PDA

View Full Version : Party 30/60: King high calldown.

Jeff W
08-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Villain is pretty tight, but very aggressive pre flop.

Stats: 22/14/1.6 over 1600 hands(sorted for 7-10 players).

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Jeff is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Jeff completes, BB checks.

Flop: (2 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Jeff checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Jeff calls.

Turn: (2 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Jeff checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Jeff calls.

River: (4 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Jeff checks and intends to call a bet.

baronzeus
08-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Whenever I open complete I like to bet the flop, especially when it's likely I have the best hand.

The calldown looks OK to me.

ggbman
08-18-2005, 05:29 PM
If you have a read that he will bet this river with worse than K high, this is fine. I do this a fair percentage of the time against over-aggros who just wont stop bluffing. I would c/r the turn though. Occasionally a 4 folds, you often have the best hand and the best draw, and you often get a free showdown, as most 4's won't bet even if you check the river to them. This makes sense right?

Danenania
08-18-2005, 05:33 PM
If you would call the river then how about a flop or turn c/r?

baronzeus
08-18-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point? He'll fold his 9 high and 3bet with most better hands, and sometimes you'll be forced to fold the river if he bluff-3bets the turn.

The only thing I can think here is if he has a club that he thinks is worse drawing for on the turn.

wackjob
08-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Do you not raise PF because he is very aggro PF? I think I would start with a PF raise. The way you played it, what range of hands do you put villain on that he is going to bet the river with when he can check behind if he has crap?

Danenania
08-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Because I think he's much more likely to be betting a worse hand on the flop or turn than on the river, so I like a line that takes it from him in one of these spots instead of waiting for the river and being forced to make a very marginal call. Also it's very feasible that you'll induce him to fold some better hands.

New001
08-18-2005, 05:41 PM
I don't play 30/60, but I'm raising K6 against a player like you described.

ggbman
08-18-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point? He'll fold his 9 high and 3bet with most better hands, and sometimes you'll be forced to fold the river if he bluff-3bets the turn.

The only thing I can think here is if he has a club that he thinks is worse drawing for on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop, your logic is correct, but not on the turn. On the turn, villian could have nothing, a 4, or a club. Sometimes he folds a 4 without a club to the turn c/r. Not all the time, but the key here is that he won't likely bet a 4 here on the river, so we don't lose and extra money by doing this when he has a 4. He might have bluffed the flop and then picked up a worse club draw, in which case we get extra value from, the c/r. While a check raise on the flop doesn't accomplish anything, one on the turn accomplishes a lot IMO.

P.S., if he calls the turn C/R, i would c/c any river just like we had planned to before.

Jeff W
08-18-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you not raise PF because he is very aggro PF? I think I would start with a PF raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I open-complete a lot. I like to play small pots when I'm out of position against a very aggressive, tenacious opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
The way you played it, what range of hands do you put villain on that he is going to bet the river with when he can check behind if he has crap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know exactly what his hand range is, but I imagine he's checking behind hands like King high. Note that he raises a lot pre flop, yet he didn't raise my open limp. I imagine he bets a lot of hands I beat, though it may be close as to whether he has a worse hand 1/6 times here.