PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Challenge

Prelude008
08-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Weight Loss Challenge,

I’ve notice a lot of poker challenges in various forms (# hands played challenges, win $X in 60 days, etc)..so that got me thinking of something that I’ve been struggling with and wanting to do…losing weight and was curious if there are others who are interested in doing this also.

If so, I thought a weight loss challenge would be fun. We could set goals, offer support and advice, and check in to hold ourselves accountable. Just like the do on The Biggest Loser, Celebrity Fit Club, and Health Cops. Is there any interest? I seem to know what I need to do, I just seem "motivationally" and "committment" challenged. It seems like I am "turning over a new leaf" every week. Ultimately, I know the determination has to come from within, however, I thought a challenge would be fun and a great start. Thoughts….

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Can I be the fat ex-wrestler that cries in all the commercials?

Matt Williams
08-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm in. I am becoming a complete fat toad. I am up to 270 lbs. I am 6'4" so that helps a little. Ideally, I would like to lose 15 lbs or so by the end of the year.

ddollevoet
08-18-2005, 02:47 PM
IN.

SL__72
08-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Didn't we have one of these yesterday?

Al P
08-18-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't we have one of these yesterday?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Count me in.

What stats should we post in the official thread (how about we start it monday?).

Current Weight
Goal Weight
BodyFat % (if known)
Goal BodyFat % (if known)

Stuey
08-18-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What stats should we post in the official thread (how about we start it monday?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting weight = Starting bankroll

Amount of time in minutes spent exercising = # of hands played

Level of exertion during exercise = Aggression level

% of days of you exercised = WTSD%

% of days under total calorie requirement = W$WSF

Pounds lost X 3500 / Minutes spent exercising = your bb/100 win or loss rate

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Matt Williams
08-18-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting weight = Starting bankroll

Amount of time in minutes spent exercising = # of hands played

Level of exertion during exercise = Aggression level

% of days of you exercised = WTSD%

% of days under total calorie requirement = W$WSF

Pounds lost X 3500 / Minutes spent exercising = your bb/100 win or loss rate

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, I'd say that's a good idea but that has poker contents you n00b.

Prelude008
08-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Great there's interest,

I didn't see the post yesterday. Does anyone have a link? (but I will try to searchf or it) I like the stats. Maybe I'm use to planning for "falling off" but Monday weigh-in would maganify any weekend cheating - but we shouldn't be doing any right? This could be good in a way or an alternate mid-week day wouldn't reflect any weekend cheating. I'm open.

I would like to lose 75 lbs.

Blarg
08-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Good luck guys! Making a public commitment definitely can encourage you to meet your goals.

12ozLongneck
08-18-2005, 11:36 PM
I started down the road to becoming less of a fatass a couple of weeks ago. I'm 5'9"/180, which means that I'm carrying around a good sized spare tire.

All I'm doing as far as eating concerned is making sure that I'm consuming fewer calories than I would need to in order to maintain my current weight each day and that those calories are coming from healthy meals that contain the appropriate ratio of protien, carbs, and fat.

As far as exercise goes, I'm lifting Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Cardio is done 6 or 7 days a week. I'm mainly concerned with fat loss right now, but I'll start working on figuring out how to add mass in the form of muscle once I've gotten rid of the body fat that I don't want hanging around.

whiskeytown
08-19-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm in -

I'm at 215 (6'3") - would like to get back to 180, so 35 pounds for me, I guess...

RB

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Wow...I'm 6' and 245 and I can't imagine being 215 much less 180. I think I'd look studly (more studly?) if I dropped even 15 pounds.

I'm not in this.

john smith
08-19-2005, 01:53 AM
I'm in.

19 years old, 5'6 tall and weigh 150.

whiskeytown
08-19-2005, 01:56 AM
all my weight looks like it's centered in the gut and face - no nice big arms to at least look muscular -

I'd like to get back down a bit -

RB

plaster8
08-19-2005, 02:05 AM
I'd definitely like to get in on this. I'm 6'2" and weigh 265. Been big all my life, but this is just a little too big.

OK -- more than a little. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

08-19-2005, 02:10 AM
Interested

Prelude008
08-19-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I started down the road to becoming less of a fatass a couple of weeks ago. I'm 5'9"/180, which means that I'm carrying around a good sized spare tire.

All I'm doing as far as eating concerned is making sure that I'm consuming fewer calories than I would need to in order to maintain my current weight each day and that those calories are coming from healthy meals that contain the appropriate ratio of protien, carbs, and fat.

As far as exercise goes, I'm lifting Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Cardio is done 6 or 7 days a week. I'm mainly concerned with fat loss right now, but I'll start working on figuring out how to add mass in the form of muscle once I've gotten rid of the body fat that I don't want hanging around.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you are off to a good start. I am currently 5"6" and weigh.....yikes 245.5 (yesterday). I think I will make Thursdays my weigh in day, hence if I slip on the weekends, it'll give me a few days to counter it. My ultimate goal is to lose 75lbs. My new "First Week" goal is 4lbs (since initially you lose more water) and then I'll aim for the standard 2lbs a week.

My immediate goal is just to get through the weekend without sliding back. I currently exercise and take about 10 dance classes a week (hip hop and jazz funk). I need to find time to incorporate weights and "gym cardio". I'll work on this next week. Hopefully this will be my LAST time "turning over a new leaf" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

plaster8
08-20-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you are off to a good start. I am currently 5"6" and weigh.....yikes 245.5 (yesterday). I think I will make Thursdays my weigh in day, hence if I slip on the weekends, it'll give me a few days to counter it. My ultimate goal is to lose 75lbs. My new "First Week" goal is 4lbs (since initially you lose more water) and then I'll aim for the standard 2lbs a week.

My immediate goal is just to get through the weekend without sliding back. I currently exercise and take about 10 dance classes a week (hip hop and jazz funk). I need to find time to incorporate weights and "gym cardio". I'll work on this next week. Hopefully this will be my LAST time "turning over a new leaf" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck everyone. Here we go ...

GoblinMason (Craig)
08-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Coincidently, I was planning on getting back into shape about a day before I saw this thread. I spent the summer interning in an office setting and living at home. Two things that are not conducive to me being in shape. I wiegh about the same as I did at the beginning of the summer, but converted a lot of muscle to pudgier tissue.

6'0" and 180 currently. I don't really have a specific weight goal, just to lose the spare tire I've developed.

Is this going to be like the "Pump you up" thread in which we update weekly? It ought to be.

-Craig

Dudd
08-20-2005, 02:16 AM
I'm in. Currently 5'10 205, want to box at school in the spring at probably 160, maybe lower if I can get that far. I was 180 in high school and still had a decent amount of body fat, so I think that would be reasonable.

GoblinMason (Craig)
09-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Bump...How are you guys doing?

I'm still on the wagon...(or is that off the wagon?)

Minus about 5 lbs and + muscle too.

-Craig

12ozLongneck
09-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Things were going well until I came down with a horrible respiratory infection that floored me for about a week and a half. I'm down to 173, but I could have done better were it not for skipping a week and a half at the gym because I was sick.

touchfaith
09-22-2005, 06:55 PM
I need to lose about 35 lbs.

astroglide
09-22-2005, 07:17 PM
you need a new account too

09-22-2005, 08:23 PM
6' and 215 lbs, played high school football at about 175lbs. I would like to get back to that weight.

I'm in.

GoblinMason (Craig)
09-22-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you need a new account too

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...I suggest Thickman.

/obv

InchoateHand
09-22-2005, 10:22 PM
http://shop.ypproducts.co.uk/acatalog/artandrectS.jpg

JihadOnTheRiver
09-22-2005, 10:40 PM
This is a good idea. Just like the rest of these challenges, don't "play above your level" so to speak. Be very careful not to jump into anything and injure yourself. Even shin-splints will fukc you up for a couple weeks.

Prelude008
11-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi,

I'm back! Right after I made the "challenge post" I had to leave for 7 weeks for a family emergency and also had the "luck" of becoming an "evacuee" from Hurricane Rita for the last two weeks. Needless to say, I made no progress and didn't even try.

HOWEVER, since I'm back I started again last Monday. I am using Wednesday-Tuesday my official weight loss week. (Hint: today is Wednesday...incase anyone else wants to join in and keep me company /images/graemlins/laugh.gif) I lost 7 lbs during the first week. I know initially it's mostly water weight. Surprisingly though, I really watched what I ate and cut out "extra empty calories" (i.e. soda, cookies, etc). I am still aiming for 2-3 lbs a week. Wish me luck! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Prelude008
11-02-2005, 06:46 PM
one lil bump

Prelude008
11-03-2005, 07:09 PM
one last try...

Colonel Kataffy
11-03-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wish me luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck.