PDA

View Full Version : can Heads Up be profitable in the long term?

08-18-2005, 09:10 AM
just recently i've started playing heads up just to have a change of pace. there are some nights i can't lose. and then of course there are nights where i can't even pair and my opponent hits every single hand. you figure you play a couple $20 heads up an hour and win the majority of them your good.

Swedebubba
08-18-2005, 09:22 AM
I have been playing headsup Omaha PL ($5.25) - man that is a blast. I started with $50 and have turnined it into $200 in a week and a half of playing. I just play a few games a day when i want to take a break from the ring game grind.

I don't know how profitable Holdem headsup is as there seems to be more variance when I played it headsup but in Omaha the other plays just flat out suck.

bitznbytz
08-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I started doing the same thing myself, though I've only been hitting the $5 and $10 buyin games. I play these (almost) for entertainment value alone. I make some monkey plays and goof off and feel like I can still come out ahead /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nyc999
08-18-2005, 01:47 PM
What site(s) offer this option?

The Yugoslavian
08-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Of course HU can be profitable in the long term. In fact, it certainly can be very profitable.

I recently have been playing a lot myself on Stars and have had discussions with other 2+2ers as to the profitability of just HU.

The main drawback is that one simply can't multitable them effectively. One's margin of victory starts getting sliced up a *ton* to the point where if playing higher stakes HU, playing even 2 tables is likely less profitable for just about everyone.

The good news is that you can play several per hour even single tabling if you play NL Hold 'Em and the opposition is pretty awful. I don't think it's unreasonable for a very good HU player (not me) to win at a 60% clip (20% ROI) even up to the $50 or $100 level. At the lower buyins I think a bit more can be acheived.

It's reasonable to get in 3-4 per hour (NL Hold Em anyways) and thus can match STT multitablers in terms of profitability....

There is way more goin' on in HU too, btw....it's a much richer game in many ways, IMO.

Yugoslav

08-19-2005, 04:48 AM
anyone else with success in heads up hold em?

Phill S
08-19-2005, 10:48 AM
I love it, xyz is what i love about playing poker, and you play a lot more xyz than abc at HU games.

Any idea on the variance Yugo? How many buy ins does a HU SnG require (stars $20 games if we need a specific)?

This is a game im going to concentrate on when i get back into poker.

Btw, i would imagine multitabling 3 other full table NL games (or PL omaha if you can play it) and just peddle the nuts would be quite profitable as well; low concentration required and a nice addition to the hourly.

Im not a big multitabler atm, but ive played a heads up and two PL holdem games at once and ive played two HU games at once (two HU really is a detriment to your returns).

Phill

08-19-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love it, xyz is what i love about playing poker, and you play a lot more xyz than abc at HU games.

Any idea on the variance Yugo? How many buy ins does a HU SnG require (stars $20 games if we need a specific)?

This is a game im going to concentrate on when i get back into poker.

Btw, i would imagine multitabling 3 other full table NL games (or PL omaha if you can play it) and just peddle the nuts would be quite profitable as well; low concentration required and a nice addition to the hourly.

Im not a big multitabler atm, but ive played a heads up and two PL holdem games at once and ive played two HU games at once (two HU really is a detriment to your returns).

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

I play $5 HU for fun, and the play is absolutely terrible--often the donks just will push in for 1000 preflop with 5/10 blinds. Anyway, I can win between 60 and 70% of them, and they take about 10 min each. I assume both of these numbers'll be a little worse in $20, but I make over a buy-in an hour, and it's way more fun.