PDA

View Full Version : PVS Deluxe

suited_ace
08-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1680)
SB (t1533)
Hero (t2135)
UTG (t2652)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, Button calls t600, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2135 (All-In)</font>...

Do you like it?

skipperbob
08-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Have you lost your Mind?...the Button is gonna call unless UTG does

45suited
08-18-2005, 12:40 PM
By "PVS", I take it that you mean "Pointless and Very Stupid"?

11t
08-18-2005, 12:41 PM
I like it if he folded.

This is pretty risky unless you have a read that UTG is awful and if hes awful I'd be scared that he would call with ATs.

I like re-stealing on the bubble but your raise isn't that large and while he is risking a large % of his chips to call you don't have him covered. I think that has some psychological affect on your opponent's willingness to call.

EDIT: I didn't see the button called. This is very foolish imo.

suited_ace
08-18-2005, 12:45 PM
I had a very good table image, so I decided to give it a try. I'm folding here 99% of the time, but I thought I could pull it off in this particular spot.

I had an amazing card run in the beginning of this one. The only hands I showed were AA, KK, AK.

bennies
08-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Are you kidding?

Sure, it might be nice if shortie had 500 chips.

The good news, however, is that the man behind the move is still posting, I thought he had gone...

skipperbob
08-18-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had an amazing card run in the beginning of this one. The only hands I showed were AA, KK, AK

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna need lots of hands like these /images/graemlins/smile.gif

suited_ace
08-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Nah, rakeback got me back in, and my cooler is finally off. My plan is to play 300 tourneys at the $11s until Friday. I'm not playing weekends.

FWIW, both players folded. UTG did me a favor by typing "AA?" before folding. Button went to the tank, typed "AQ" and folded as well. UTG said he had 88 and I believe him.

I know the hand looks donkish at best, but at the time I really thought they were folding often enough to make this +EV.

Karak567
08-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Whoa that takes some cajones.

I don't think this is a very good push. You are going to get called here more often then not.

Looks like your read was accurate, but still, I can't push this here.

suited_ace
08-18-2005, 12:59 PM
At first I was really proud of myself, but then I started getting that "are you mad?" aftertaste, so I thought I'd post the hand.

I guess I'm not gonna try to pull this one off again...

UMTerp
08-18-2005, 01:01 PM
I don't think you want to make this play every time, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as a lot of the other posters do. If UTG is bad/loose, it's your run-of-the-mill squeeze play.

Matt R.
08-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Obviously a very very good read on your part. Not sure what level this is (one of the $11's you're playing?) but you're usually going to get called at least once here -- twice if it's an 11.

This hand is ALL read dependent though, as it won't work 90% of the time or more (probably a conservative estimate?). Excellent read and nh.

08-18-2005, 01:19 PM
what does PVS mean?

Sorry for my newbieness.

cheers

tigerite
08-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Phil Van Sexton - it's when you have a crappy hand and push, from the SB or BB, with junk into a host of limpers.

In this case, I would normally say I hate it. But you went with a read, trusted it, and I don't have a problem with that.

SuitedSixes
08-18-2005, 02:51 PM
I don't think "PVS"ing is good against two people who have VPIPed (one raiser and one cold caller), when you are 2nd in chips with over 7BB. SB is the only person in the world who could like this move.

This looks like a great way to look back on a HH and think, "That was sure stupid." Either Chipleader or #3 are going to lose chips on this hand, you have invested nothing for a chance to either get closer to #1 or distance yourself from #3, pretty good bargain. Instead you decide to risk your tournament life with T6o against two players who like their hands pretty well. Don't be results-oriented this play sucks in every possible way.

johnnybeef
08-18-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think "PVS"ing is good against two people who have VPIPed (one raiser and one cold caller), when you are 2nd in chips with over 7BB. SB is the only person in the world who could like this move.

This looks like a great way to look back on a HH and think, "That was sure stupid." Either Chipleader or #3 are going to lose chips on this hand, you have invested nothing for a chance to either get closer to #1 or distance yourself from #3, pretty good bargain. Instead you decide to risk your tournament life with T6o against two players who like their hands pretty well. Don't be results-oriented this play sucks in every possible way.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just wanted to make sure im reading this correctly.....is suited actually posting strategy advice???? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

SuitedSixes
08-18-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i just wanted to make sure im reading this correctly.....is suited actually posting strategy advice???? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Once a week, Johnny . . . once a week. And only players who I know should know better than something like this. It's like some guy posted a hand yesterday about pushing T2o UTG. If he hadn't screwed up the stack sizes I would have ripped him too.

SuitedSixes
08-18-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil Van Sexton - it's when you have a crappy hand and push, from the SB or BB, with junk into a limper.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

tigerite
08-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Okay, okay. It can be done with 2-3 limpers too, depends on reads.

SuitedSixes
08-18-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, okay. It can be done with 2-3 limpers too, depends on reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to make this brief to avoid making a 2nd strategy post in one day, but . . . the idea of the PVS is a player wants to see a flop for cheap (limps) in hoping of hitting something and you don't let him. Raisers aren't trying to see anything cheaply, those who call raises aren't either. The play described by OP is more of a Squeeze Play . . . in this case a Suicide Squeeze.

It works if the original raiser is just trying to steal the blinds and if the cold caller is a moron.

Phil Van Sexton
08-23-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding?

Sure, it might be nice if shortie had 500 chips.

The good news, however, is that the man behind the move is still posting, I thought he had gone...

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be the worst PVS ever. Maybe I should leave before I cost you guys more money.

nykenny
08-23-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1680)
SB (t1533)
Hero (t2135)
UTG (t2652)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, Button calls t600, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2135 (All-In)</font>...

Do you like it?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like it. i think button is too short for your to have high enough FE.

without knowing how frequently UTG had been pushing thus far (or his pushing standard), it's hard to be confident that he will fold a high percentage of times either.

I would definitely give them a chance to battle on the flop and hopefully button will bust.

- Kenny

Newt_Buggs
08-23-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This may be the worst PVS ever. Maybe I should leave before I cost you guys more money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its good to see you posting again Phil /images/graemlins/grin.gif

durron597
08-23-2005, 05:30 PM
This is only good in a very very very specific situation. However the OP does not describe the opponents so it's impossible to tell.

If you think that UTG and Button are capable of folding 88 and AQ here then it is a good play.

downtown
08-23-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nah, rakeback got me back in, and my cooler is finally off. My plan is to play 300 tourneys at the $11s until Friday. I'm not playing weekends.

FWIW, both players folded. UTG did me a favor by typing "AA?" before folding. Button went to the tank, typed "AQ" and folded as well. UTG said he had 88 and I believe him.

I know the hand looks donkish at best, but at the time I really thought they were folding often enough to make this +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good read but I honestly can't believe the button folded AQ... AQ! He must have never played a SNG before. That player must be so bad that you would have won anyway!

FatalError
08-23-2005, 06:38 PM
If you want to transfer your account balance to "sickvaluebet" to save yourself the time losing it all, that would be nice

AliasMrJones
08-23-2005, 06:44 PM
This isn't a true PVS is it? PVS is after limpers and this is after a raise and a cold call.

I don't like it.

freemoney
08-23-2005, 06:55 PM
you lose because you are simply not good enough to beat the rake

psyduck
08-24-2005, 02:49 AM
Standard.

Kidding. This is pretty stupido.

08-24-2005, 03:12 AM
Jesus christ