PDA

View Full Version : The best player you have never heard of......

ipp147
08-18-2005, 10:19 AM
William Duarte apparently

CP Article (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/showarticle.php?a_id=14904&m_id=65570)

Jordan Olsommer
08-18-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

CP Article (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/showarticle.php?a_id=14904&m_id=65570)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh...well at least you found yours - my "best player I've never heard of" always seems to be just out of my reach. Whenever I think I've found one, he no longer qualifies.

Analyst
08-18-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh...well at least you found yours - my "best player I've never heard of" always seems to be just out of my reach. Whenever I think I've found one, he no longer qualifies.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best player I've never heard of always seems to be sitting to my immediate left.

drewjustdrew
08-18-2005, 02:03 PM
I think your post should have said "The best player I have never heard of......

henrikrh
08-18-2005, 05:56 PM
No the best player you've never heard about is Phil Ivery, hotshot african american kid coming out of Atlantic city. I think he might just be the next Johnny Moss or Jack Straus.

Greg (FossilMan)
08-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Billy really is a great player, especially pot limit. I put the worst beat on Billy that I ever put on anybody. We're in a PLO side game at the WSOP in 2001 or 2002. I raise preflop with AdQhJhTd, Billy reraises, and I call. We are heads-up. The flop is:

Ah Qd 6h

So, I have top two pair, the second nut flush draw, and a gutshot straight draw. I bet, Billy raises, and I decide to go all-in, because even if Billy has the set of Aces he's supposed to have, I have lots of outs to beat it and am not very far behind at all, and if he does not have top set, he could be drawing pretty slim with a good hand like KKQJ.

As it turns out, Billy has AAKh9h, so he has my two pair crippled with his top set, and my 2nd nut flush draw crippled with his nut flush draw. I have 3 outs in the deck, and even if one of them hits, Billy has 15 outs to beat me on the other card.

We agree to run it twice, and I proceed to beat Billy both times.

The chances of my winning on the first attempt were 8.42%, and the chances of winning on the second attempt, after having won the first time, were down to 5.64%. Together, my chances of winning BOTH times were about 210-1 against.

Admittedly, I've put runner-runner perfect beats on people, which is almost 1000-1 against, but this hand still stands out in my mind as being the worst beat ever. Psychologically, it's just more cruel to know you have somebody so sewed up, and then they beat you both times.

later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

riverboatking
08-18-2005, 08:17 PM
i play with billy all the time in the 20-40NL at commerce...he's good. real good.

TimTimSalabim
08-18-2005, 09:08 PM
The best poker player you've never heard of is Bill Brasky. A ten-foot-tall, two-ton son of a bitch who could eat a hammer and take a shotgun blast standing!

Quicksilvre
08-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Chip Reese would be the answer for most people, I'd bet.