff with K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif button make it three bets. BB calls and so do I.

Flop J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif
BB bets out, I call and button calls too.
Turn: 10 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Very nice. Nut straight on me.
BB bets, I raise, Button coldcalls. BB makes it three and I make it four and button cold calls. Big pot! Lets just hope that the river is blank

river 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif
Board is J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Big blind bets and I just call. Im always a chicken when my nuts turn into non-nuts. Button calls as well.

How many bets would you take on this river? I dont know very much about the players at all. So Ignore the tells, plz.

King_J
04-01-2003, 04:19 PM
I took it. BB had overplayed his two pair with 109o badly. Button showed JJ for top set on flop. Well, atleast I didnīt put him on that!

So, my straight are abviousy good and I dragged a nice pot, but it hurts that I didnīt raise.

AceHigh
04-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Don't beat yourself up about it. You won a big pot and a raise might knock out the button anyway (Probably not with this hand, but you can't know that).

The important thing is most of the money went in when you had the nuts.

elysium
04-01-2003, 07:18 PM
hi king
go ahead and raise the river, calla reraise. you have the lead and they won't draw out on you this time.

Bob T.
04-01-2003, 07:23 PM
With the potential overcaller I would call the river, if you are ahead, you might win two bets by risking only one. If you raise, the overcaller goes away, unless he beats you, and the bettor might not even call again, unless he beats you, in which case you might face a reraise, so in that case, you are trying to win two bets by risking three. I like two for the price of one alot better than two for the price of three.

Ed Miller
04-01-2003, 09:08 PM
The important thing is most of the money went in when you had the nuts.

The other important thing to note is that JJ played like a monkey. The most crucial decision in this hand was your decision on the flop when the BB bets into you. That is a very unpleasant situation... it is hard to lay down a hand like a gutshot and two overcards, especially in a 3-bet pot, but it is very possible that your overcards are no good given the 3-bettor behind you (and almost certain that you have at most one overcard working for you). Also, it is likely that the button will be raising behind you, trashing your gutshot odds. To be honest, I might have folded on the flop. But since you didn't, the button made sure you saw the turn to catch your miracle card at just the right price... then made sure to pay you off for four big bets in the turn when you had the best of it.

BTW, if you don't fold on the flop, I think you need to be raising to fold AK or AQ behind you.

AceHigh
04-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Good points. I didn't analyze the whole hand, so I just replied to the results.

"BTW, if you don't fold on the flop, I think you need to be raising to fold AK or AQ behind you. "

I agree it's preferable, plus you might be able to take a free card on the turn.