PDA

View Full Version : Taxes on Online gaming

08-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Hello, I see everyone here making alot of money playing STT, and I was wondering if you guys pay taxes on your gaming profits, I have made quite a chunkload of money playing online as well and I am wondering if you must do Taxes and if you do

ChoicestHops
08-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Pay taxes and keep records or get anally raped.

raptor517
08-18-2005, 07:03 PM
just go to vegas and lose it all there. thats the best way to deal with not paying taxes. holla

08-18-2005, 07:03 PM
What exactly do you mean by annaly raped, and isnt online poker illegal? How are we supposed to pay Taxes?

viennagreen
08-18-2005, 07:08 PM
even if online poker was officially illegal, with players being actively harrassed by the government-- it isn't illegal to report the income. it is illegal to NOT report it though.

the IRS is prohibited from notifying the Justice Department about any illegal income.

08-18-2005, 07:10 PM
So...everyone on this forum here pays taxes on their winnings, and if so..what percentage

viennagreen
08-18-2005, 07:13 PM
not everyone here pays taxes.... not everyone is supposed to....

i made an assumption that you are a US citizen--- US citizens have to pay taxes on gambling winnings... many other countries have more reasonable policies.

you do understand how US taxes work, right? just wondering because of your question "what percentage?".

08-18-2005, 07:16 PM
well im currently 17, and i Play on my moms account for partypoker and I've made quite a bit of change, I was wondering do i pay taxes or if i dont wil ig et introuble

08-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Do you have to pay Taxes on the money if you just let it sit in your account, or only when you withdraw it?

MegaBet
08-18-2005, 07:42 PM
YOU HAVE TO TELL US WHERE YOU ARE!!!

As a UK citizen I do NOT have to pay ANY tax (or any health insurance) so being a pro poker player over here is very VERY lucrative /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChoicestHops
08-18-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a UK citizen I do NOT have to pay ANY tax (or any health insurance) so being a pro poker player over here is very VERY lucrative

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you that but the UK is still f'n expensive.

MegaBet
08-18-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a UK citizen I do NOT have to pay ANY tax (or any health insurance) so being a pro poker player over here is very VERY lucrative

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should add I live mostly in the US, but my poker winnings are connected to my UK bank. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

08-18-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should add I live mostly in the US, but my poker winnings are connected to my UK bank. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this could be considered tax evasion....

Degen
08-18-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just go to vegas and lose it all there. thats the best way to deal with not paying taxes. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure if the great philosopher Raptazzle meant it or not...but that is a great clue about how to avoid claiming some of that income...

MegaBet
08-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Trust me, I checked first. All above board.

unreal_nh
08-18-2005, 07:53 PM
this is my first year of online poker.. but as far as i know u either have to report your winnings as other income on form 1040, or enter it on schedule C if it is your main source of income. i'm not 100% completely sure though. i think u have to report 100% of your winnings and deduct your losses as an itemized deduction (on 1040) or report your losses and winnings on schedule C.

raptor517
08-18-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is my first year of online poker.. but as far as i know u either have to report your winnings as other income on form 1040, or enter it on schedule C if it is your main source of income. i'm not 100% completely sure though. i think u have to report 100% of your winnings and deduct your losses as an itemized deduction (on 1040) or report your losses and winnings on schedule C.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you dont deduct your losses correctly, it can really screw you. the problem with reporting sng earnings, is that you have to report EVERY single place you get, and that total amound. THEN you have to deduct the losses. otherwise.. you end up paying tax on only the wins.. which the tax itself will probably be more than you made.. holla

Degen
08-18-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you dont deduct your losses correctly, it can really screw you. the problem with reporting sng earnings, is that you have to report EVERY single place you get, and that total amound. THEN you have to deduct the losses...

[/ QUOTE ]

then you have to deduct your vegas losses (HINT!), and all the money you lost at B&M poker (HINT, HINT!!!) and home games (HINT, HINT, HINT, HINT!!!!!)

tshort
08-18-2005, 08:04 PM
The answer to this question is incredibly easy to find:

Go to www.google.com (http://www.google.com) .

Type in a web search "taxes gambling [your state]".

There is an extra form for reporting gambling winnings that you will find through google search. I would recommend using Quicken or something to use your taxes.

Travis

unreal_nh
08-18-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you dont deduct your losses correctly, it can really screw you. the problem with reporting sng earnings, is that you have to report EVERY single place you get, and that total amound. THEN you have to deduct the losses. otherwise.. you end up paying tax on only the wins.. which the tax itself will probably be more than you made.. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

so is it better to just use the form 1040 and deduct your losses as an itemized deduction and lose your standard deduction... or deduct it on schedule C? or is there another better way?

raptor517
08-18-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so is it better to just use the form 1040 and deduct your losses as an itemized deduction and lose your standard deduction... or deduct it on schedule C? or is there another better way?

[/ QUOTE ]

basically, all the methods for reporting gambling earnings are crap. they all suck, and they make it as difficult as possible on you. thats why i like just going ot vegas and depositing it there. its safe. holla

unreal_nh
08-18-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

basically, all the methods for reporting gambling earnings are crap. they all suck, and they make it as difficult as possible on you. thats why i like just going ot vegas and depositing it there. its safe. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

its safe lol

fluorescenthippo
08-18-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pay taxes and get anally raped.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

08-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Do you have to report your earnings from rakeback?

raptor517
08-18-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have to report your earnings from rakeback?

[/ QUOTE ]

its all considered income, so yes. but then again.. you dont have to report EVERYTHING you make.. holla