PDA

View Full Version : kick it up a notch

Inthacup
04-01-2003, 03:29 PM
I'm in SB in a not-too-aggressive 2 4 game. 5 people. Folded to me in Sb. I raise w/ A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . BB calls.

Flop is A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

I bet, BB calls

Turn is A /forums/images/icons/club.gif

I check, BB bets immediately, I check-raise, BB calls

River is 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

I bet, BB raises.

Did I overplay my hand? Do I 3-bet the river? What does BB have? Results posted later.

KSU78
04-01-2003, 09:11 PM
My thoughts are that you overplayed it. I am not sure what the big blind has, but I don't think three-betting the river is a very good idea. Should the big blind hold the case ace, you are in lot of trouble because the only hand you can beat is A6. There is a very good possibility that you are getting baited. Surely, the big blind is aware that you have an ace.

rigoletto
04-02-2003, 09:35 AM
I think betting the river is a mistake here. The only hands you beat are A6, pocket pairs or a busted draw (not likely). These hands will call, but when checked to you'll induce bluffs a lot of the time.

Inthacup
04-03-2003, 01:20 PM
I call the river raise and BB shows J 2un for the rivered strait. Ahhh, the joys of shorthanded hold em.

CrazyAzn
04-07-2003, 09:34 AM
on the river this is a poor bet... b/c you are hoping that u have him beat AND he will call your bet.

the correct play here is to ck to him and give him a chance to bet his missed draws or pocket pair. if u just lead out into him it is very unlikely that he will pay u off w/ these hands. however he will raise you if he had flopped a set or has hit is staight draw. your river bet is negative EV b/c worse hands will probably NOT call u, and better hands will likely riase you.

peter