PDA

View Full Version : Pocket JJs

waynethetrain
08-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Unfortunately, I had no reads yet.

I got very worried when I was raised on the turn because I couldn't figure out what hand he would have raised with on the flop, backed off when I re-raised, and then raised again on the turn - other than TT. Plus I still had to worry about what the button was playing.

I decided to call on the river despite the Q because the pot was very large.

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (14.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB

GrunchCan
08-18-2005, 01:10 PM
I like it. Some may say to 3-bet the turn, but I do not.

GrunchCan
08-18-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I decided to call on the river despite the Q because the pot was very large.

[/ QUOTE ]

That Q looks like a brick to me.

Greg J
08-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I like it on all streets.

davelin
08-18-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like it on all streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

waynethetrain
08-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys.

Just for the record, I want to thank a few of you (especially Grunch Can) for being patient with me earlier in the year when I was suffering through a really tough downturn that was probably partly due to poor play and partly due to horrendous luck. I was early in my poker development and it was very frustrating for me to "not know" whether I was "going bad" or "playing bad" when I felt I had absorbed a lot information even at that point.

In any event, I apologize for anything stupid I said out of frustration and want to report that I am winning fairly steadily and solidly these days after reading many hand discussion on this forum and slowly allowing it to sink in to the point where I apply things much better.

My opponents had:

<font color="white"> A /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif
8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
</font>

davelin
08-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Awesome

Bodhi
08-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Nice hand, seems pretty straightforward.

Bodhi
08-18-2005, 01:39 PM
add them to your buddy list.

GrunchCan
08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
You're welcome. Thank you for the 'thank you'.

I hope things are going well for you.

SoftcoreRevolt
08-18-2005, 02:04 PM
The river queen is a total blank and should be treated like any other undercard, it only beats you if someone has magically hit Two pair, since no one is hanging around here with Qx.

Well, some people might, and if they did you just made a new buddy list friend who will make you oodles of money, so you won anyway.

waynethetrain
08-18-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The river queen is a total blank and should be treated like any other undercard, it only beats you if someone has magically hit Two pair, since no one is hanging around here with Qx.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense!

GrunchCan
08-18-2005, 02:11 PM
That's what I meant to say earlier. Thanks for saying it better.

Fantam
08-18-2005, 03:13 PM
I notice that no one seemed to be too concerned about the possibility of MP2 raising on the flop with a set, for example if he held 77.

Is that because most people think that there are too many other hands that MP2 could also have been raising the flop with, such as the 88 overpair that he had?

08-18-2005, 03:16 PM
man this sounds like my issue right now? how did u turn the game around?
cdl

deception5
08-18-2005, 03:20 PM
First, I like the way this hand was played, looks perfect.

[ QUOTE ]
I notice that no one seemed to be too concerned about the possibility of MP2 raising on the flop with a set, for example if he held 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we are absolutely concerned about this which is why it's correct to slow down on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
Is that because most people think that there are too many other hands that MP2 could also have been raising the flop with, such as the 88 overpair that he had?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. There are many other hands he would play the same way so it is ok for the hero to slow down here (because of the possibility of a slowplayed set) but throwing the hand away would usually be a mistake.

Fantam
08-18-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. There are many other hands he would play the same way

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankyou for the reply. The only hands, which I could possibly see MP2 raising the flop with are say any set, 88-99 (I think that he would probably have 3-bet preflop with a higher pocket pair) or perhaps A7 or K7 if he is very loose. Can you think of any other hands that MP2 might have played this way?

So I would have felt inclined to call down from the flop, but presumably you would consider this to be too passive?