PDA

View Full Version : 4 dudes, 1 car

schwza
08-18-2005, 11:26 AM
i live in a house with a girl and 3 other guys. she has a car. partly to reduce our inevitable tendency to borrow her call all the time, we've been thinking about getting a communal car for the 4 of us.

the problem is insurance. i think the best solution is just put it under one person (probably me, as i have a clean record), but if one person gets in an accident / ticket, the insurance holder gets screwed on future rates (that's how it'd work, right?)

we could also get legit insurance where all 4 are covered, but that would cost about twice what individual insurance would cost (1/2 regular insurance per person).

thoughts?

Al P
08-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Horrible idea.

Brainwalter
08-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Seems like this problem should solve itself. If noone is willing to shoulder the risk of getting the insurance in only his own name, you're going to have to go the "legit" way.

jackdaniels
08-18-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

This idea - it is very bad.

STLantny
08-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Here in missouri, it doenst matter whos name the car/ins. is in, everyone has to have insurance to be able to drive the car. And if someone is in an accident, the person driving's insurance is responsible, not hte owner fo the car.

schwza
08-18-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

want to elaborate?

jackdaniels
08-18-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

want to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am not familiar with the particulars of insurance where you live. That said though, I wouldn't take the responsibility for someone elses driving. What if one of them drives drunk? Likely your insurance is null and void and you are on the hook for whatever penalties are assessed (sp?). Either way, even if there is a minor accident and your insurance DOES cover the damages - now you have to face higher rates for the next few years and I doubt your roomates will want to split THAT with you.

It is just too much responsibility to take for someone who isn't a family member or like a BEST friend (maybe - not even sure about that one).

slickpoppa
08-18-2005, 11:50 AM
dont sh1t where you eat

FouTight
08-18-2005, 11:52 AM
so, to avoid the envitable borrowing of her box all the time, do you guys share a communal hooker?

young nut
08-18-2005, 12:12 PM
As a student of insurance graduating in a few months, I don't believe this will work.

Car insurance companies need to know who will be driving the car mostly (as in you, and sometimes family) But when it comes to room mates, most if not all auto insurance companies will deny a claim if a room mate was driving your car and got in an accident. The exception to this is when you pay for the extra coverage for your room mates, but this would likely be complicated and sometimes costly.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to get the insurance in your name, keep your record clean.

touchfaith
08-18-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

want to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will. Why the [censored] would anyone want to open themselves up to this type of possible liability?

Insurance doesn't cover you when the parents of the dead kid comes to sue the registered owner of the vehicle that killed their baby.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Here's your answer...

http://photos2.flickr.com/1537127_8d3b51f8f2.jpg

craig r
08-18-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's your answer...

http://photos2.flickr.com/1537127_8d3b51f8f2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that is even more homoerotic than the title of this thread.

craig

Al P
08-18-2005, 12:38 PM
I just mean 4 dudes sharing 1 car is the lamest thing ever. Don't you guys ever go on dates?

2planka
08-18-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we've been thinking about getting a communal car for the 4 of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/wormtowne/01sausage.jpg

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Who needs a car?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/OOTtub.jpg

BusterStacks
08-18-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

want to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. If any of these douches wanted to drive bad enough they would have their own car.