PDA

View Full Version : KQo flops second pair. How to play?

08-18-2005, 07:42 AM
expekt.com 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif,Q /images/graemlins/club.gif
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, MP2 calls, 1 fold, <font color="red"> Hero raises </font>, 1 fold, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds

Flop: (9 SB) 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif, A /images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets </font>, SB folds, <font color="red">BB raises </font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls

Turn: (6.5 BB) T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (6.5 BB) 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB bets, Hero ???

The BB has not played many hands at the table, but seems to be LP. When he check-raised me on the flop I put him on Ax. I checked behind him on the turn to get a free card and to avoid another check-raise. Is the pot big enough to justify a call with second pair here?

thesharpie
08-18-2005, 08:00 AM
I like the turn check. You have up to 9 outs if behind and would rather not put 2 big bets in. It's also unlikely he was raising some draw as he's likely loose passive and the only draw out there is a gutshot that could've got there, but forgot about that a LPP doesn't check raise a gutshot. If you do have the best hand you also don't have to worry about overcards.

How good is your read on villian? Against a tricky guy it's an easy call. If he's fairly unknown I'd probably call it.

MATT111
08-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Strange line by BB.
I think you are good more than 1 times out of 7.5.
Call.

08-18-2005, 08:03 AM
I would've bet the turn. You have 9 outs (2Q+3K+4J) if you put him on A-x, and you're ahead if he has K-J.

Fantam
08-18-2005, 08:11 AM
I dont think the pot is big enough to warrant a river call.

I doubt that BB check/raised you on the flop with bottom pair or a Q with a weaker kicker than yours. I expect that you are correct in thinking that he has Ax, espescially as you consider him to be loose passive.

You could call the river bet, and congratulate yourself on your hand reading when he shows you Ax. Alternatively I think that you would probably be correct to fold.

Just on a light note, I sometimes find that players at micro-stakes limits show you their hands anyway if you fold to their river bet. I dont think they realise how much information they are giving away. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

08-18-2005, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

How good is your read on villian? Against a tricky guy it's an easy call. If he's fairly unknown I'd probably call it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have only 26 hands with him in PT, and his stats are VPIP 50%, PFR 0, AF 0.44. So he seems very LPP. But I have problem using this information in the heat of battle.

08-18-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I would've bet the turn. You have 9 outs (2Q+3K+4J) if you put him on A-x, and you're ahead if he has K-J.

[/ QUOTE ]

How am I ahead on the turn if he has K-J? Besides I don't think he has that, because that makes his flop play very strange.

Why should I bet if I have the second best hand (assuming he's got Ax), when I can check to get a free card. This play would make sense if thougt he made a c/r bluff and his check on the turn shows weakness.

ArturiusX
08-18-2005, 08:39 AM
I like how you played it. Call the river.

08-18-2005, 08:53 AM
whoops, you're right, sorry about the KJ /images/graemlins/blush.gif

If you take the free card, then I think you should fold on the river. If you call on the river, might as well have bet the turn and fold to a raise.

On the other hand, why would he check? If he doesn't raise you, you have a good chance.

Maybe the free card is not so bad after all, but it's not worth fighting anymore after it if it doesn't hit you.

jrz1972
08-18-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like how you played it. Call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marquis
08-18-2005, 10:21 AM
There's no way you can't call that river when the opponent plays the hand so strangely. Be glad you got a cheap showdown and call. Nice turn check, btw.

GrunchCan
08-18-2005, 10:27 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that the opponent has at least TP here. I really don't want to call the river. Maybe I do, but I don't want to.

bjarne
08-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Call. Watch Ax win the pot. Curse a bit. Move on to the next hand.

08-18-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Call. Watch Ax win the pot. Curse a bit. Move on to the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I do this to get some info., but at what point does this become a problem and when do you begin pissing away chips to get information that you were pretty sure you knew to begin with?

I think at some point you have to become comfortable with your hand reading skills and begin to laydown those hands.

Duerig
08-18-2005, 12:34 PM
This is .10/.20. People make some weird plays. I think it's worth calling the river.

08-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Well, I actually folded here. I thought it was a great fold at the time but then I read some of Ed Miller's posts where he says people fold to much with decent hands when the pot is big. I think I should have called here. Thanks for all your comments.