PDA

View Full Version : What would you do in Groundhog Day...

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Think stuck in some small town by a blizzard. But you do have a nice library and Internet connection available, etc. What would you do with all the time?

kurosh
08-18-2005, 08:39 AM
[censored] sorry I'm very tired. I didn't think you were talking about the movie.

bosoxfan
08-18-2005, 08:40 AM
There must be a joke about all your posts in here somewhere but i'm not clever enough to come up with it. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

imported_The Vibesman
08-18-2005, 08:47 AM
Two chicks.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Bill Murray learned to play the piano and a bunch of other stuff. If you were given that unlimited time with access to the internet, what would you master?

Slow Play Ray
08-18-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a waste - all of your winnings would be gone the next morning! Then again, all of your losses would be back too.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a waste - all of your winnings would be gone the next morning! Then again, all of your losses would be back too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could log a lotta hours at whatever limits you wanted until you could beat them though.

thatpfunk
08-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Stay up the whole night so I wouldn't be stuck in the same [censored] day anymore?

imported_The Vibesman
08-18-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could log a lotta hours at whatever limits you wanted until you could beat them though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd end up playing the same people who had the same hands over and over again. That would be weird, and it would be hard not to exploit that.

I'd probably learn to play guitar better (I can play, but not as well as I wanted to when I started), learn the piano and bass, and take writing classes, as well as reading all the poker books out there.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd end up playing the same people who had the same hands over and over again. That would be weird, and it would be hard not to exploit that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What about learning languages? That would be cool.

Slow Play Ray
08-18-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it would be pretty fun to call EVERYONE's hand at your table, EVERY time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

imported_The Vibesman
08-18-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it would be pretty fun to call EVERYONE's hand at your table, EVERY time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think we finally found an explanation for the guy who calls a cap preflop w/ 10-8, caps every street and rivers a straight. I knew he knew what was coming!

That languages thing is actually a great idea. I'd learn four or five.

JayLear
08-18-2005, 09:25 AM
I'd probably learn to play piano, get into a snowball fight with some kids, save someone from choking to death on food, among other hijinks all in an effort to make my news crew producer fall in love with me. Then frustrated I'd attempt over and over again to kill myself until she finally falls for me and together we discover the meaning of life.

Slow Play Ray
08-18-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think we finally found an explanation for the guy who calls a cap preflop w/ 10-8, caps every street and rivers a straight. I knew he knew what was coming!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I meant call everyone's hand as in "your 8s are good" but yeah, that would be fun too.

junkmail3
08-18-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could be smart and play at different tables each night. And I doubt that guy who called you with K3o the first night would call your raise the second night.

You could also play different sites, swith from party to empire to multi.

imported_The Vibesman
08-18-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Or you could be smart and play at different tables each night. And I doubt that guy who called you with K3o the first night would call your raise the second night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it. If he calls once, he's going to call every time. To him it's the same night. And after a while, you'd run out of different tables.

[ QUOTE ]
You could also play different sites, swith from party to empire...

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Soul Daddy
08-18-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You could also play different sites, swith from party to empire

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Too much poker talk, methinks. I'd definitely learn everything I could about music.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

Slow Play Ray
08-18-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much poker talk, methinks. I'd definitely learn everything I could about music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would definitely master the guitar and learn the piano. And do 2 chicks.

This reminds me of that conversation from Office Space:

Peter: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.
Peter: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.

imported_The Vibesman
08-18-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would definitely master the guitar and learn the piano. And do 2 chicks.

This reminds me of that conversation from Office Space:

Peter: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.
Peter: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was referencing that when I said it. Probably belongs in the trite overused quote thread, but what the hell...

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 10:08 AM
So if you decided to kill someone, but knew they would just be back alive at 5:43 or whatever time the next morning, is it wrong? (Maybe I'll cross-post this to the Trainwreck.)

TheMainEvent
08-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Well the question was what would you do if you were stuck living the same day over and over again, and so far we have play lots of online poker and learn an instrument. Some imagination on this group...

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-18-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well the question was what would you do if you were stuck living the same day over and over again, and so far we have play lots of online poker and learn an instrument. Some imagination on this group...

[/ QUOTE ]
No [censored]. Nobody's playing the lottery?

imported_The Vibesman
08-18-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, think of the imagination it takes to not even come up with anything and just make fun of everyone else /images/graemlins/cool.gif

imported_The Vibesman
08-18-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother? Gone the next day.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the answer is that unless it's the day of the number reading, you have no knowledge of the numbers to be read anyway. You only have knowledge of that one day.

Soul Daddy
08-18-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So, unlike the movie, we have no hope to ever to escape this cycle?

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's just like the movie. You have hope, but you don't know how to end it.

DukeSucks
08-18-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we can't keep it, can we pull out the ticket after we won, and give to a hot chick? I'm sure you'd laid that night.

junkmail3
08-18-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Soul Daddy
08-18-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's just like the movie. You have hope, but you don't know how to end it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then playing the lottery (if the results were issued that day) or "gambling" on sports would be a must. It would take mere minutes from your day, but the payoff would be immense if you ever figured out the key to escape.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then playing the lottery (if the results were issued that day) or "gambling" on sports would be a must. It would take mere minutes from your day, but the payoff would be immense if you ever figured out the key to escape.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you know what numbers to play? You still have no knowledge of the future, just that one day.

Slow Play Ray
08-18-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to bring up the dreaded p-word again, but I was just thinking about this: you could easily ensure randomizing everyone's cards by slightly altering something about what you do from day-to-day. For example, you could ask the dealer for a wash or a new setup at different points throughout the day. Theoretically, you could use much more subtle techniques like asking the dealer questions or let a chip roll in their direction to throw off their shuffling rhythm (chaos theory anyone?). The possibilities are virtually endless, but anyway you get the point...

Soul Daddy
08-18-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you know what numbers to play? You still have no knowledge of the future, just that one day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's why I said "if the results were issued that day." You'd still know what happened that day in sports though.

RunDownHouse
08-18-2005, 10:47 AM
I would do every drug (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3164924&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) known to mankind.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's why I said "if the results were issued that day." You'd still know what happened that day in sports though.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, you could get up that morning and place massive bets on games that evening.

benza13
08-18-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to bring up the dreaded p-word again, but I was just thinking about this: you could easily ensure randomizing everyone's cards by slightly altering something about what you do from day-to-day. For example, you could ask the dealer for a wash or a new setup at different points throughout the day. Theoretically, you could use much more subtle techniques like asking the dealer questions or let a chip roll in their direction to throw off their shuffling rhythm (chaos theory anyone?). The possibilities are virtually endless, but anyway you get the point...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true for live play, and I am thinking that online with the RNGs that if you just vary your play a little bit from day to day that you won't see the same cards, or that you would at least be able to get some variance. Its my understanding that milliseconds can change what the cards are, so this should make a difference, right?

Slow Play Ray
08-18-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true for live play, and I am thinking that online with the RNGs that if you just vary your play a little bit from day to day that you won't see the same cards, or that you would at least be able to get some variance. Its my understanding that milliseconds can change what the cards are, so this should make a difference, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, even the best randomizers are not truly random. I know the random function in C code is actually somehow based on the computer clock. I imagine this is true for other types of randomizers as well.

TheWorstPlayer
08-18-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, even the best randomizers are not truly random. I know the random function in C code is actually somehow based on the computer clock. I imagine this is true for other types of randomizers as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow this is off topic now but apparently the online randomizers use things like heat entropy to ensure that they are truly random. Way more random than the pseudo-random number generators based on the PC clock. So actually the hands will not play themselves over again even online on groundhog day because tiny quantum effects will actually randomize the cards even though all of the large things taking place in the world are happening again identically. This must be the case because if really NOTHING changed then YOU wouldn't be able to do anything different, either. Therefore, it is the same date, but not the exact same things happen. Therefore, truly random numbers will still be randomly generated differently from the last time the day happened.

Slow Play Ray
08-18-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow this is off topic now but apparently the online randomizers use things like heat entropy to ensure that they are truly random. Way more random than the pseudo-random number generators based on the PC clock. So actually the hands will not play themselves over again even online on groundhog day because tiny quantum effects will actually randomize the cards even though all of the large things taking place in the world are happening again identically. This must be the case because if really NOTHING changed then YOU wouldn't be able to do anything different, either. Therefore, it is the same date, but not the exact same things happen. Therefore, truly random numbers will still be randomly generated differently from the last time the day happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as "heat entropy" but I get your point. Interesting.

touchfaith
08-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Teech myself how to understand sheep.

Slow Play Ray
08-18-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so they will succumb to your advances?

TheWorstPlayer
08-18-2005, 11:40 AM
The funny thing is that I knew that when I typed it. It's actually just 'entropy' as measured by heat. But glad you got my point.

touchfaith
08-18-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so they will succumb to your advances?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only knew how much sheep can teach us...if only we could listen

PLOlover
08-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Unprotected sex. With 17 year olds.
At least try.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At least try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh good one. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheWorstPlayer
08-18-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At least try.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this 17-year olds, or 17 year-olds?

PLOlover
08-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Multiple girls who are 17. Or 17-ish. HaHa.

PLOlover
08-18-2005, 01:24 PM
But it's not like I'm a pedo, I mean they would have to have big knockers.

TheWorstPlayer
08-18-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Multiple girls who are 17. Or 17-ish. HaHa.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh good. I was afraid for a second that you took my idea.

PLOlover
08-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Not to be a nit, but you must have meant 17 year-olds.

meep_42
08-18-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you started at the same time and sat in the same spot every day.

-d

WDC
08-18-2005, 02:10 PM
I have always wanted to read a biography of every president in Order.

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally the kind of answer i was looking for. Something interesting but not so obvious.

mslif
08-18-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally the kind of answer i was looking for. Something interesting but not so obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only took 52 replies /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well where's your response?

TheWorstPlayer
08-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I asked:
[ QUOTE ]
Is this 17-year olds, or 17 year-olds?

[/ QUOTE ]
You responded that you meant the girls were 17. I then said that I was happy that's what you meant, because I thought that perhaps you had taken my idea (obviously meaning the other option).

Then you said:
[ QUOTE ]
Not to be a nit, but you must have meant 17 year-olds.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure in what sense you are being a nit. Or what you mean. Obviously, I meant 17 girls who are each one year old.

mslif
08-18-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well where's your response?

[/ QUOTE ]

To tell you the truth, I have no idea what I would do because everything would get old pretty fast. The news would always be the same as well as the people around you. I think it would depress me

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To tell you the truth, I have no idea what I would do because everything would get old pretty fast. The news would always be the same as well as the people around you. I think it would depress me

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. I think the opposite. I'd have as much time as I wanted to learn/practice anything I wanted w/o all the daily distractions caused by change.

PLOlover
08-18-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure in what sense you are being a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Must be 4 table-ing.

peachy
08-18-2005, 04:08 PM
i love this movie...i dunno what id do though...something new everyday /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i love this movie...i dunno what id do though...something new everyday /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the over-unbder on how many days it would be before peachy even noticed?

mslif
08-18-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. I think the opposite. I'd have as much time as I wanted to learn/practice anything I wanted w/o all the daily distractions caused by change.

[/ QUOTE ]

But changes are what make life interesting. Additionally, you stated in your original post that the town is being affedted by a blizzard. That means you would have stay inside, day after day...

Crveballin
08-18-2005, 04:34 PM
I think I would be able to find a way to sneak into an army base. Learn how to fly and steal a Stealth bomber. Fly it half-way round the world and bomb the [censored] out of parts of Afghanistan hoping to find/kill Bin Ladin.

TheWorstPlayer
08-18-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I would be able to find a way to sneak into an army base...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where I stopped reading. No, you wouldn't.

2planka
08-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Step 1: destroy the damn alarm clock.

Then I would master the art of pickpocketing.

Crveballin
08-18-2005, 04:37 PM
It worked in Season 4 of 24.

Ser William
08-18-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So if you decided to kill someone, but knew they would just be back alive at 5:43 or whatever time the next morning, is it wrong? (Maybe I'll cross-post this to the Trainwreck.)

[/ QUOTE ]

But aren't we going under the assumption that at some point, you might wake up and time has moved on? It would be just my luck that the day I break the cycle is the day after I killed John Stamos.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-18-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But changes are what make life interesting. Additionally, you stated in your original post that the town is being affedted by a blizzard. That means you would have stay inside, day after day...

[/ QUOTE ]
Who stays inside during a blizzard?

jakethebake
08-18-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But aren't we going under the assumption that at some point, you might wake up and time has moved on? It would be just my luck that the day I break the cycle is the day after I killed John Stamos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would be a lucky thing for the rest of us. i don't know about you.

grengrad
08-18-2005, 06:17 PM
I love the movie and have given this a lot of thought.

1. At all times throught the time period I would play the lottery if it was a day in which numbers were drawn or bet a massive 10 team parlay if it was on a day of any major sport.
2.I would spend a week or two working on the art of picking up ladies. You always have time to learn a language or an instrument, but how often do you get the chance to repeat the same thing over and over with all the same variables and see what works best.
3. I would spend a week or two practicing poker live if there was a local cardroom or underground game. Again the chance to try a different moves in similar situations versus the same opponents would be very interesting.
4. I would do a plethora of things I dont have the balls to do now, for example. The fastest I have ever driver is about 145 MPH on a highway; I would go all out blazing down and around local roads despite the storm(emmm fun). I would think up more as time went on, like freebase jumping. I might even start a few completely random bar fights just for amusement.
5. I would spend a lot of time just bullshitting with different people in town learning about them and their take on life.
6. I would learn Hungarian. It is where my great grampa came from and I never learned the language.
7. I would master 9 ball, piano, and bowling.
8. Life's time constraints prevent us from having as much fun and relaxation as we would like to, because we have to pay the bills, etc, etc. Knowing that I have no need to make money or worry about anything since this day forever repeats... after I completed the above list I would simply party and have fun every single day for the rest of the time period. I would go for long walks in the cold, meet and chill with random people.

Get tired of the town your in? When you wake at 6AM steal a pickup or SUV and go for a ride thru whatever fields/woods etc you have to get to get to the next nearest town, it could not take more then a few hours each day and then spend several months in each neighboring town getting to know them.

tdarko
08-18-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably belongs in the trite overused quote thread, but what the hell...

[/ QUOTE ]
no way.

RRRRICK
08-18-2005, 06:34 PM
And put your little hand in mine!!!!!

BadBoyBenny
08-18-2005, 08:21 PM
I would learn to golf really well.
I would learn to fight really well.
I would learn some kind of music since the chicks seem to like that.
I would study science, all of it for a long time.
I would try to solve some science problem or cure some disease with my knowledge and leave the solution on an anonymous piece of paper so that the world that moves on when I go back to morning would have it.
I would learn to throw a boomerang.
I would find a girl who would do me and nail her day after day until it got boring.
I would master chess.
I would master ping pong.
I would get a million different hairstyles.
I would memorize all the answers to trivia pursuit.
I would read a lot of history.
I would smoke a lot of cigarettes and take whatever drugs were available.

JoshuaD
08-19-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the over-unbder on how many days it would be before peachy even noticed?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would probably take me a few days to notice. The big give away would be the food replenishing itself in my fridge.

tinga81
08-19-2005, 12:15 AM
I didn't even read the responses, and mine will now be buried deep .. but, I live in the town that they filmed the movie in.

I live the blizzard every day.