PDA

View Full Version : Extreme preflop conditions

Tilt
08-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Yesterday I found myself in a 200 PLO game with crazy conditions. There was a maniac at the table who raised the pot preflop on every hand. There were several loose aggressives on tilt that called these bets, making for huge preflop pots on every hand. Usually there were 7 to the flop for a full pot raise. And on every hand, at least one player pushed all-in and most pots wound up as 3 way all-ins or more.

Players were pushing the flop with lower 2 pair and all kinds of weak draws. The situation had me wondering about the following questions:

1) What would you call preflop with in this situation, keeping in mind that you are committing at 5-10% of your stack preflop and must go all-in on the flop or fold?

I varied my usual starting hand requirements by requiring that hands had to have a decent pair in them generally. With my only decision point coming on the flop, a decent set makes for the easiest decisions. But knowing that you would have to push any flop, I deeply discounted hands like up and downs and flush draws if there was no pair in the hand. So my calling range was:
55-77 + Axs, 4 up and down starting at 7+ on button
88-TT + 3 up/down no gaps or single K high flush draw in LP
99-JJ + 3 up/down 1 gap, or double suited, or single Q high flush draw in MP or better
Any QQ+, any double pair, anywhere

2) What would you push/call the push on the flop with?

You could not read these players on the flop, they were so tilted...they were pushing on single pairs, over pairs, all kinds of stuff. Some decisions were easy, like a nut flush draw in a 5 way, or almost any set under these conditions seemed good enough. Others were tough...like top and bottom pair with a Q high flush draw on a straightless board...K high flush + nut straight draw....top two pair and no redraws, etc. The situation required assessing the strength of your flopped hand against a relative average, since there was little information to be gleaned about what you were up against.

Two things I quickly realized is that you could not afford to call those preflop raises unless you were willing to push any equity edge on the flop. And the other thing I learned is that re-raising all-in with AA when you routinely get 6-7 callers gets really expensive /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Ribbo
08-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Suited aces go way up in value. Low pocket pairs lose almost all value as on any flop where you hit a low set and people are shoving, you have no idea if it's good or not. In a game like this straights will rarely be the nuts by the river, so playing hands with straights plus redraws is important. Unsuited straight wraps might end up being trouble. Wheel cards very nice as always IMHO.

08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So my calling range was:
99-JJ + 3 up/down 1 gap, or double suited, or single Q high flush draw in MP or better

[/ QUOTE ]
Newbie trying to make sense of the PLO jargon.

Does "55-77 + Axs" mean a hand like: As Js 7h 7d?
What is a "4 up and down"? something like: 8d 9h Tc Js?
And is "88-TT + 3 up/down no gaps" a hand like: Th Td Jc Qs?

Tilt
08-18-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So my calling range was:

[/ QUOTE ]
Newbie trying to make sense of the PLO jargon.

Does "55-77 + Axs" mean a hand like: As Js 7h 7d?
What is a "4 up and down"? something like: 8d 9h Tc Js?
And is "88-TT + 3 up/down no gaps" a hand like: Th Td Jc Qs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes, and yes

LA_Price
08-18-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) What would you call preflop with in this situation, keeping in mind that you are committing at 5-10% of your stack preflop and must go all-in on the flop or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on how badly he plays post flop. But generally try to play hands that play well multi way. Things like suited aces and two pair hands, rundowns like 89TJ with flush draws. I think in these type of games players tend to worry too much about what they play preflop and not enough of how they play post flop. I would also tighten up in early position because it turns many hands into a "playing loser" if the LAG is playing somewhat well. Your preflop play should put you in position to win big post flop. Think about

1. What are my cards
2. How bad does my opponent play
3. What will my relative position be to that of the raiser- you generally want to be in a position to trap people in between the LAG and you. So in some cases you'll bet out and others check raise to trap people in the middle
4. How much money do each of us have- if the stack are deep and he goes to the felt with overpair hands then you can call with many more hands. but keep in mind where the other people in the hand will be.

[ QUOTE ]
What would you push/call the push on the flop with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be pushing with the two pair, pair + nut flush, wrap straight draws,sets.... Hands that figure to have an equity edge over what the LAg has. Your variance will go up but so will your expectation. Same with pushing AA. Against 6 or 7 players your equity is huge but you're not a 2:1 favorite to win the pot so it seems like you're throwing money away but your profit over the long term should still be quite good.