PDA

View Full Version : When to give up a steal attempt?

eh923
04-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Below is a specific example, but some general pointers would be nice as well.

The particulars:
On my 2nd hand at a 2-4 table at Paradise(and I didn't recognize any of the opponents), it folded around to me. I had A3o, and raised from the SB. The BB re-raised. I called, not sure if he was just standing ground, or if his cards were legit.

Flop was ragged, J,5,x. I bet, hoping he would fold, but was called. Turn was a blank, and we both checked. River was a Q, but didn't give flush or likely straight draws. I checked, he bet, and I called. He showed K5o, and won the hand.

1. Was it a mistake to try the steal not knowing the texture of the game?
2. How about calling the reraise PF?
3. Betting the flop to represent strength?
4. Calling the river?

Thanks!

DaNoob
04-01-2003, 12:21 PM
I've run into similar situations several times in the last few days. I'd be interested to hear others' advice on this subject. I THINK a key strategy is to get a read on your opponent's hand at some point, although this will usually give them the opportunity to steal from you as well. But then again, if you don't they are stealing from you in another form. DOH! There I go getting dizzy again.

"Well which one is it young fella? Cause iffin I freeze, I can't likely drop, and iffin I drop, well, I'd be in motion"

tekksan
04-01-2003, 12:43 PM
One thing I would've done on this hand if I were you would be to bet the turn when a blank came and give him a chance to fold with his bottom pair when the betting size doubles. You basically told him you didn't have anything on the turn.

On the river I would've folded as it is unlikely you are going to win with Ace high here as he knows you don't have anything and he feels a bit better about his small pair.

My $.02

34TheTruth34
04-01-2003, 04:13 PM
I think with no read on the player or game in the first trip around the table, I would just fold in this situation. Once you start to get any kind of read on how often your opponent defends his blinds (and more importantly, with what), then your A3 becomes too good to fold heads up. But now at least you know that this player will defend his BB with K-rag. Just jot it in the player notes and use the info the best you can

RockLobster
04-01-2003, 04:36 PM
Hey There--

1. Was it a mistake to try the steal not knowing the texture of the game?

I don't think so, seems reasonable to me. An ace heads-up is a decent hand, so even if you do get called you're not in bad shape.

2. How about calling the reraise PF?

I call here, but something tells me to consider 3-betting.

3. Betting the flop to represent strength?

I have a tough time in these situations, sorry.

4. Calling the river?

Bad. Fold or raise only.

AceHigh
04-01-2003, 07:03 PM
#1 - No, you played it fine.

#2 - for image reasons I think you have to call.

#3 - I think most times I would just check/fold against an unkown opponent. Most 3 bettors can beat A3 can't they?

#4 - I'm curious to know what hand my opponent plays like this, so I would probably call.

elysium
04-01-2003, 07:15 PM
hi eh
this is a borderline play here with A3o, but it's o.k.
when you're stealing you like to have some idea about whether opponent will defend with nothing; in other words, you must know if you have a reasonable chance to get the fold pre-flop. also, it helps if you have a solid image.

cferejohn
04-01-2003, 07:33 PM
I think if you try this play, you have to take another swing on the turn. Preflop there are 6 bets, so he's getting 7:1 on his flop call. There are many many players who will automatically call a flop bet in this situation, and fold to a turn bet if they don't improve. If you get raised in either place, you can obviously lay it down, and you can check-fold the river. You invest the same amount of money (since you were willing to call a river bet) and you give yourself a chance of winning the hand when you are 2nd best.