PDA

View Full Version : $109: JJ on paired board. Villian check/called my 1/2pot bet. Turn=?

AA suited
08-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t95)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 (t1745)</font>
UTG+2 (t1005)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t915)</font>
MP2 (t1025)
MP3 (t1025)
CO (t930)
Button (t1030)
SB (t945)
BB (t1285)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t75, MP2 calls t75, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t45.

Flop: (t315) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, MP2 folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t150.

Turn: (t615) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, HERO? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

No reads.

What's the standard line in this situation?

johnnybeef
08-18-2005, 10:46 PM
A lot of times if the player is decent I will check behind the flop bet, call a turn bet, and then bet the turn if he checks to me, or fold the river if he bets.

ChuckNorris
08-18-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of times if the player is decent I will check behind the flop bet, call a turn bet, and then bet the turn if he checks to me, or fold the river if he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm stupid but.. What does checking behind the flop bet mean? How do you check after a bet?? Also: "call a turn bet, and then bet the turn if he checks to me" /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Could you clarify this all a little please /images/graemlins/smile.gif

For the OP, I think checking the turn and calling villains possible river bet, at least if it's a small one, sounds like a nice line. I don't think there is much value to be extracted from your jacks here, and giving free cards isn't that scary. I like a cheap showdown here. Maybe that's what Johnnybeef is saying too?

AliasMrJones
08-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Any kind of read would be very helpful here. Raising standards, flop calling standards, anything. There's not much for him to like on the flop so looks like a pocket pair of some kind. (It would really help to know if he has called a flop bet with nothing before.) Given no read, an ep raise looks like AA-TT if it's a pocket pair. You're beat more often than you're ahead. Of course AK is a possibility as well, and you lose to that too. Given that, check/fold, check/fold is a possibility. Betting something like 200 is also a possibility as if you have a K it is exactly the kind of bet you'd be likely to make, then fold to a raise and check the river through if he calls.

Myst
08-18-2005, 11:01 PM
I like Johnny's line.

johnnybeef
08-18-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm stupid but.. What does checking behind the flop bet mean? How do you check after a bet?? Also: "call a turn bet, and then bet the turn if he checks to me" /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Could you clarify this all a little please /images/graemlins/smile.gif

For the OP, I think checking the turn and calling villains possible river bet, at least if it's a small one, sounds like a nice line. I don't think there is much value to be extracted from your jacks here, and giving free cards isn't that scary. I like a cheap showdown here. Maybe that's what Johnnybeef is saying too?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it was me, i meant check behind a flop check. people usually slowplay trips. and then i meant call a turn bet and then bet the river if he checks behind. sorry, i didnt proofread

johnnybeef
08-18-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this was one of those threads that you respond to, and then change your mind after you have it all written out. but, instead of hitting the back button on my browser, i absent mindedly clicked off IWTPMP and hit continue. as such, i didnt proofread.

here is what i meant to say. given the flop and the check on the flop, i usually check behind as this is a flop that is prone to slowplaying. now if he checks the turn, i usually bet, as most good players do not slowplay for more than one street without the mortal nuts. but if he bets the turn, he could either be betting the king or a hand that you have beat (i will usually fold to a small bet by the way). as such, you need more information, so it is a clear call. if he checks the river, you are likely to have the best hand, and you can make your value bet. if he bets, you are probably beat and can safely fold.