PDA

View Full Version : Good move, or foolish newbie play?

08-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 7

Seat 1: fourtytwo4l ( $1345 )
Seat 2: smokeymokey ( $1605 )
Seat 3: HERO ( $1260 )
Seat 4: masterloop23 ( $600 )
Seat 5: Red_Skittles ( $1140 )
Seat 7: twix33 ( $1440 )
Seat 9: FaceGuy ( $610 )

Blinds(50/100)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ ? ? ]

masterloop23 folds.
Red_Skittles raises [275].
twix33 folds.
FaceGuy folds.
fourtytwo4l folds.
smokeymokey folds.
HERO calls [175].

** Dealing Flop ** [ 4s, 6s, 6h ]
HERO checks.
Red_Skittles bets [175].
HERO is all-In [985]

I took away my cards, simply becasue for analysis of this hand they do not matter. I have nothing.

Do you make this same move?

jt1
08-18-2005, 06:41 PM
gp if red is a good player, donks will often call with overs, although admittedly the paired board makes this less likely but you would have gone all-in anyway -- without a very sure read, i'd just play your cards

ChoicestHops
08-18-2005, 06:42 PM
This is a donk play if it's a complete bluff.

jt1
08-18-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a donk play if it's a complete bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd never do it at the lower levels, but theoretically this can be an expert play. Again, you better have a very sure read.

would a solid player make a weak continuatin bet without a made hand? Probably not unless he was setting up bluetooth, in which case, this is probably a hand from the world poker tour and not a sit & go. Having said that it would be nice if hero had at the very least 2 cards over 8 with a backdoor flush draw

lastchance
08-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Way too FPS for me.

08-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Here is the reason for my re-raise.

1. His bet on the flop relative to the pot
2. I sensed weakness
3. His preflop play
4. The texture of the flop

It all tied together to make me come to the conclusion that he had nothing, and that my raise would be big enough to make him fold any non-paired hand.

Do you still think it is wrong?

Thanks!

11t
08-18-2005, 06:58 PM
I would argue that your cards do matter.

Without a read this is foolish.

08-18-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Way too FPS for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but what does "FPS" mean?

Cheers

ChoicestHops
08-18-2005, 07:00 PM
It all just depends but I would never pull this. Donks will call with two overs here and a pair should call here.

ldavidjm
08-18-2005, 07:06 PM
FPS is fancy player syndrome. This is a pretty fancy play and for it to work you have to have a thinking opponent (who will fold his overs). I think this is partially buyin level dependant, the lower the level the worse this is. With a solid read against thinking player that likes to fold they will probably lay down overs. Any PP is calling here I think though.

ChoicestHops
08-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Another reason I dont like this play is because you have a very healty stack related to the blinds and other people at the table.

08-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Ok I will take your advice. Bad play for the long run.

But for this particular hand, I felt strongly that I could pull it off. I was plannig on checking just to see what he would bet and play it from there. Instinct took over and it was just an auto all in. Really my cards dont matter. I have 2 overcards with no draw, but I would have done the same with 2 under cards no draw.

I just hate folding to the chumps who bet not even 1/3 of the pot on a weird board. It's got to be a lousy attempt to steal right? I am thinking any pair would push with a pot that size (Except for maybe KK AA).

Xenod
08-19-2005, 01:03 AM
This is a play you can make SOMETIMES. It looks great when it works and you feel like an idiot when it doesn't. You can get away with this maybe once per tourney, but I wouldn't even do it that often. Basically, you need an aggressive opponent who will CB frequently and who will fold if he can't bluff back.

I cannot stress enough that this is not a standard play and should only be used very rarely.

derdo
08-19-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. I sensed weakness

[/ QUOTE ]
It always helps to have Jedi senses:)
Come on man, online, low limits, we can't sense anything. I sometimes sense myself pulling a stupid bluff and do it anyway but that's different I guess.