PDA

View Full Version : Way Down Below....

12-20-2001, 12:40 AM
Take a long scroll down friends and follow the continuing "debates": we have for your enjoyment Dr. Wogga vs. Cyrus and, way down below, Ray Springfield vs. Dan Hanson! I won't say whose side I'm on, but let's just say the two nut cases are on the same side of the "vs."

John

12-20-2001, 02:52 AM
John,

Here's your assignment for Christmas break. Have you noticed that SPM read too much Pilgram's Progress during his formative years? (It could have been worse. He could have been reading Finnigan's Wake.) Your assignment is to find literary voices for all our regular posters. It'll be easy for a man of your talents. I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of no-brainers. Sredni will be assigned Saki, and Ray Zee will do e. e. cummings.

You pick the rest.

Good luck!

12-20-2001, 03:00 AM
I'm not sure just where I fit into all of this, but on a scale of 1 to 10 I feel like I might have moved a couple notches towards the nutty pole this year. Not the same nutty pole as some of our other forum acquantainces; just the nutty pole in general.

12-20-2001, 12:06 PM
Keeping in mind Gertrude Stein's line about Ezra Pound--"Ezra is the village explainer. Fine if you're a village. If not, not"--I think I'll have to open that one up to nominations.

John

12-20-2001, 12:16 PM
finnigans wake was not too bad a read. thats where gel-mann got his name for the quark. it came from the line --three quarks for master mark.

12-20-2001, 12:18 PM
i would rather mess around with the trashery of mr. ogden nashery. thats more fun.

12-20-2001, 12:23 PM
e.e. types like me and his poems are up my alley somewhat, but i have a slew of poets im quite fond of. three of the roberts anyway, even though each is very differnt. browning , service , frost.

forget about that lawrence ferlingetti stuff as thats not me.

12-20-2001, 01:00 PM
Ogden Nash is one of my all time favorites. He gave a reading at my school when I was in junior high. It'll probably be another century 'til his greatness is understood.

I live in an area that has a tourist industry based partly on bats. When people tell me they've been to see the bats, I always ask, "Did you see any bittens?" So far, I've only received blank stares.

Whales have calves

Cats have kittens

Bears have cubs

Bats have bittens

Swans have cygnets

And Seals have puppies,

But Guppies just have little Guppies.

12-20-2001, 09:23 PM
"We have for your enjoyment

Dr. Wogga vs. Cyrus

and, way down below,

Ray Springfield vs. Dan Hanson!

Let's just say the two nut cases are on the same side of the vs."

You must be kidding! Dan Hanson is not a nut. I have disagreed with many of his views (I don't think he's an anti-semite from what little I read from him) but he comes prepared, puts up a fair fight and he's certainly not crazy.

12-21-2001, 07:58 PM
Cyrus, my friend,

You know perfectly well whom I was indicating; someone--although I don't quite see how--might actually think I'm implicating you and Dan.

John