PDA

View Full Version : How big is a zip code?

poker-penguin
08-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Of the dozen or so customers we have at the moment, two share the same Zip code, that made me a little curious, are they like next door neighbours, or just living in the same area of the city? or just the same city (Houston)?

Yes, it's sad that I think about this, and yes, I could get drunk then call them, but it's easier to post on OOT.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Same general part of town.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 03:42 PM
It varies a lot. Some are very small, like just a few blocks. Some are much larger.

bwana devil
08-18-2005, 03:43 PM
there's a street performer in boulder, co and his trick is you tell him your zip code and he'll tell you the city youre from and where you like to have lunch in your home town (basically a locally owned restaurant). he was amazing. he was right on about 90-95% of the time.

so in answer to your question, i have no idea.

7ontheline
08-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Yeah, it depends on how dense the population is in the area.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it depends on how dense the population is in the area.

[/ QUOTE ]

and how big the post office that services the area is.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-18-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there's a street performer in boulder, co and his trick is you tell him your zip code and he'll tell you the city youre from and where you like to have lunch in your home town (basically a locally owned restaurant). he was amazing. he was right on about 90-95% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's his range? Does it have to be in the general Denver area, or can I give him the zip code from where I grew up in WI or where I lived for a while in San Diego? I might have to go find this guy and try it out.

Voltron87
08-18-2005, 03:48 PM
i grew up in nyc. me and my two best high school friends grew up 5 minutes from each other, sort of a triangle. 3 different zip codes.

astroglide
08-18-2005, 03:49 PM
my dad was a postmaster and he can name anywhere by its zip code. i believe there's some kind of formula to it with a few exceptions.

Bulldog
08-18-2005, 03:49 PM
My company has a mailroom that has its own zip code. Seriously.

bwana devil
08-18-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's his range? Does it have to be in the general Denver area, or can I give him the zip code from where I grew up in WI or where I lived for a while in San Diego? I might have to go find this guy and try it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

US he was accurate w/ zip code 100% and could almost always name a restaurant. internationally he could usually get the zip code (or whatever it's called internationally) but no restaurant)

my gf at the time told him her zip in north dakota. he immediate said "oh youre from minot ND and you like to have lunch at the soup dragon next to the hospital" and then went on to the next person. people were just yelling zip codes out to him and he was just bouncing them back. he was great.

Slow Play Ray
The average zip code in the continental U.S. covers 100 square miles.

James Boston
I live in a pretty small are. (140,000 pop. maybe) It's made up of 4 small cities that flow seemlessly from one to the other. When I fist moved here, I never knew which city I was technically in. They each have a seperate zip code, and within each one, people who use a PO Box get yet another zip code.

bwana devil
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my dorm had its own zip code. seriously.

EDIT: i just double checked and apparently that's urban legend at the school. seriously.

imported_The Vibesman
08-18-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of these are uncommon. Seriously.

TheWorstPlayer
08-18-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The latter isn't uncommon despite its apparent lack of truth in this case? Seriously.

peachy
08-18-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It varies a lot. Some are very small, like just a few blocks. Some are much larger.

[/ QUOTE ]

when they r much larger people usually use the longer digits, like the 1st 5 then - and more numbers...this gives u a more direct location

i think /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

imported_The Vibesman
08-18-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The latter isn't uncommon despite its apparent lack of truth in this case? Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't know about dorms, but large apartment complexes, and the like, yes, can have their own zip codes. College campuses as well.

cbfair
08-18-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when they r much larger people usually use the longer digits, like the 1st 5 then - and more numbers...this gives u a more direct location

[/ QUOTE ]

The zip+4 designation is for carrier route sorting (CRRT). Every mailbox in america is assigned a CRRT; bulk mailers attempt to standardize every adress they mail to so that the letters can be routed directly to the appropriate carrier's bag and save big $ on postage.

Size of the area is irrelevant.

Stu Pidasso
08-18-2005, 04:20 PM
zip codes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_code)

Stu

FouTight
08-18-2005, 04:26 PM
I just thought each post office had it's own zip code, and a zip code was as large of an area as that post office delievered from...

poker-penguin
08-18-2005, 04:37 PM
That was fast.

That street performer sounds pretty damn good (sure there's a formula to how they ae assigned, but learning it so smoothly and knowing the restaurants is a very good trick - I hope he makes mad coin).

peachy
08-18-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The zip+4 designation is for carrier route sorting (CRRT). Every mailbox in america is assigned a CRRT; bulk mailers attempt to standardize every adress they mail to so that the letters can be routed directly to the appropriate carrier's bag and save big $ on postage.

Size of the area is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

my point was in larger areas these extra numbers helps u narrow it down

icepick
08-22-2005, 10:39 PM
http://zipcodeman.com/

bwana devil
08-22-2005, 10:50 PM
holy [censored]! that's him. crazy. that was about 8 years ago that i saw him. thanks man.

btw this is the first time i am getting censored in a post. this post just needed it.

bwana