PDA

View Full Version : AJo in the BB

kurosh
08-18-2005, 07:06 AM
TAG UTG raises and it's folded around to you in the BB with AJo.

Do you call or fold?

What's your plan on an ace-high flop?

jack-high flop?

raggy flop?

thesharpie
08-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Fold preflop.

On an A high flop I'll use the WA/WB line.
On a J high flop I'll probably check raise the flop.
On a ragged flop I'll check fold.

brettbrettr
08-18-2005, 10:04 AM
I fold.

Stinkybeaver
08-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Are we folding simply b/c we are ahead of very few holdings that UTG would raise here,..?

Whats the raising range of utg. 77-AA + ATs/AJo and up and KQo..?

I guess it does makes sense to fold since we are not ahead of many hands that UTG raises. The ones that we could beat (low/mid pairs and AT/KQ) will not give us much action, and say it's an A high flop I guess we are going to be the donater much of the time...

But I'd like a clear cut explanation since I'm most likely calling this, but perhaps I won't anymore /images/graemlins/blush.gif

thesharpie
08-18-2005, 10:27 AM
It depends on the limit. At a lower limit I think he's liable to have a wider range UTG, but the rake is too high to compensate. At higher limits he's liable to have a tighter range. So we should fold this at all levels.

Stinkybeaver
08-18-2005, 10:33 AM
thinking this trough It really makes sense...

nice to find a spot where I'm probably spewing since I'll loose quite a few bets if the flop goes Ahigh with rags.

I might win a few when it's a Jack high board but still there are too many hands That I'm paying off.

lozen
08-18-2005, 10:43 AM
How about if you get a few more callers?

pokerjunky
08-18-2005, 10:51 AM
How about if you hold something like QJo or JTo?

08-18-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about if you get a few more callers?

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding preflop is correct being out of position heads up vs and utg raiser. But with each person who calls the utg raiser, your pot odds get larger and larger and at some point already being halfway in should make this a call. The number of callers you need is debatable and also dependent on how the other opponents play. But your call out of the big blind is only correct if you can play your hand well postflop. Which means if the flop comes ace high and you bet into the raiser(which is what you should do) and he raises, you should call if its one more bet back to you and be prepared to fold unimproved on 4th street. If you cant do this then it would never be correct for you to call with AJo out of the BB vs a typical utg raiser.