PDA

View Full Version : I know I'm ahead, but I know I'm going to lose....

pokerdirty
08-18-2005, 05:00 PM
So why do I put my chips in the pot?

I'm playing heads up ($11, PR) and he started with a 3,500- 11,500 chip lead. I got it to 8000-7000 in my favor, and then he starts insta-pushing. I comment to him "you know the only way you can beat me is to get lucky". He did not like this at all. after about 4 times of doing this, I get K8o in the SB, and I min raise, expecting a push, and he did exactly that. I know I'm ahead here, but I know I'm going to lose.

Hornacek
08-18-2005, 05:02 PM
why do that with K8? with relative small blinds compared to stack sizes, why not wait for PP or ace?

if you think the K is good, you need to call... you're gonna have to make a stand sooner or later anyways.

downtown
08-18-2005, 05:07 PM
What are the blinds when he starts pushing? Maybe it was correct for him to push every hand if they were large enough. If they weren't large, maybe you could have waited for a better hand?

pokerdirty
08-18-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you think the K is good, you need to call... you're gonna have to make a stand sooner or later anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I KNOW the K is good preflop, unfortunately 5 cards make a hand, not 2.

How do you guys deal with the luckbox pushers other than try and get lucky yourselves? Blinds are increasing so fast....

my first thought is, that I push from the SB with any 2 cards. but I dont like this because it's really just a shot it the dark. I feel like if I raise, and he pushes, i'll have the best hand, or at least 2 overs, but if he reraises, I'll know i'm beat (betting less to make me think that he has a lesser hand, i see this moronic play all the time at PR). Anybody agree?

pokerdirty
08-18-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are the blinds when he starts pushing?

[/ QUOTE ]

400-800 I think. (maybe 3-6)

what are the odds of me getting a better hand than K8 in the next, say, 5 hands?

ChoicestHops
08-18-2005, 05:12 PM
What are the blinds? There is a time that is theoretically correct to push every single hand heads up.

N/M I just saw your edit. If the blinds are over 10x and you have a great chip lead, I would call his push with Ax, any pair, call a mini raise with any two cards.

pokerdirty
08-18-2005, 05:30 PM
yeah yeah, i know what to do in this situation, i obviously called. he turned over QJ. I knew i was going to lose, and lost, when he flopped his Q and rivered his J.

I know I'm making the correct play by calling here, but it just sucks huge donkey nuts when you know you are going to lose.

lastchance
08-18-2005, 05:34 PM
You've got to gamble. If blinds are 400/800, there's no way that you're going to win without getting lucky. You need to take any edge you can, and you need to pushbot.

raptor517
08-18-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So why do I put my chips in the pot?

I'm playing heads up ($11, PR) and he started with a 3,500- 11,500 chip lead. I got it to 8000-7000 in my favor, and then he starts insta-pushing. I comment to him "you know the only way you can beat me is to get lucky". He did not like this at all. after about 4 times of doing this, I get K8o in the SB, and I min raise, expecting a push, and he did exactly that. I know I'm ahead here, but I know I'm going to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you min raised.. expecting a push.. and he did push.. why would you not call? i must be confused. for some reason i find it correct to follow whatever plan i had and if i think i have the best hand, and in fact DO have the best hand, i generally try to get my chips in. i duno, could be a leak.. holla