PDA

View Full Version : T7s Buddle Push - Too Aggressive?

Monty Burns
08-18-2005, 01:01 PM
I am not sure if this push was a blunder from a theroy perspective. In favor of the play (and the main idea going through my mind at the time) was that my stack is big enough to make a dent right so I needed to act. The main problems were (1) the fact that I would be pushing into a stack that could call with impunity (2) my hand was pretty weak.

Was this a bad push? If so, what was the minimum pushing hand under these conditions?

Advice/criticism much appreciated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t375)
Hero (t785)
Button (t4075)
SB (t1270)
BB (t1495)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t785 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1270 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

bluefeet
08-18-2005, 01:09 PM
If the BB was t200, this is almost an any-two for me. This one is close, but I might just do the same. With UTG out of the way, and reasonable FE on the blinds...my decision to push or not might be dependant upon button's propensity to call with marginal holdings. The blinds still at t100 might bolster your representation here as well ("not TOO desperate"). You certainly have the right folks in the blinds to try. I don't think it's bad at all.

tigerite
08-18-2005, 01:35 PM
I'd never push that with 7xbb one off the button.

Monty Burns
08-18-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd never push that with 7xbb one off the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you push here?

tigerite
08-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Well, it's not on the bubble, it's 5-handed (what is it with people and saying 'bubble' when it's more than 4 people left? Anyway..) but, to push from here, I'd want probably a top 15-20% hand. I haven't done the maths exactly, and it depends on the table, obviously.

YourFoxyGrandma
08-18-2005, 01:47 PM
I'd say it's probably pretty marginal with no reads. This is one of those hands where calling range is going to make this a pretty clear push or a pretty clear fold.

11t
08-18-2005, 01:52 PM
If the table was weak tight than this is marginal at best. If you think you might get called by KQ though this is a definite fold.

If you were at 5-6xbb and not 7.8xbb than this starts looking a lot prettier. I would probably muck, than look to push from the sb/button the next orbit.

Monty Burns
08-18-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, it's not on the bubble, it's 5-handed (what is it with people and saying 'bubble' when it's more than 4 people left? Anyway..) but, to push from here, I'd want probably a top 15-20% hand. I haven't done the maths exactly, and it depends on the table, obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appreciate the feedback. I also note your point about this not being the buddle. Thanks.

tigerite
08-18-2005, 01:55 PM
This, face-up, is -4.0% $EV. Ouch.

11t
08-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Your cards are not face up /images/graemlins/blush.gif

tigerite
08-18-2005, 02:17 PM
No, I know. But if it's that much -ve when they are, I find it hard to believe being face down will make up enough for it to be +ve in a normal situation.

Basically - you're getting called too much here.

bluefeet
08-18-2005, 02:29 PM
[for the sake of discussion...i have no problem folding either]

but who will be doing the calling though?

1) your push doesn't necessarily look like a "must push any" with these blinds
2) neither blind is close to being desperate
3) both blinds can afford to have their blinds stolen
4) a call+lose cripples either blind

i think the calling range for either blind is extremely high here -- is certainly would be for me.

the "?" to me is the big stack button. sitting one shy of the 'bubble', his range might be close to that of the blinds, wanting to preserve his domination while the shorties open-look for scraps.

given this specific set of conditions (and a read on button), i think it could an effective way to add 20% to your stack..

11t
08-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Exactly, this is a marginal push at a tight table. It is probably just BARELY +EV. I haven't run the numbers or anything.

This hand is all about the calling ranges of your opponents.

08-18-2005, 02:39 PM
I think I reserve this play for when folded to me in the SB, maybe the button depending on my image and the blinds image. The CO 5handed with BB at 100 just isnt worth it IMO, too many ppl left to act.