PDA

View Full Version : Common Errors in 6-max play

08-18-2005, 02:14 PM
I play exclusively 6-max hold 'em at Party Poker. I am in approximately equal measures a winner at $.50/1 and a loser at $1/2. It is no mystery to me why I win at $.50/1. There are several common errors that I am able to recognize and exploit at this level. These include:

-frequent open-limping and cold-calling raises preflop
-allowing my $.50 flop bet to win a $3.25 pot uncontested at least one-thrid of the time after I have raised preflop
-calling down with bottom pair too much
-an unwillingness to check-raise me although I am consistently the aggressor

Likewise, I am starting to realize that the reason I am not winning at $1/2 is that I am not able to recognize any systematic mistakes by my opponents. I am sure these mistakes exist, otherwise no one would be able to win at $1/2 over the long run. I think mistakes are happening all around me, but I don't realize they are mistakes. This further leads me to suspect that I am making the same mistakes repeatedly, thus condemning myself to losing.

So I was wondering if those of you who win consistently at the $1/2 level would share some of the common mistakes you see. My guess is that I will see many aspects of my own game in your responses. Hopefully by working on these mistakes, I can start winning at the $1/2 level.

Thanks in advance!

Online247
08-18-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play exclusively 6-max hold 'em at Party Poker. I am in approximately equal measures a winner at $.50/1 and a loser at $1/2. It is no mystery to me why I win at $.50/1. There are several common errors that I am able to recognize and exploit at this level. These include:

-frequent open-limping and cold-calling raises preflop
-allowing my $.50 flop bet to win a $3.25 pot uncontested at least one-thrid of the time after I have raised preflop
-calling down with bottom pair too much
-an unwillingness to check-raise me although I am consistently the aggressor

Likewise, I am starting to realize that the reason I am not winning at $1/2 is that I am not able to recognize any systematic mistakes by my opponents. I am sure these mistakes exist, otherwise no one would be able to win at $1/2 over the long run. I think mistakes are happening all around me, but I don't realize they are mistakes. This further leads me to suspect that I am making the same mistakes repeatedly, thus condemning myself to losing.

So I was wondering if those of you who win consistently at the $1/2 level would share some of the common mistakes you see. My guess is that I will see many aspects of my own game in your responses. Hopefully by working on these mistakes, I can start winning at the $1/2 level.

Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

WHat exactly are your problems in 1/2? I see the same errors in 1/2 that you see at .5/1 6 max. The only problem I had when I first started out at 1/2 was dealing with the aggression. I see a lot more semi bluff raises and just straight bluffs than I ever saw at .5/1. Other than that I don't think it's much different from .5/1, the players are still way too loose and suck ass postflop.

deception5
08-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Most common mistakes I see in addition to the ones you mention:

- Bluffing too much.
- Playing too many hands.
- Not playing enough hands.
- Calling down with Ace high or worse.
- Calling down too much.
- Folding to preflop raises too much.
- Not folding to preflop raises enough /images/graemlins/smile.gif
- Cold calling preflop raises.
- Folding every time they miss the flop.
- Failling to adapt to the table "flow". (Trying to isolate at a table where 3 people will cc raises preflop, folding hands like Q8s in the BB when a 75% preflop raiser raises from the button, etc).

Online247
08-18-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most common mistakes I see in addition to the ones you mention:

- Bluffing too much.
- Playing too many hands.
- Not playing enough hands.
- Calling down with Ace high or worse.
- Calling down too much.
- Folding to preflop raises too much.
- Not folding to preflop raises enough /images/graemlins/smile.gif
- Cold calling preflop raises.
- Folding every time they miss the flop.
- Failling to adapt to the table "flow". (Trying to isolate at a table where 3 people will cc raises preflop, folding hands like Q8s in the BB when a 75% preflop raiser raises from the button, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

very thorough. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Redd
08-18-2005, 02:28 PM
You know what they say: if you can't find the sucker at the table in 5 minutes... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Too bad I do pretty much well everything Davelin mentioned.

08-18-2005, 03:09 PM
I feel like my biggest problem is protecting my hands. It just seems like so often I have a pair of jacks, queens, etc., and no matter what I do I can't get the hand HU. When I try to check-raise, it will often be checked through, and when I lead out it seems like everyone calls. I guess I need to get better at raising with vulnerable hands when I do have position, but it's tough to do with a pair of jacks.

Plus, I have a tough time figuring out what's worth playing post-flop. I don't want to be a "fit or fold" type player, but I don't want to be a "calling down with A high" player either. As a result I think I call too much on the flop and fold too much on the turn, but I don't really know.

deception5
08-18-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like my biggest problem is protecting my hands. It just seems like so often I have a pair of jacks, queens, etc., and no matter what I do I can't get the hand HU. When I try to check-raise, it will often be checked through, and when I lead out it seems like everyone calls. I guess I need to get better at raising with vulnerable hands when I do have position, but it's tough to do with a pair of jacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post some of these hands.

Online247
08-18-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Plus, I have a tough time figuring out what's worth playing post-flop. I don't want to be a "fit or fold" type player, but I don't want to be a "calling down with A high" player either. As a result I think I call too much on the flop and fold too much on the turn, but I don't really know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Protecting your hands is important, but sometimes you just aren't able to. In those situations bet for value. BUt yeah like decpetion said, post some trouble hands.

08-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks guys I will. I am at work right now and my hand histories are at home, but I will try to post some hands tonight or tomorrow.