PDA

View Full Version : Obvious river fold or obvious river call?

RiverMel
04-01-2003, 03:18 PM
2/4 a bit loose, not very aggressive but not passive either.

I'm UTG with K/forums/images/icons/spade.gifQ/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif, I raise, folded to SB who calls, BB calls. Flop:

7/forums/images/icons/club.gifK/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif3/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Checked to me, I bet, SB folds BB calls.

turn:
7/forums/images/icons/club.gifK/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif3/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[Q/forums/images/icons/spade.gif]

checked to me, I bet, BB calls.

river:
7/forums/images/icons/club.gifK/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif3/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[Q/forums/images/icons/spade.gif][3/forums/images/icons/club.gif]

BB checks, I bet, BB raises.

Call or fold?

Results to follow.

Homer
04-01-2003, 03:56 PM
I would call. If he has a three, so be it. There is a chance he has Kx and is raising now that his kicker is a Queen due to the board pairing. Perhaps he figures he is splitting with you and is raising trying to take the whole thing?

-- Homer

RockLobster
04-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Hi River--

I wouldn't fold top 2-pair here. I wouldn't 3-bet either. By the process of deduction, I would call 100% of the time.

Note: I didn't say "always" or "never". /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

34TheTruth34
04-01-2003, 05:12 PM

elysium
04-01-2003, 06:14 PM
hi river
call it. he doesn't have a three.

AceHigh
04-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Unless you know this player very well, call.

If you fold, be sure to say something like, "Stupid AJ, never wins". LOL, just kidding. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

RiverMel
04-01-2003, 06:21 PM
Results:

I called, he has 5/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif3/forums/images/icons/heart.gif

I always make this call. I was questioning it because I had been showing strength the whole hand so it seemed very unlikely to be a "move," except perhaps one of the kind Homer described.

cosmo kramer
04-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't like the raise UTG with KQo? This is a bad play in my mind. Anyway you must call the river.

cferejohn
04-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Raising w/KQo UTG shares the same problem with raising AJo UTG, namely that you tend to only get calls from exactly the hands you don't want to be up against. Shorthanded, or if it is folded to you in MP/LP, it becomes a better idea, both because of the chance of a blind steal and because you are less likely to be up against something better (since there are fewer unknown hands. If you raise and get callers, you can't really be comfortable if a K or Q falls.

However, in this situation, it turned out to be the "right" thing to do, since the BB made a series of terrible calls.

I think the river call is a must, unless you are sure this opponent does not bluff, and if you are sure he wouldn't try to get cute with something like Qd7d.

RiverMel
04-01-2003, 08:13 PM
OK, so if you don't raise with KQo, what do you do, fold? It seems to me that just calling invites limpers, which is bad for KQo (similar to AJo, plays poorly with more opponents). It also allows for being isolated by a raise, which usually lands you in the same situation as if you had raised rather than limped. I am far from convinced that raising is the correct play, but I don't like the alternatives very much.

Ed Miller
04-01-2003, 08:43 PM
If I folded every time I got raised in a situation like this, I'd be broke.

BB King's
04-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Folding KQo UTG (10-handed) is my default-play. Is that a big mistake ? If I don't fold I raise - I never call.

You have to call the river.