PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Break is +EV, if you work on your game.

steamboatin
08-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Just taking a break from poker in and of its self, may or may not be a good idea, but if you use that time to get a perspective, read/study your poker books and improve your game it cam be a very posiitive experience.

I am nearing the end of a self-imposed break from live play. I have continued to play online so I can use Poker Tracker to monitor my VPIP and preflop raises with the goal of getting tighter and more aggressive. Its working.

z80x86
08-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I agree, I've been taking a week long break after playing daily since mid april. Downswing + work + moving to college stress can really get under you skin. Will start up again Saturday!

gildwulf
08-18-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just taking a break from poker in and of its self, may or may not be a good idea, but if you use that time to get a perspective, read/study your poker books and improve your game it cam be a very posiitive experience.

I am nearing the end of a self-imposed break from live play. I have continued to play online so I can use Poker Tracker to monitor my VPIP and preflop raises with the goal of getting tighter and more aggressive. Its working.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this taking a break from poker?

Wada
08-18-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this taking a break from poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I am nearing the end of a self-imposed break from live play.

[/ QUOTE ]

08-18-2005, 05:13 PM
I think sometimes a break entirely unrelated to poker is a positive experience, if only because it purges any residual tilt from your system. You start fresh, clear of emotions or assumptions. Taking a vacation is very important in professions other than poker. It helps to reduce stress levels and maintain productivity over the long run. In fact, the Canadian government requires that companies offer 2 weeks paid vacation to every fulltime employee.