PDA

View Full Version : Adding wireless connection

mwilli31
08-18-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm kinda new to the whole wireless connection scene. Problem is I have a regular cable modem and my roommate just moved in and adding another modem is expensive (thank you Adelphia). He has a desktop computer so a wireless card would be necessary along with a wireless router. Any suggestions? And where does the wireless router connection to? My cable modem, the wall? Any help greatly appreciated.

Freakin
08-18-2005, 04:20 PM
You'd need a wireless router. Any computers that are not close enough to (or convenient) plug into the wireless router would also need a wireless adapter installed (can be an external USB adapter).

The connection would go
Wall-->Cable Modem using regular coax cable
Cable Modem-->Wireless Router - Using a regular ethernet network cable and plugging into the WAN or Internet port on the router
Wireless Router-->Computers - This connection is either made wirelessly or with network cables

Freakin

jayboo
08-19-2005, 12:58 AM
i have a lynksys router. It was like 80 bucks and i have 2 pc's and a laptop on it on 1 connection. It's a great device and cheap. Also very easy to install, takes about 15 minutes
Jay

StevieG
08-19-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He has a desktop computer so a wireless card would be necessary along with a wireless router.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. First off, if you get a Linksys wireless router you'll have four wired ports on the back. If you can get his desktop within 100 feet or so, you can just tack CAT5 cable along the wall and you're good.

Or, you can get a wireless adapter instead of opening the case and putting in a WiFi PCI card. Amazon has one for under $50, and there is a $10 rebate available. linky (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009X6PH/ref=pd_cps_e_4/104-7057191-7991124?v=glance&s=electronics)